Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: YOUR favorite 44 Mag loadings??

Boolit Buddy
    429421 10 grs. Unique. Standard Deviation 4, it really is consistent, quite accurate and goes 1147 fps. out of a 5.5" bbl. While working up warmer loads for the .44 special, Keith stated he wanted 1200 fps with a 250 gr. bullet.

265 gr. ranch dog LLA 19.8 grs. 4227. very accurate in my 29-10.

Boolit Master
    I have a lot of different moulds and sometimes things get interesting since my current favorites are VAQUEROS and BISLEY VAQUEROS with fixed sights. Most are 5.5 inch, but I have a pair of 7.5 inch guns too...my cable service has PALADIN re-runs at 5:30. AND I try to get the cartridge over all length adjusted so they'll feed in my MARLIN Cowboy rifles.

Today was Blammer's group buy clone of LYMAN 429352 (full wadcutter) over 6.0 of TITEGROUP. (Forget that one for the rifles!) Over the week end were the NOE clone of RANCH DOG's 432 265 round nose flat point and clones of 429421 from MIHEC and MMA10MM's group buy from LEE. Powder charges were 6.0 to 8.0 of TITEGROUP and HP38.

For plinking and target, I use the Cowboy Action Shooting data as a starting point. You need to compare data from multiple sources...and check the date on it. My old LYMAN books show considerably hotter loads than present editions. Data varies on "old 2400 and UNIQUE" and current powders.

If you like them hot, I'm not much help. I had carpal tunnel surgery over 10 years ago and I'm starting to show symptoms of it again. A lot of the guys who really talked up the 454, 475 and 500 LINEBAUGH (and their copies/clones) are paying for their fun now...a 44 Special or 45 Colt looks better to aching wrists.

"Im trying to get a feel for what the AVERAGE guy shoots 90% of the time thru his pistol...not the MAXIMUM load he can fire. I can find that sort of data in any loading manual and probably 20 places online."

I burn up about 2:1 ratio of unique to Lil Gun loads, as I like to shoot enough full house loads to be confident if I ever had to use it for defense. Plus I like it when the ol 44 barks a bit. It always puts a smile on my face!!!
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy

I dont know if it's my favorite, but for fun, because it looks cool too, (at least folks tell me so) and I think so too
    180 gr. jackets packed to the hilt with Win. 296, fired at night. Tons of unburned powder fire coming out of the barrel and the cylinder.
    As I get older though, I am starting to like the tamed down loads, ones with 200 gr. lead and unique or light, blue dot loads.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    I like my Lee 300RFGC in front of 22 of WW296. Not for the faint of heart, it will git-r-dun when it comes whompin' time.

Boolit Grand Master
    17.5 grains of 2400 under a 44-250 is my favorite these days. It is so darned accurate and doesn't beat me up too much. I am feeling my years more these days. 25 years ago I used 22 grains of 2400 but that is a little more manly than I care for now. Here in Huntungton Beach, there are darned few buffalo any more. I reckon the grizzlies must've ate 'em all before they left.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerMTB View Post
    I like my Lee 300RFGC in front of 22 of WW296. Not for the faint of heart, it will git-r-dun when it comes whompin' time.
    While I can agree with this comment, and certainly have been down this road myself, you will find that practice, a cool head, and a steady hand delivering a well constructed bullet to a vital spot are the things most needed at whompin time. I read an article by an Alaskan fishing guide that made a strong case for a .357 loaded with stoutly constructed 180 grain bullets as a bear gun. He carried one for years, and his daughter carries one now. He also claims to have stopped ( or shot perhaps more likely) one Brown bear with that combo. Straight penetration to a nerve center when under great pressure is vital for "stopping".

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    While I can agree with this comment, and certainly have been down this road myself, you will find that practice, a cool head, and a steady hand delivering a well constructed bullet to a vital spot are the things most needed at whompin time. I read an article by an Alaskan fishing guide that made a strong case for a .357 loaded with stoutly constructed 180 grain bullets as a bear gun. He carried one for years, and his daughter carries one now. He also claims to have stopped ( or shot perhaps more likely) one Brown bear with that combo. Straight penetration to a nerve center when under great pressure is vital for "stopping".
    I "will find..."?
    I'm sure your advice is well-intentioned, but
    You may want to consider that you seem to have drawn far too much conclusion from far too little evidence.
    And as far as what size caliber is adequate for what size game, there will be an article espousing the benefits of almost anything for almost anything. It don't make it right, just one person's opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

I am partial to 20 gr. of 2400 under any hardcast plain base 240-260 gr Kieth style blt.
    Also shoot a fair amount of Blue dot.
    1Shirt.
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    I am partial to 20 gr. of 2400 under any hardcast plain base 240-260 gr Kieth style blt.
    Also shoot a fair amount of Blue dot.
    1Shirt.
    That mirrors what I pack when the black bears are out.

