Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought American after all,

Boolit Buddy
    20 Posts on this thread............I'm still stuck on the first...........I can't wrap my mind around the idea that a gun could be too pretty to take to the woods.......???????????? I guess I just don't get it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Not too pretty, just a shame to screw up a historically significant piece, 1949 made Winchester Model 70 in real original condition. Should be in a collection, not so many real good original ones around.

I also wanted to standardise as much as possible, having same set up, same QD Mounts so that I could move hig end Leupold from one to the next and have same feel. Also when I pop off the Remingtons will not be worth much. I would roll over in my ash casket if I saw the high qual guns sold off cheap and my kids dip out through lack of gun smarts.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I will probably use 50 to run the barrel in (and loosen up any tight spots in my head)
    Thats one of the benefits of shooting high powered rifles that few recognize. The bouncing around of grey matter helps prevent the brain from sticking to the inside of the skull. The loosened fit of brain to skull gives room for the brain to expand (after making a one hole group with witnesses for example) without snapping the hatband.

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Thats one of the benefits of shooting high powered rifles that few recognize. The bouncing around of grey matter helps prevent the brain from sticking to the inside of the skull. The loosened fit of brain to skull gives room for the brain to expand (after making a one hole group with witnesses for example) without snapping the hatband.
    Welllllllllllllllllllllllllll, yer learn something every day, my old grandfather used to say to me when I was a young boy, 'Michael, try and learn something new every day!'

My 444Marlin with Hornady factory 265Gn ammo (came with the rifle), is excellent for this!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Mick, would you be interested in trying out some heavies for your 375 H&H?

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    Mick, would you be interested in trying out some heavies for your 375 H&H?
    What are you talking abut Dan? Heavy game or heavy boolits? lol.

Took the 270 to the range today to run the barrel in with factory loads. Gave it a clean and couldn't get rounds to chamber. They would hang up sticking out of the front reciever ring about a half inch and would wobble about. It looked like the chamber was too short, so I thought that it must have had been a 270WSM chamber. I looked, squinted, shone a torch up there. everyone else had a look and the consensus of opinion was that it must have been an incorrectly stamped bbl. I put it aside and helped my son with his 3006 by spotting for him. A few hours later I picked it up, thinking I might take it out in the sun to try and have another look at the chamber. As I went to clear it before removing it from the bench as per the club's range safety rules, I noticed the barrel didn't seem to be cleared (mind you this rifle had been checked by one of three range officers every 20 mins or so for some four hours, every time we wanted to go forward to check targets, it was checked because it was still on the bench woth bolt removed, must have been checked 6-8 times at least). I had another look and there was a shadow in the bore. I called the range officer over and we checked it, closed the range and took it out in the sun, where we could see a piece of flannellette caught in the bolt lug recess. Fished it out and we were good to go. It must have got swept up off the bench and deposited there, invisible, but preventing the bolt from going into battery. Weird.

Ended up getting the cheap freebee Simmons scope dialed in and it produced a few decent groups. I will fit the big Leupold I have for it later in the week and finish running it in. Rough start on a good rifle! D'Oh!!!!

I normally only use Leupold scopes. I was very impressed with the 3-9x40 Chinese made Simmons. It is designed in the States and built in China. It had a neat focus/ zoom ring on th eback making it easy to focus. Very neat. It had no trouble picking up 270 holes at 100 yards. I will put it on a Hornet or 22. Surprisingly good!

Had a great day on the range with my eldest two sons.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 03-06-2011 at 03:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    Heavy cast bullets. 390gr to be exact. Looking for people to test them on game not available to me here in the states.

Dang! That is heavy! They would do well on scrub bulls and buffalo in teh Northern Territory! UNfortunately my funds don't extend to that sort of hunt,

What is the current price of petrol down under - they seem to be raising in in US daily now.

I use up to 300 grn in my molds but I like to share between 375 Weatherby and 375 WCF.

One of my favorites for 375 weatherby is a Mold Walt of NEI made back in the day
    Copper jacketed bullet using chunk of copper tubing.

$US 1.41 a litre or $US 5.33 US Gallon. I use diesel in my 4wd (5 speed dual range 4.2Ltr /256cu in Nissan Patrol Station Wagon with aftermarket Swizer turbo) and it hovers around the same, sometimes a bit dearer, sometimes a bit cheaper. Always fancied one of those moulds, but I think I will stick to cast with Barnes Triple Shocks as backups in the mag.

Well I feel better now about paying $3.31/gal on March 7th but 3.18/gal on March 1st - getting to where I almost want to top off the tank after work every day.

Boolit Master
    That 375 will come in handy for one of those huge buff's you have, as a finisher round of course when you don't have a clean kill with your Mic Dundee Bowie knife that is .
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    $US 1.41 a litre or $US 5.33 US Gallon. I use diesel in my 4wd (5 speed dual range 4.2Ltr /256cu in Nissan Patrol Station Wagon with aftermarket Swizer turbo) and it hovers around the same, sometimes a bit dearer, sometimes a bit cheaper. Always fancied one of those moulds, but I think I will stick to cast with Barnes Triple Shocks as backups in the mag.
    They don't allow us to have anything that actually marry's fuel efficiency and ruggedness over here. Its either an F250 or a Prius.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

MOst of the traditional 4wds over here are Toyota Landcruisers or Nissan Patrols. They are both rugged reliable units and they are extremely capable off road. Toyotas (called Tojos) are the most popular. The Nissan has the edge on ruggedness, but there's not much in it. These are expensive new and over the past 15 years or so, the utility based 4wds are growing in popularity.

They are very good, economical and reliable, but I prefer a full sized vehicle. The big F250s are getting more popular here, but they are sooooooooooooooooooo expensive. They are popular as they can maintain good speed fully loaded, up hill and down dale. They are a bit of a handful in the bush though.

Mine is a 1990 model and has done 115,000 miles. I'm 63, so I reckon it will see me out.

I'll have to stop this, I am hi-jacking my own thread!

Just mention the Rig's make a good shooting platform and your right back on track. ;^)

Good to hear the rem 700 still shoots well,I got a 308 Mtn Rifle that shoots sierra 150SP's into half inch groups when I can do my part.I tried cast boolits in it and it shoots them well with 38 grains H4895.The rifle is so accurate and light that I've decided to let my son have it for a very low price.He likes the light weight,it has a 3x9 compact leupold.The trigger is very light also.They are good rifles,I think you will like them a lot.I think your son would like it a lot also like my son likes mine.I was going to sell my 308 on GB but since my son likes it so much he's going to have it.

Good Allies

"but in the end decided to stick with guns made by our ally, you guys!"

I appreciate the attitude and I too, enjoy reading your posts.

My hunting partner has a M700 that I call the "Laser of Death". I don't think he's ever missed with it, he never shoots targets and I don't think he ever cleans it. I bet the only time it's been cleaned, I did it!

I hope you enjoy them. And I'm proud to have you as an ally.

Jay

Thanks, sawa Model 700 Police MOdel in 308 today. Quite cheap compared to how expensive they were a few years ago. Nice rifle, but I managed to resist (for the moment anyway). I also set eyes on a box of 50 Remington 17Fireballs! Way cool! I believe the SPS is available in this chambering! I also managed to resist this one!

Resistance is Futile...

Remington 700

--------------------
    How much Cocaine has Charle Sheen snorted?

Enough to kill two and a half men.

Budumpba-ching

I'm a sick man! I bought an SPS Tactical today in 308. This is the 20" HBar model with the Varmint stock. 2/3rds the price of the Police model and they are right out of stock at the moment. It won't be as flash as the Police, but with the cheaper price a 17Fireball SPS is 2/3rds paid for!. Mow I have to do a bit of safe clearing of rifles that are now obselete and concentrate on shooting mt Remington armoury.

The 308 Tactical will take care of a lot of my cast boolit shooting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast