RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedersoli High Wall...opinions

Boolit Master

Pedersoli High Wall...opinions

Well, I was all set to buy a Winchester 1885 and then today I saw the Pedersoli High Wall for sale at Cabelas. Anyone know anything about these guns? I'm familiar with Pedersoli Sharps and I'm very favorably impressed with them but know nothing about the Pedersoli High Wall. Has anyone handled one? Shot one? I'd appreciate some feedback. I'm ready to buy but want to make sure I get the better choice of the two. Right now Cabelas has the Pedersoli High Wall at a very good price, about the same as the Winchester. Thanks

Boolit Master
    There is one well documented nightmare right here on CB by our own Buckshot.
    What an ordeal he went through to get a serviceable barrel for his rifle.
    I dont know how you would find the thread he started about it as its been a couple years I think.

Boolit Master
    I think Buckshot had barrel troubles with an Uberti !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    I think Buckshot had barrel troubles with an Uberti !

Jerry
    I think you're right. Here's a thread by Buckshot concerning his "returned" Uberti Hi-Wall in 38-55.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...erti+High+Wall

FWIW, I recently bought a new Uberti Hi-Wall in 45-70 and other than a slightly "gritty" trigger that I knew about when I bought it, it's a well-made and accurate rifle.

Boolit Master

GLL is correct, it was a Uberti.
    Now, with all that being said, I have a Uberti HiWall 45-70, and it looks beautiful and shoots
    great.
    I do not believe that there is a company out among us that has not had a "lemon" go out the door. The problem that Buckshot had was getting it done fast and correctly by the importer.
    Jack

Boolit Buddy

NSB
    I own a Pedersoli Hi Wall in 38-55. You will not be disappointed in the rifle as far as fit and finish. I, unfortunately have too many projects going to give you absolutes as far as loads etc. I am happy with the rifle and happy with the preliminary results as far as accuracy is concerned. PM me if you wish any further info.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Sorry ! My mistake on the manufacturer.

I've had my Pedersoli 38/55 for approximately 12 months. Mated with Starline long brass and a Paul Jones modified Creedmoor bullet that weighs 374gn it has been the easiest BPCR I have ever tuned. A fireforming load of 46.5gn Swiss No.2 shoots accurately but the 50gn BP loads are simply magic easily holding 'black' on a pistol target at 200yards.

The combination of the long PJ bullet and the 1:12 twist barrel is surely a winner for Pedersoli. They also market a Sharps model and a rolling block with the fast twist barrel. The single set trigger takes a bit of getting used to for someone used to the double set triggers of the Sharps

I ordered my mould with a .371 nose, the first two driving bands .373 and the last 3 at .380, when cast 1:30. The first band engraves on the rifling at loading.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Bad ass wallace,long time no see.
    How did you survive the floods? No damage?
    I bought a 380 mold off Old West Molds for my 38-55 and so far all good.A 3 cavity and three different weights too.The large one 285gn is a gas check.Need to buy some gas checks soon.
    Lionel

We are high on a hill, no damage but got cut off from the 'outside world' for 10 days, no fuel, mail, fresh bread, milk etc.

Custom moulds are surely the way to consistant accuracy. I have 3 Paul Jones boolit moulds and all shoot wonderfully. First serious match with Hiwall was a 200yd offhand gong shoot; scored a 39/40 and second place was only 19/40.

