RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Any exp. with 50 cal Lee imp. target minnies??

Boolit Mold

Smile Any exp. with 50 cal Lee imp. target minnies??

Anybody have exp. with 50 Lee imp. target minnies in a TC black diamond? I would like to buy a half doz. before I buy a mold. I tried the Lee Imp. minnies with RN , acc was poor, they are to loose in the bore thanks

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by docux View Post
    Anybody have exp. with 50 Lee imp. target minnies in a TC black diamond? I would like to buy a half doz. before I buy a mold. I tried the Lee Imp. minnies with RN , acc was poor, they are to loose in the bore thanks
    .............Nope. Lots with the 58 cal ones in a P58 Naval Pattern 2 band Enfield though. Your Black Diamond sounds like one of those fast twist inlines designed for plastic sabots, yes?

................BUckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold

Smile black diamond 1-28" twist

TC black diamond is 1-28" twist

Boolit Buddy
    Try the Lee REAL bullits, the minnie is a tad short for that twist.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think Lee Minnie's would do well in a 28 twist and I'm not even sure REAL's would work either but what does it hurt to try. I have the mould and I will check and see what I got in bullets. I've heard of people increasing the base to make the skirt stronger though! I didn't much like them because they fit to tight in my CVA. Seemed more like a REAL bullet after a couple shots.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Just checked my stash and I must have used them all or remelted them but if you give me a few days! Just let me know.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Mold

Smile WHich Lee Minni?

Hi Mooman; Which Lee minnie are we talking about here, the imp with the round nose and flat tip or the target design that looks like a soup can?? I have the first one,it is 360 gr. but it doesn't shoot good as it is to loose in the bore!

Boolit Grand Master

Actually I have both. The one I am talking about is the target minie with the flat tip and it has allot of lube ridges like a Lee TL bullet! 354g #90471.
    Aim small, miss small!

I helped out a buddy with a Scout a few years ago.Dont remember the twist.It would not shoot any of the sabot/bullet combos we tried.I had a few of the .50 ashcans.With 90 gr of fff they shot OK.He had meat hung up that day. I think with some load work it would work OK. I can cast some up for you to play around with if you like.Remember the minne must be .001-.002 bore dia to work well
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Mold

Will take you up on your offer,

Shooter; will take you up on your offer, will gladly buy a half doz.of the .50 ashcans as you call them ,PM me the details. Don't quite understand what you mean when you say they need ,002-.003 of the bore, do you mean that tight or that loose in the bore??

docux ,Got a big ol band aid on my left typing finger.Messes me all up. That was supose to be "under bore size"You get much more windage than that and minne groups go south. I will fire up the pot this weekend. PM on the way.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2009 chunkum's Avatar

Lee Modern MInie

I've used the Lee Modern Minie quite a bit in a couple of Huntsmans we have, one in .58 and one in .50.

The two pictured here are not the best I've produced but they'll clarify what I'm talking about. As far as I know, any mini ball is supposed to drop from the mould a little undersized so it can be loaded quickly. The .58 is a bit "looser" than the .50 but both shoot extremelly well, and I've had several one shot drops on whitetail with the .58. I lube them with Bore butter and they are very accurate. However, it's aggravating to feel your bullet s l o w l y sliding down the bore when you're going into the woods. After the rifle's been fired, then I've not observed this anymore. I solved this problem by wrapping the first minie with teflon tape for good "fit" in the bore that I can push down easlily enoiugh but won't be affected by gravity if the muzzle is down. In other words "no worries" in this regard when hunting. Reloads don't need the tape. The minies are designed with a hollow base so when the charge goes off, the skirt grabs the rifling and it travels true to your target. I don't use anything else for ML hunting, cuz it does so good. If you can't get any samples to try from the other poster, send me a PM and I'll get some off to you. I'm pretty sure I have plenty of them cast up..
    Best Regards,
    chunkum
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it irritates the pig.

Boolit Mold

Thanks for all the good info. I apprec. it!!

Chunk; I have ?? for you , you say you get good acc., is that true in the 50 and is it a 1-28' twist? Shooter is going to send me some , so we'll see what happens, thanks a bunch

Lee Modern Minie

Quote Originally Posted by docux View Post
    Chunk; I have ?? for you , you say you get good acc., is that true in the 50 and is it a 1-28' twist? Shooter is going to send me some , so we'll see what happens, thanks a bunch
    By good accuracy, I mean minute of paper plate at 65-85 yards from an off hand ("stand-up-and-shoot-em-like-a-man") position. They'll do a lot better than I can shoot. Back in the 70s when I got my rifle (the .58), an acquaintance would borrow it to hunt squirrels using round balls and always came home with a hunting vest full of headless squirrels. I haven't checked the twist in the little huntsman .50 caliber but it would be interesting. It's my wife's rifle and the .58 is mine. I have been amazed by the effectiveness of the wad cutter type configuration on whitetail. I'll weigh one of each tonight and check the twist of both and post it later on th is evening. I believe the design will do well for you.
    c.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you using a 209 primer? Loose powder or pellets?

Boolit Mold

Using 209 primer

I am using 209 primers & pyro.RS loose

Both Huntsman's have a 1/28 twist. (.50 and .58 calibers)
    However, after looking further, the "Improved Mini" and the "Modern Mini" appear to be different bullet styles. Oh well....
    c.

Boolit Mold

2 different Lee bullets

Chunk; The Lee catalog lists the Imp. Minnie Traditional Design which is a round nose bullet with a small flat on top. The other is a Mod. Minnie Target Design which is what you have pictured above, thats the one I'm interested in . We'll see what shooter sends me and go from there, thanks

docux,
    Did those .50 caliber Lee Modern Mini's ever make the trip up your way? It's been almost a week and, even with the bad weather, the postman should have made it by your place by now? Be interesting to see how they shoot for you?
    Best Regards,
    chunkum