Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: .357 mag 180gr @1900fps??

Boolit Buddy

.357 mag 180gr @1900fps??

Here is some testing of Buffalo Bore .357 mag 180gr loads, in various guns. http://www.gunblast.com/MilesFortis-...uffaloBore.htm
    Using a NEF single shot, the 180gr load was over 1900fps, and averaged 1884fps.

Buffalo Bore claims this load is safe for ALL guns, allbeit, a tad uncomfortable in lighter revolvers. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=100

What PSI or CUP rating are they loading to? The ratings of yesteryear??
    What powder and primer combo is going to achieve this velocity?
    Seems to be a pretty fast load for a pill that heavy.

Banned

they are shooting them in 18" barrels to get the 1900fps

I shoot a 24" brl 360dan wesson and 180gr boolits at 2000 fps or so

the longer barrel is the trick

yep they will be punishing in a revolver but safe

In Remembrance

Spokerider

Read this.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...literature.htm

Now you will know most of what I have experienced with the .357 magnum.

Life is good

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by looseprojectile View Post
    Read this.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...literature.htm

Now you will know most of what I have experienced with the .357 magnum.

Life is good

Is this your writing?
    Very informative regarding pressures vs powder burning rates and velocities vs barrel length.

With these parameters in mind....... when choosing a powder for a maxium SAFE load for the 180gr cast bullet load, it appears a slower burning powder provides the required veloctiy at a lower pressure than does a fast burning powder.

Since escessive and unsafe chamber pressure is what we wish to avoid, which powder is the optimum powder for the 180 gr boolit in a single shot 22inch barrel carbine? H110? Faster? Slower? For instance, if 2000fps were achieveable with say, 5 different powders, which would meet the target velocity with the least pressure?

Of course, accuracy is a whole different topic.

In Remembrance

Not mine.

I started loading the .357 in 1957 after buying my first Ruger flattop. $87.50 .
    I went on to shoot several dozens of thousands of really impressive loads with that gun. I succeeded in wearing one of those guns out completely. Another about half way. And there were the 92 Winchesters converted to .357.
    This was before any of the gun writers shot anything other than the miserable factory pure lead swaged bullets that leaded a bore with two shots. There were no jacketed bullets for reloading handguns made at that time.
    In those days I found that anything that could be used to harden and strengthen my alloy was a step foreward. Made my own lube too. Had a Hensley & Gibbs four cavity SWC mould and wheel weights were free, all I could want. I used H240 powder [surplus 2400] was 50 cents a pound.
    It was a good time as components were cheap and there were no politics at all involved in buying guns or ammo. I usually shot two to five hundred rounds a day in that old single action.
    I could write a book about my experiences with those guns and the .357 magnum.
    Lil Gun seems to work best for me at this time.

Life is good
    Last edited by looseprojectile; 01-07-2011 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Didn't answer the question.

Boolit Grand Master

Lil' Gun has also produced best velocities for me. A posting with some 180 grain data and results:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40202

Marshall Stanton has published an H110 load significantly higher than Hodgdon's maximums that will get to 1,900 fps in an 18.5 inch Marlin 1894C.

Lil Gun not only pushes the boolits faster but according to the loading manuals is doing it with much less pressure. A friend was working up loads with L.G. and 180gr cast and he claimed that he ran out of room before pressures were too high. I did not think I needed any more powders on the shelf but I do like to load my .357 Black Hawk to original .357 MAGNUM performance level.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Jay
    In testing LiLGun and trying to reach vel. that I got with H-108 and IMR 4227 with 180 & 200 grn. cast I also ran out of room. Guns were a 10" TC and a 9" FA. Vel. was in the 1400-1500 fps. range. Never could reach it with LiLGun.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone know what the psi or CUP would be with Marshal Stanton`s 185gr 16.0gr H110 load would be? In other threads I have read, Marshal has stated approx 1800fps with this load in a carbine.

I am loading 14.9 gr H110 under a 180gr Cast Core GC boolit, with good accuracy. I will soon be reaming the chamber on my carbine to .357 max and hope to achieve 2000fps with the same bullet, without reaching the 40000 psi rating of the .357 maximum.

