RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bullet Association Forum

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Bret...I fail to see how not liking the term "boolit" is showing disrespect for this site. That is giving way to much importance to a very insignificant thing. We all have words and terms, that please us and others that don't please us. It should not be a dividing line between people with common interests and goals.

Ed Harris is a current and frequent poster here, although many don't recognize who he is. If he was severely torqued up about the term, he would not be here.

I am very glad Ed is here and I am very glad you have returned after a hiatus. You both have lots to offer to the new casters coming online.

"Why can't we just all get along"...Rodney King -
    It was far more than just " not liking" the term Charles. If he's got over it, I haven't heard anything about it, much less seen any attempts to correct the wrong.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Pat I. View Post
    LOL!! So I'm not the only one.

Bret let me start off by saying it's good to see you posting again. As for anyone dissing this forum.....so what and it's not like you can claim it's a one way street. Sure there's some things I'd like to see happening on the CBA forum, participation being #1, but it's a good group of guys with a $#!& house full of knowledge and experience more than willing to share all their deep dark secrets if someone asks the questions. I don't know how many times I've heard the old "CBA are a bunch of elitist" nonsense both here and on the old Accurate Reloading site but I didn't let it bother me because it was being said by someone with absolutely no knowledge of what they were talking about apparently to stroke some inferiority complex they were stuck carrying around. That was their problem and I didn't make it mine. There's no competition going on and if there was this place would win hands down in the numbers game. The fact of the matter is there's room enough for both forums and if someone feels they'd be letting the home team down by visiting the other guy it's not like it's mandatory. As for myself? I moderate over there and really like the site. I like this one too so I'll visit both.

I've never had a beef with you or most of the guys there Pat. And other than the Harris thing and that forum pretty much being a duplicate in design of this one, I don't recall ever bad mouthing it. The feeding frenzy that the Harris incident provoked was disgusting though. Really bothered me since I'd been following the CBA forums since the days of "Herr Colonel". I thought we were all part of the the "brotherhood" until our intelligence was disputed in that thread.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps to avoid a misunderstanding, the email list was owned by an individual that took a lot of effort to keep the threads on topic, and trim the excess so the content was more compact. That list owner provided the list and encouraged the members to participate in the CBA just as this list does. It could be considered the unofficial CBA list at that time, before the CBA website was created.

So, please, give Chas credit for allowing the free access to the internet via Cast Bullets Yahoo groups, and keeping the archives available for easy search and access to a lot of good information. I have no doubt that most on that list have had to be reminded to trim the headers, stay on topic, and sign our names and states to our posts. So what? It is an incredible resource for information, and those members who I continue to correspond with off list are just incredible. I appreciate the content, and hope that people posting will try to avoid slang in order for foreign members to understand what is being said.

I subscribe to several lists or forums and enjoy all of them, but some of the members are a little rough on others. That just seems to be the way life is, so I guess I have to accept it.

It is a beautiful morning here, and this is going to be a four day weekend. I am going to do a lot of casting and not sit here clicking keys. Have a good weekend. Dusty

Banned

Bret personally I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The same thing you're complaining about happens here and probably everywhere else on the internet every single day of the week. The "Herr Colonel" comment you made is a perfect example. I've been seeing the CBA ripped apart since the day I started looking at cast bullet forums and couldn't care less. I have a family so don't consider a bunch of strangers on the internet my family, I have a home so don't consider some website on the internet my home, and I have real friends that will stay real friends with or without some website. Mess with my family, home, or friends and we'll have a problem but as far as this or any other forum I could care less. It's all just make believe.

In Remebrance

To each their own Pat. No hard feelings.

Pat, you are of course correct. Too many folks get very heavily invested in things that don't matter. I have seen families split, friendships lost and all sorts of damage done over trivial and inconsequential things. Sports is one of the things that comes to mind and interweb is another, but I am certain the list could get quite long.

Many years ago, when I was a kid lawyer, I had a client that killed his brother with a kitchen knife in an argument over who was going to clean a very large fish they had caught while fishing.

I had another client who killed his neighbor over where the neighbor placed his new outhouse.

I have my intelligence questioned frequently by my wife and others. Well, just this morning she.......................................
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I have used the "ignore" button on occasion too. My problem is the "ignored" individual will post something and all I see is the reminder that he is on my list. My curiosity gets the better of me and I want to see what may have been posted that will tic me off again, so I remove the "ignore".
    OK, now THAT is funny!

My understanding of the genesis of the term "boolit" had to do with a dodge perpetrated by some members when Cast Boolits was hosted elsewhere, and prospective members were blocked at work by site software that stopped terms like "bullet", "firearm", or other non-PC items. If so, silliness isn't the explanation--it's utility. I use the term here because it is lingua franca, but not elsewhere unless I'm referring to the site itself by name.

I have no gas with CBA. I belonged for a time, but no longer do so. That is more a function of time management than any other reason--I spend a lot less time here than in the past also, preferring to be at the bench loading--at the range shooting--or in the field hunting--to running my yap online. As for Cast Boolits having a signal-to-noise ratio that's upside-down, I'm likely as guilty of that as anyone else--so I'll plead nolo contendere (that's how Republicans plead "guilty"--"I didn't do it, and I won't do it again") and go on about my business.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Thumbs up

The CBA Forum is back and working well!

Boolit Master
    I look at this site daily, though I don't have the time to read everything I would like to read. There's much good information available. I am unaware of exactly what it was that Ed Harris did to offend others; it may be a valid accusation, or an unwarranted indictment by some who never pass up an opportunity to be offended. I don't know the man personally, but for many years he has written excellent and informative articles for the Cast Bullet Association magazine. Earlier, his work appeared in the pages of the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN (when it was a far better publication that what is has become). In fact, if I see an article he's authored, I know it's worth reading.

I'm another who has never understood the misspelling of "bullet", but it's okay.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am another hobbyist that GREATLY appreciates the contributions that Ed Harris has made in print to this field. I will echo Lo Tech's observation that when I see Mr. Harris' byline, it tells me ahead of time that the piece is a worthwhile read.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Like Pat, I actually hang out on both forums. What was said about upgrading the site being positive is in my opinion, one of the few things the CBA is actually working on to improve the entire organization. As a fairly fresh member to the CBA I cannot speak to how it looked years ago, especially before an online presence.

I can say that as far as I am can tell, the Boolit bunch and the CBA bunch probably overlap more than anyone has guessed. One of the more recent things that is closer to happening in the CBA is the idea of opening up the postal matches to non members to join in the fray of friendly paper punching competition.There have also been a few changes to the regional leadership that should bring more opportunities for everyone to shoot shoulder to shoulder matches, and to hang out in person with other shooters rather than online.

I know there is room for both groups, but I actually consider all bullet/boolit casters and shooter to be people of the same cool hobby. Some are just a lot more familiar with the social media internet thing. I consider myself to be a hybrid of sorts. I love the forums and computer interaction, but I still love getting the print version of the Fouling Shot and always flip to the matches first to see how my scores at local or regional matches stack up against shooters around the country, then to the articles towards the front.

It still represents a good bunch of people overall, just like this forum.
    CBA Postal Match Director

Boolit Grand Master

"I had another client who killed his neighbor over where the neighbor placed his new outhouse."

Having lived in a house with one for a couple of years this is no small thing
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

The only big problem I see with the CBA sight is when you sign up they not only ask for your name but your street address which makes me a little uncomfortable. I'm not suggesting anything nefarious here just that I don't like to sign up for forums and give all of my personal info and I'm not sure why anyone would need that. If you are involved in any type of fraud or threats your IP Address will nail you down easily enough

In Remebrance

I wasn't lying and never had anything but the utmost respect for Harris prior to that. It was over the top and uncalled for and it lowered my estimation of who he was.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    OK, now THAT is funny!

My understanding of the genesis of the term "boolit" had to do with a dodge perpetrated by some members when Cast Boolits was hosted elsewhere, and prospective members were blocked at work by site software that stopped terms like "bullet", "firearm", or other non-PC items. If so, silliness isn't the explanation--it's utility. I use the term here because it is lingua franca, but not elsewhere unless I'm referring to the site itself by name.

I have no gas with CBA. I belonged for a time, but no longer do so. That is more a function of time management than any other reason--I spend a lot less time here than in the past also, preferring to be at the bench loading--at the range shooting--or in the field hunting--to running my yap online. As for Cast Boolits having a signal-to-noise ratio that's upside-down, I'm likely as guilty of that as anyone else--so I'll plead nolo contendere (that's how Republicans plead "guilty"--"I didn't do it, and I won't do it again") and go on about my business.

Well stated, and I hadn't considered this possible reason for the name, which honestly still feels kind of awkward to use. I belonged to CBA on two different occasions and respect the groups impact on cast bullets and it's relevant place in shooting sports and competition. The Fouling Shot with Frank Marshall's articles, The Sixgunner with Paco Kelly's article on getting started in casting, and whatever I could find in Handloader were the only resources I had when I began casting in the early 80's. CBA has always kind of seemed on another level and kind of high-brow to my interests and use of cast bullets or "boolits" if you prefer.

9.3X62AL and several others here have provided me with information based on years of experience and knowledge that is practical and of use to me, and I learn something valuable everyday I spend on this forum. I wish I'd known about this group sooner, and stumbled on it while researching casting and molds for my 45-70's.

I hope 9.3X63AL and the other experienced members here continue to take time away from shooting and other time requirements to help educate the less experienced members like myself. Resources on this subject are few and far between and information shared by the knowledgeable in invaluable to us.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I like the CBA website. The activity is slow but it dosen't have all the social media type posts. Both are good just different.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    The only big problem I see with the CBA sight is when you sign up they not only ask for your name but your street address which makes me a little uncomfortable. I'm not suggesting anything nefarious here just that I don't like to sign up for forums and give all of my personal info and I'm not sure why anyone would need that. If you are involved in any type of fraud or threats your IP Address will nail you down easily enough
    Is that required to register? I know I didn't put any of that information down when I registered and know a lot other people haven't either.

Boolit Grand Master

I went to their sight this morning and went through the registration page as I am not a member and it asked for my full name, street address, email etc...
    I did not register. I've run a couple of forums myself and you do not need any of that to find or block someone. Again, I'm not suggesting that they are doing or going to do anything with the information but if hackers can crack open Adobe Systems they can surely take on web forums to get personal information easily enough if they want to.

Banned

Maybe you do have to fill out all the fields. I don't know and never did. If I wasn't a member already and wanted to join the forum I'd just make something up

Boolit Bub
    I just went on the site and did not have any trouble.