20.0 gr. of 2400 pushing the RCBS 250K .... they average about 255 gr. and I lite them off with standard primers.

If I want to run things up a bit I push 20.5 or .6 gr. and leave the rest the same.

I USED to run 21.0 gr. of 2400 but my Mountain gun was taking a beating as I was.

For a MV of 1300 fps I was beating up both ends. At 20.0 gr. I get 1262 fps.

Does a bear really know the difference at close range between 1262 and 1300?

Sans bears ........... it's the HS-6 load I mentioned in the earlier post.

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy
    1 shirt & thre44's: Loads as you describe is most probably what I'll lean towards for "heavies" and I'll always have some of these Hornady XTP's close at hand....but I find the 200gr Hornady at 1500 fps and the 240 at 1350 a tad too much for constant shooting at tree stumps....along with the ungodly cost ( Geeze!!)

and about 9-9.5 grs of Unique with a 200-215 or even a 240 LSWC for milk jug shooting contests....")....should do me pretty decent. Thanks!

RCBS 245K with Unique and AA9.

I have not worked with the 200 or 300s yet that I have and sometimes I wonder why I ever got them From casting to shooting I really like that 245K.

sb
    sb

Boolit Master

240gr xtp 24gr H110 i dont have a cast load yet
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shootingbuff View Post
    RCBS 245K with Unique and AA9.

I have not worked with the 200 or 300s yet that I have and sometimes I wonder why I ever got them From casting to shooting I really like that 245K.

sb
    240-250 is a good all around size IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    240-250 is a good all around size IMHO...
    I'll do most anything a normal person would need a handgun to do.
    sb

Boolit Master
    If I were a monk, I would sit cross legged and chant.. HHHOOOOOOMMMMMMM........ Stay with unique. It doesnt hurt. It will kill a black bear or deer. HHHOOOOOMMMMMMM...... Nothing knows the darn difference but you. HHHOOOOOOMMMMMMMM..... Repeat.

Finding serenity with a load (pun intended) means more to you than anything else. A hit at 1100 fps is better than a high velocty miss at 1400 fps. I have quit after 15 years of shooting magnums for no damn reason due to carpel tunnel. I can DRILL cans at 100 yards with a 260K boolit at 1000 fps. No deer or black bear can stand that in the heart or lungs. I have neve had one complain that they were not shot with a 1400 fps load.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    If I were a monk, I would sit cross legged and chant.. HHHOOOOOOMMMMMMM........ Stay with unique. It doesnt hurt. It will kill a black bear or deer. HHHOOOOOMMMMMMM...... Nothing knows the darn difference but you. HHHOOOOOOMMMMMMMM..... Repeat.

Finding serenity with a load (pun intended) means more to you than anything else. A hit at 1100 fps is better than a high velocty miss at 1400 fps. I have quit after 15 years of shooting magnums for no damn reason due to carpel tunnel. I can DRILL cans at 100 yards with a 260K boolit at 1000 fps. No deer or black bear can stand that in the heart or lungs. I have neve had one complain that they were not shot with a 1400 fps load.
    I know about the carpel deal...geeze. Was getting it in my left wrist...last fall on a fly fishing trip to the Tetons..I fell in the rocks...broke the wrist. It healed but the doc says it will never be like brand new...and I couldnt jack the slide back on my 1911's..or my brand new S&W MP9c that had had 12 shots run thru it. It was so bad I had to have a buddy come and jack the slide back to unload the M&P...hench mint shape Kimbers went to the gun store and I walked out with a 686 and a 629...then later picked up my M617 22 rimfire...but thank god its in my LEFT wrist and Im right handed!!!

Ive decided that W21=31 and Unique will be my main powders for "pop can shooting" and I'll hold back the 2400 for the "bear killers" that will be "about" a 240 LSWC at "about"1300-1400 fps.......and I'll keep a "6-pack" of those jacketed 240 gr HP Hornadys at 1350 back just for good luck!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    240gr xtp 24gr H110 i dont have a cast load yet
    thats a strong load

I'll use that same powder charge behind my lee 240 gr. TL cast with hard babbit lead. no leading either.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerMTB View Post
    I "will find..."?
    I'm sure your advice is well-intentioned, but
    You may want to consider that you seem to have drawn far too much conclusion from far too little evidence.
    And as far as what size caliber is adequate for what size game, there will be an article espousing the benefits of almost anything for almost anything. It don't make it right, just one person's opinion.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to direct that comment at "YOU", and I should have said that most will find. I guess I was thinking about the stories I've read about handguns used to attempt to stop bears where the shooter was still killed V.S. the story of the woman that stopped a big brown feet from her with one practiced shot to the brain....... maybe luck, but she had a lot of practice, and training too. Use what works for you in any case.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123