Also, wondering if the veloctiy and pressures will be similar with the exact same load of 14.9gr H110 in the .357 Max case as it is in the .357 mag case? I understand that H110 performs best under pressure.......not sure if the max case will provide that necessary pressure at the approx 15.0gr H110 load?

As stated earlier, I`m looking to achieve 2000fps, 180gr Cast Performance boolit, with the powder that provides lowest pressure possible in a carbine with 22`barrel, chambered in .357 Maximum.

Boolit Grand Master
    Spokerider, in your Max rifle, you probably can get 2300fps with a 180gra boolit. I get that with a 200gr in my Max, but its a Ruger #1

You are on the right track with H-110, and Lil' Gun. Looks like ( using Quick Load) you should reach your goal with around 19 grains of either. Funny, H-110 seems a little milder at those levels. Of course you would have to work up to those levels watching for pressure signs in your gun. Your 14.9 grain load will not produce the same pressure, or velocity in the larger Maximum case, and you have to be careful with the powders you are working with since neither is suited for loads that are reduced. Please get a loading manual that covers those powders in the .357 Max! Actually, if I was looking for those velocities with a 180, I would just rechamber to the .35 Remington.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    You are on the right track with H-110, and Lil' Gun. Looks like ( using Quick Load) you should reach your goal with around 19 grains of either. Funny, H-110 seems a little milder at those levels. Of course you would have to work up to those levels watching for pressure signs in your gun. Your 14.9 grain load will not produce the same pressure, or velocity in the larger Maximum case, and you have to be careful with the powders you are working with since neither is suited for loads that are reduced. Please get a loading manual that covers those powders in the .357 Max! Actually, if I was looking for those velocities with a 180, I would just rechamber to the .35 Remington.
    Thanks for the info.
    So.....according to your Quick Load program, it says that the target 2000fps will be obtained at the lowest pressure with H110 in the .357 max case? Does it give a pressure rating by chance?

I have a Lyman 49th edition reloading manual that indicates 15.0 gr starting and 18.0 gr max for the H110 for .357 Rem Maximum 180gr loading. Accordingly, I will consider the 15.0gr load to be the starting point.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Spokerider, in your Max rifle, you probably can get 2300fps with a 180gra boolit. I get that with a 200gr in my Max, but its a Ruger #1
    Yup, I prolly could obtain more velocity, but for the time being, a conservative 2000 fps will do.......

Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    So.....according to your Quick Load program, it says that the target 2000fps will be obtained at the lowest pressure with H110 in the .357 max case? Does it give a pressure rating by chance?

I have a Lyman 49th edition reloading manual that indicates 15.0 gr starting and 18.0 gr max for the H110 for .357 Rem Maximum 180gr loading. Accordingly, I will consider the 15.0gr load to be the starting point.
    Quick load gives 26,000 PSI for the 18 grain load, and 36,000 PSI for 20 grains of H-110 behind the RCBS 180 Silouette bullet. Lyman may be using a different bullet, or have a gun with different dimensions.......... just reminds us to use caution, and good judgment.

Boolit Buddy
    NHlever, thanks for the pressures.
    Yes, caution is always first on my mind.
    Although I will be reaming the Uberti Baby RB out to .357 Rem Max, it is STILL a .357 mag rifle.

Uberti did offer the exact same rifle in 5.6 x 50R mag, which has a higher pressure rating than even the .357 Rem Max, so in theory, the carbine can handle the .357 Rem Max pressure. Having said that, being cautious, I`m willing to push the envelope enough to try to achieve the 2000 fps goal. I just want to do it with the powder that offers the least pressure as a starting point.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    Here is some testing of Buffalo Bore .357 mag 180gr loads, in various guns. http://www.gunblast.com/MilesFortis-...uffaloBore.htm
    Using a NEF single shot, the 180gr load was over 1900fps, and averaged 1884fps.

Buffalo Bore claims this load is safe for ALL guns, allbeit, a tad uncomfortable in lighter revolvers. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=100

What PSI or CUP rating are they loading to? The ratings of yesteryear??
    What powder and primer combo is going to achieve this velocity?
    Seems to be a pretty fast load for a pill that heavy.
    "Running at standard pressure" The second sentence of the article.