MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NOE 9.3 group buy!

Vendor Sponsor
    Isn't there a group buy for a plain base version of this boolit running right now?

ammohead

Boolit Bub
    I've been having trouble with my 9.3 boolits. I've been trying to seat my .375 gas checks onto my boolits with a Lee custom .367 sizing die, with disastrous results. The gas check actually bends downwards on one side and the entire boolit ends up useless. Is anyone else trying gas check seating with a Lee die successfully, or do I have to break down and buy a lubrisizer? As far as I can tell, the die is perfectly concentric and has no issues; it's the gas checks are too large to size down in one step. Maybe another custom Lee die in .371 or so?
    When I die, I want people to look at my coffin and say: "He sure owed me a lot of money."

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Erik....what I've found to work the easiest is....and I use a lubri-sizer but I think it would work ok with the Lee too.....I first seat the check with a 375 to 377 die just pushing them in enough so as not to hit the bands. With the Lee you'd just push it through. Then I run them through with a 368 die or whatever size you want the finished bullet and lube them at that time.

Boolit Mold
    ErikT,

I had the same problem with a Lee .368 sizer. What worked for me was to polish the Lee sizer with very fine emery cloth. After polishing, the gas checks will slide through the die easier. You should only need to polish the forcing cone. If that doesn't work, sent it back to Lee for repair.

Boolit Bub
    Excellent advice, guys! Thanks a lot. I already have a .376 sizer die on order from Lee, and I will try polishing the entry cone as well. Hopefully this will solve the problems. Otherwise, I just may have to break down and buy a lubrisizer. Things are expensive here in Canada!
    When I die, I want people to look at my coffin and say: "He sure owed me a lot of money."

Boolit Bub
    Long time to resurrect this thread, but I thought I'd share some results. Here is a boolit loaded into my 9.3 x 64mm Brenneke next to a .308. She's beautiful, no?

And here are the results! This turned out to be an average group, too! The rifle is a custom WW2 Mauser action with a 26-inch Heym hammer-forged barrel and a Bushnell 3200 3-9x with firefly reticle. My load is gas-checked and lubed with my own home recipe, over 50 grains of H414 and a Winchester Magnum Rifle primer. I'd say the recipe works! Hopefully it'll take a nice bull elk this fall.

Banned

Lovely rifle, GREAT shooting!

Definitely let us know when you bag something.

Boolit Bub
    I’ve done some work in the past few weeks with the 9.3 280 NOE boolit in my 9.3x57 in anticipation for this year’s upcoming deer season.

I cast up some Hollow points and flat nose bullets out of 20 to 1 alloy and used the gas checks in .375 I ordered with the mold. I sized to .368 via Buckshot’s excellent die.

I am using a load of 26 grains of Reloder #7 (safe in my rifle, use at your own risk) and although I haven’t chronographed it yet I would say it is in the 1300 to 1400 fps range. I used resized 8x57 brass I modified on Hornady dies.

Testing was at 25 yards into a thick stack of loosely bound water soaked magazines.
    The first hollow point I tested last Friday had too deep a hollow point cavity (I set it too deep). The front of the boolit blew off much like a Nosler Partition and the remaining shank weighing 123.1 grains (44%). The hollow point penetrated about one inch into the block, expanded creating a 2 inch diameter hole about three inches deep and then narrowed down to about ½ inch to the full depth of penetration, stopping at about 14 inches in depth.

I recast a batch a couple of days later and reduced the hollow point depth to the point where only the tapered portion of the pin was in the mold cavity. Everything else remained the same.

My test yesterday resulted in virtually the same wound cavity and penetration in the media but with a shank weight retention of 166.2 grains (59%)

I shot some solid nose into the block as well. One penetrated the full depth of the block and sank up about 2 inches in the burm with the recovered weight being 246.2 grains (88%). There was some expansion. The other solid nose stopped about 13 inches into the block and retained 264 grains (94%) of its weight.

I would post some pics but I am still learning how to do that on this forum.
    Last edited by 375H&HGuy; 10-12-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Got My 9.3x62 today gave it a quick going over a loaded up 10rds of ammo. Started with 50gr of Varget and a Wolf LRP under 268-280 cast form WW+2% tin AC Used 3rds to get on at 25yds. Moved to 50yrds shoot 3 more getting close.The last 3 at this range went into a 1" group. Had one more so I move to 100yds and shot at a slug hole and it hit 1 1/2"high WaHooooooo!! I think this is going to be a great combo. Clint

Boolit Buddy
    Not bad for 50 year old eyes and iron sights at 100 yards.

Bullet sized to: 0.368", BHN 17
    Rifle: 9.3x57 Husqvarna model 46
    Powder: 36 gr IMR4895
    Velocity: 1700 fps (estimated by QUICKLOAD)

A pleasant load that regulates nicely with the iron sights on my M46. I only loaded 10 rounds and "wasted" the first 7 on the 100 yard gong. That "Bang-POP" noise from the gong is strangely satisfying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0001.JPG  
    Last edited by jethunter; 09-07-2012 at 04:17 PM.

The other afternoon I shoot my 9.3 at a 100 and 200yds. The load was 35 gr of H4895 with Wolf LRP and got a 1 1/2" at 100 but at 200 i was running out of time. So I loaded 3 and shoot as fast as I could and got 5 1/4" with just a front bag. Got to do more shooting but am close. Clint

Banned

man I can't even SEE a 200 yd target, good shooting

Well got the 9.3 X62 set for this year. My load is 368-280 cast of lyman#2 sized .368 Carnuba Red/45gr/Varget /wolf lr. Wipe the barrel a dry patch ever 5rds. The last group was 5 shots 3 3/4" at 200yds the first 3 in 2 1/4. Sighted in 2" high at a 100yds hits 5" below POA at 200yds. Know for MR Whitetail!!!! This is fast becoming my go to round and fun shooting. Clint

Well Mr Whitetail 5pt 2.5yr old walked out at 65yds turned broadside and was walking slow. Hit him in the ribs both lung bloodshot between 2 ribs going in hit 1 going out 1/2" hole in and out. Did a 75yrd death dash and dropped. The best part was my Son Joe was able to join me this year.(we have not hunted together in 7 yrs) Joe got to me just as I got him field dressed after the high fives He just handed me his rifle and grab a horn. But I had to help load him in the trailer. Just a small test but I see great things. Clint

Vendor Sponsor
    [IMG][/IMG]

Finally got my checkmaker from PatMarlin in 9.3. I was disappointed when I first tried seating .375 checks on the noe boolit. I kept bending the boolit trying to get the gas check sized. With Pat's check there is no more of that. I use .008 copper shim stock from McMaster Carr. With the thinner stock there is less sizing to do. That is the beauty of Pat's system...you can pick what thickness works best for you. The group is a first effort on a butt cold windy evening just before dark and I was a bit rushed. I am certain that continued efforts will be much better as this Husquvarna 9.3x62 is a real shooter. But 1.350" at 50 yards is nothing to throw rocks at either. And 4 out of 5 into .900" Thanks Pat for making a great product and thanks AL for making a great mould!

The other two holes are foulers with a clean bbl from a 338-06 and noe 341365 covered on another thread.

Hi Ammohead can you please point in the right direction to do some business with Pat Marlin. I brought a Noe mold, its excellent, the projectiles are not an issue it is just the gas checks. I have messed around for ages and just can't seem to get it happening, its always easier to blame the gear too. The .375 gas checks and associated gear with them seem to be outside my limited capability.
    Cheers Mark..

"Its life Jim but not as we know it"

If the problem is Gater GC are to tight get some Hornaday GC. I had this and this fix my problem. This came from SwedeNelson as he sized the shank for Hornadays. Clint

Banned

instead of the 375GC's from Gator, there are now some 9.3 Gator checks that work great!

Boolit Buddy

Has anyone considered a mold of this profile in say 250gr? I have (2) Husqvarna's in 9.3x57 and (2) in 9.3x62, and I have had very good groups with the Nosler 250gr bullet.

Well after rethinking this I guess you need a longer boolit when shooting lead boolits. Excuse my newbieness when talking BOOLITS.....)
    Last edited by Smokepole50; 04-24-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by rifle vs gun View Post
    Hi Ammohead can you please point in the right direction to do some business with Pat Marlin. I brought a Noe mold, its excellent, the projectiles are not an issue it is just the gas checks. I have messed around for ages and just can't seem to get it happening, its always easier to blame the gear too. The .375 gas checks and associated gear with them seem to be outside my limited capability.
    Mark,

I apologize for not seeing your post sooner. PatMarlin is his handle here on Cast Boolits. He is listed in the Vendor/Sponsor section just down from group buys. Hope this helps.

ammohead

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast