RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bp sixgun power

I've got a set of Old Model 3 screw Rugers (357's) that I had converted to 44 Special and then a year or so ago had a set of cylinders made in 44-40 for them. With 33-4 grs of KIK 2f in the 44-40's, they are a major handfull. The Specials hold about 23 grs and are a lot more pleasant to shoot. I've had to open up the cylinder/frame gap to .008" in order to cut down on the binding, but still have to squirt with a Ballistol mixture every so many loads. The Specials don't get bound up nearly as much and I often shoot a whole cowboy match without any need for lubing. But I'm also using a Mav Duchman 200 gr BP bullet with the big lube grooves in the Special, but can't use that bullet with the 44-40's, so that may make a difference. All those old original BP loads were pretty stout and definitely fun to shoot.
    McLintock

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, McL, the amount of lube makes all the difference: modern bullets have skimpy grooves. As a check, try the BlackDawge 205 grn (actually weigh 215) that come with SPG. Poor quality castings, but massive lube. The other fouling-prevention secrets are primers and powder quality. Swiss FFFG is the cleanest in the world, and magnum primers significantly reduce fouling. With 35 grns Swiss 3FG in Winch cases slightly compressed, CCI Mag primers, and the BD bullet, I regularly run through 50 rounds without the slightest hint of tightening up in my EMF SAA clone, and it cleans like a dream.

The SteamShark is a great idea: I'll try one as soon as I can get to Target.

BP is the best fun in shooting, sure makes it more interesting. And if you have a chance to blast at some spaced boards to compare penetration & impact with something like a 45ACP hardball, you'll be amazed. The cowboys were shooting magnums in 1873!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    I've got a set of Old Model 3 screw Rugers (357's) that I had converted to 44 Special and then a year or so ago had a set of cylinders made in 44-40 for them. With 33-4 grs of KIK 2f in the 44-40's, they are a major handfull. The Specials hold about 23 grs and are a lot more pleasant to shoot. I've had to open up the cylinder/frame gap to .008" in order to cut down on the binding, but still have to squirt with a Ballistol mixture every so many loads. The Specials don't get bound up nearly as much and I often shoot a whole cowboy match without any need for lubing. But I'm also using a Mav Duchman 200 gr BP bullet with the big lube grooves in the Special, but can't use that bullet with the 44-40's, so that may make a difference. All those old original BP loads were pretty stout and definitely fun to shoot.
    McLintock
    Why can't you use the Dutchman in your 44-40? I load 38gr Goex FFFG compressed behind that boolit with no problem. In fact, I just got done loading a hundred of them. It is a stout load but is directly comparable to the original loading.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I think it's due to the ogave of the bullets, the MAV bullet has a less rounded ogave and just doesn't fit in the cylinders. I've got .429" throats in the 44-40's and .430" in the Specials and that may make the difference, but I think it's the less rounded ogave; I'd definitely be shooting the MAV bullet if I could get it to chamber. I also can only use Winchester brass with the 44-40's, as it has thinner neck walls than Remington or Starline.
    McLintock

Boolit Master

McClintock: I sell LOTS of Mav's to guys who use them in their 44-40's, and I am one also. More than likely the crimp is a bit excessive causing a bulge, or the shoulder isn't set back far enough. Or maybe you should just use a smaller bullet, they can be had as small as .427. Don't see how the ogive could make any difference, if the base is .429 so is the rest of the bullet, or smaller. The throats aren't tapered.

Thinking about it some more, I think that the MAV bullet is straighter above the crimp groove, before the ogave starts, and since my sizing die is a .430, the bullet is .430 far enough beyond the crimp groove to interfere with the .429 throats. I'd probably have to enlarge the throats to .430 to make it work, or seat it deeper, which I don't want to do. I don't think I'm bulging the cases as my crimp groove isn't very deep, so I'm not using much crimp at all. My mould throws bullets at .433" and sizing them down to .430 doesn't leave a lot of crimp groove. I'm also not using the 44-40's in a rifle, so the 427666's have enough lube for the 4 5/8's barrels, so I haven't worried about it too much.
    McLintock

Boolit Master

I suppose if the bullet is larger than the throat then you might have a problem. Too bad your mould throws large, with .429 bullets you would probably be OK. Make sure you don't have ANY air gap when the mould is closed. With LEE moulds it is real easy to get a piece of lead on the faces and it holds the mould open and you get large bullets. And you are right, you generally don't need Big Lubes for pistols.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12