Boolit Master

Question on trigger

******, Overall, how is the trigger on the gun? Does it have travel? Estimated weight of break? It's hard to get info on this gun as it seems hardly anyone has one over here. I had a Pedersoli Sharps and it was very well made. I'm wondering if the High Wall is made to the same level of quality, fit, and finish. Thanks.
    PS-some nice guns in that rack.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Well, I was all set to buy a Winchester 1885 and then today I saw the Pedersoli High Wall for sale at Cabelas. Anyone know anything about these guns? I'm familiar with Pedersoli Sharps and I'm very favorably impressed with them but know nothing about the Pedersoli High Wall. Has anyone handled one? Shot one? I'd appreciate some feedback. I'm ready to buy but want to make sure I get the better choice of the two. Right now Cabelas has the Pedersoli High Wall at a very good price, about the same as the Winchester. Thanks
    What is the sale price? I went to their sight and it said call for special pricing. I have $500 credit on my CC with them. For the listed price I could have a C-Sharps.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    ******, Overall, how is the trigger on the gun? Does it have travel? Estimated weight of break? It's hard to get info on this gun as it seems hardly anyone has one over here. I had a Pedersoli Sharps and it was very well made. I'm wondering if the High Wall is made to the same level of quality, fit, and finish. Thanks.
    PS-some nice guns in that rack.
    As I said, the single set trigger is good once you master it. With a bit of tuning mine breaks around 6oz with no creep. The hammer does not self cock as does an original Winchester (I have a couple of them also). The barrel from the factory is mirror finished and highly polished. Overall fit & finish would rate 9 1/2 out of 10 for a massed produced rifle. I had the opportunity to try the Sporter version at the dealers but I chose the Classic for the higher comb to support the cheek for long range work.

The Sharps in the background are the remainder of my Pedersolis, 45/90, 45/70, 50/70, 50/90 and 40/65 with 6X Malcolm

Boolit Master

BAW:
    Very nice rifle, and very nice target.

BAW, I note that you have a Pedersoli U-431 Creedmore rear sight on your High Wall. I have the same sight on one of my rifles and think very highly of it. In fact, I have four Pedersoli Creedmore sights of three types and think all are very well made. I have no doubt that the Pedrsoli High Wall will be a quality rifle, just like my '74 Sharps by Pedersoli.

I've had excellent results with the RCBS 312 grain spitzer boolit that drops from my mold at 318 grains. Sized .377", it's very accurate in my Winchester High Wall, the only 38-55 I own at the moment. Two days ago I used my 38-55 to shoot 8 cartridges at a steel ram at 350 yards. It was my first try at that distance as our new range had only recently opened. I was on it in 3 shots and then popped it 5 straight in spite of a playful wind.

The Pedersoli High Wall being considered by NSB is in 45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
    BAW, I note that you have a Pedersoli U-431
    The Pedersoli High Wall being considered by NSB is in 45-70.
    Some years ago, fullbore competitions were dominated by the 7.62x51 Nato (308Win) and the 5.56 round first came onto the ranges with a fast twist 1:9" As has come to pass, the smaller round has won matches as far out as any 308 previously shot.

These new 'fast twist' BPCR guns have the potential do the same. There is no doubt a 370gn boolit will knock over the rams, most shooters shoot more accurately with less recoil. I chose the 38/55 as my retirement gun, for that time not too far away when the 50/90 is too hard on an aged body frame

In Remembrance
    BAW,
    You probably know that Dan Theodore worked with Dick Trenk and Pedersoli in designing the chamber for your 38-55.
    Have you ever looked at the bullet Dan designed for that chamber/barrel?

It's in the attachment...

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 10-09-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    What is the sale price? I went to their sight and it said call for special pricing. I have $500 credit on my CC with them. For the listed price I could have a C-Sharps.

Bob
    Bob they had the 45-70 down to about 1200 for a little while, but I think they're back up now.
    Quick check and they still have the 45-79 at 1299.99999999
    Last edited by Don McDowell; 02-19-2011 at 12:59 AM.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Thanks Montana,
    I'm familiar with the Dan T boolit but I also saw many mixed results with it across various forums. Last post on BPCR.net, Dan said himself the he would further modify the final dimensions of his design.

I spoke with Paul Jones himself who convinced me that his creedmoor boolit modified to suit the Pedersoli chamber dimensions as I previously outlined, would be fine, and it is perfect.

The PJ boolit has 5 deep grooves compared the Dan T sesign of 6 shallow ones and carries a lot of lube.

I have PJ moulds 545gn for my 45/90 and 650gn for the 50/90; both throw boolits that are perfectly round and to the dimensions specified.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Bad Ass,
    Who did you get the Highwall through?
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast