Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 92FS safety question

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte

92FS safety question

I realize that this thread in no way concerns the use of boolits, but do hope I will be forgiven.

I recently picked up a Beretta 92FS in used condition and, of course, with no manual. I have noticed that when the decocker is put into the 'fire' position a slight trigger squeeze will bring the hammer back to a 'set' position removing the firing pin from contact with a primer.

My question is, is this a safe way to carry this pistol or should the decocker be engaged at all times unless ready to fire?
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Master

If I understand you correctly, the hammer is not fully cocked nor fully down. I've never seen anyone recommend this as a carry method. I was taught that the lever was a decocker, not a safety. Everybody I knew who carried a DA/SA (either 92F or 5900 series S&W) carried them hammer down, lever up, ready to go. YMMV
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    Most of the used Police trade in's that are on the market in a 96 / .40 cal. are in nice shape. They sell the parts missing ones as gun smith specials...doesn't sound good to me. I would have a gun smith check that out..
    CLAYPOOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lead melter View Post
    ...I have noticed that when the decocker is put into the 'fire' position a slight trigger squeeze will bring the hammer back to a 'set' position...
    This is what is referred to as "half-cock." It is one of the safety measures on the gun, not a carry mode. It's purpose is to catch the hammer should it fall off the sear at full set, or in the event that the sear fails to set when firing single action.
    Last edited by S.R.Custom; 02-17-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    If I understand you correctly, the hammer is not fully cocked nor fully down. I've never seen anyone recommend this as a carry method. I was taught that the lever was a decocker, not a safety. Everybody I knew who carried a DA/SA (either 92F or 5900 series S&W) carried them hammer down, lever up, ready to go. YMMV
    This is true! And this is why Berreta came out with the 92-G. No saftey just a decocker for LE work.

2shot

Boolit Grand Master

You seem to be under the misconception that with the hammer all the
    way forward the firing pin is against the primer. THIS IS NOT CORRECT.

The firing pin is a bunch shorter than the tunnel it rides in. It has to be hit and
    FLY forward to hit the primer, cannot touch it statically. Using the half cock is
    not a good plan. All the way down is ULTRA safe, even with safety off .

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

Mtgun44 has it right.

I have a 92fs and that's how it works.

just for grins once I put in a round (primer only) put the safety off, hammer down and then proceede to beat the snot out of the hammer with a soft piece of wood in an attempt to make it fire. Didn't happen, won't happen.

I would not carry with the lever set to decock. You'll be able to pull the trigger, but the gun won't fire. I would either carry with the safety off (just like it's a da revolver) or safety on, so you wouldn't be misled by the ability to pull the trigger.

Boolit Master

The Beretta 92FS has two modes of carry. Hammer down on a live round safety on or hammer down on a live round safe off. How you carry is dependent on how you train. I've carried my M9 on safe since 85' and train swiping the safety off as I clear leather (same matter when I carry cocked and locked with either a M1911,Coonan or CZ75). Your gun is working normally.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Grand Master

CD,

I train M9/B92students to do a second swipe at the safety with weak hand thumb as the
    two hand grip is formed to ensure that the darned thing is OFF. It is especially easy to
    accidentally reapply the safety when reloading from slide lock by pulling back on
    the slide rather than thumbing down the slide release with weak hand thumb. Or you
    can just have missed it with the strong thumb as you made the draw.

M9 is what they issue, so training must deal with reality. I'm sure that a reload in
    a firefight with the pistol will be very rare, but if it happens you probably need that
    next round NOW not 5 sec later as you figure out you accidentally reapplied the
    safety.

Double safety stroke.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Here's a link to a PDF of the manual. You should definitely have one.

92FS Manual: http://www.berettaweb.com/Munuals/Beretta_SERIE92.pdf
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin