Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magma master pot

The RCBS, I think? has a stainless steel pot. Takes up less space on a bench too.

The Master Pot is all I use for hand moulds. My pot has melted several tons of alloy with no problems............ZERO. I'm sure the larger Magma pot would be better but I'm happy with the 40 pounder. When using the double pour spout & a 4 cavity mould I pour two cavities, stop the pour, move the mould, pour the other two cavities. This way I can pour the streams through the center of the sprue cutter holes.

These pots aren't cheap & if I wasn't doing what I do I'd have a RCBS 20 pounder.

I was just over at Magma this weekend ordering a Master Caster. Its gonna be two weeks while they are waiting on heater blankets/elements for thier pots. Everyone is sick and in the hospital on top of it and Sylvia was running around frantic. She was surprised I wasnt "mad" that I had to wait 2 weeks since everyone else thats called them has been yelling about wanting thier machines NOW.
    Calehedron
    Roll Tide!
    KCH Reloading
    Custom Cast Bullets and Brass Processing
    Owner/Operator
    A small garage based business

Boolit Master

Lets just say we are more "tempered" here than most folk. We hear a week here a week there and all of us are like *shrug* and we place the order. Good, cheap, fast. Pick two.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    Is it worth the money? I use a Lee 4-20 and cast 15 - 20K pistol bullets a year. How much better than the 4-20 is it?

I have noticed its a real pain when the 4-20 pot runs empty and I'm still in the mood to cast...Kind of screws up the swing of things. I'm hopeful that the 40 pound pot will fix that problem.

Does the Master Cast pot drip / leak like the 4-20?
    I run a 4-20 & a MAsterCaster. I can tell you that the MC isn't any fster than the 4-20 & a 6cav mold. It's just you can stand there for hours pulling hte hnalde w/o fatigue. I can't imagine the 40# Magma has any advantage, for the money, of a 4-20. When casting w/ mine, I just add 2-3# ingots when it gets down 1/3. This keeps the alloy hot enough to continue casting w/ very little wait time, maybe 5min w/ a stir of the pot w/ a wooden paint stick. You could even run two 4-20, one to cast & one to add molted lead, but I just don't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by a roose View Post
    I don't believe the master caster will work on a GFI circuit. It did not work for me until I removed the GFI receptacle. I was lucky enough that the code allowed me to do that.
    Any idea why it tripped the GFCI? Could there be a grounding issue in the Magma?
    When in doubt tell the truth. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by desiko View Post
    Any idea why it tripped the GFCI? Could there be a grounding issue in the Magma?
    GFI recepticles don't like heating elements (my guess is they act to much like a short) like those same as hairdryers Air compressors pull hard at startup and trip them as well. I ran a stand alone 110v circuit for the master caster for this reason no GFI on that one.

No if you want real aggravation get a ARC fault circuit.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post

No if you want real aggravation get a ARC fault circuit.
    Ain't that the truth! One of the dumber things in the NEC!

Even though this thread is 7 years old, I've enjoyed reading about the Master pot. Sure am thinking about one!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Ain't that the truth! One of the dumber things in the NEC!

Even though this thread is 7 years old, I've enjoyed reading about the Master pot. Sure am thinking about one!
    Yes my house, which I built with my own boney fingers has three of those and I am seriously thinking of replacing them with regular breakers. If I ever sell I would just put them back in service. Can not even run the vacuum in the bedroom. Seems to pop off if there is much over a cell charger running piece of junk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12