Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 1894 Marlin 357

1894 Marlin 357

I picked up a 1894 Marlin 357 a couple weeks ago at a gun show. Shot it enough to know it likes 357s better than 38s. But still some 38 loads would touch holes at 25 yards. Just picked it up from the gunsmith who I had put a Marbles tang sight on it. Needed one hole drilled and I'm not that handy. Really like the way it looks can't wait to shoot it. But after last Tuesday nights 18 inches of snow an 45 mph winds. Might be awhile. It feeds SWC just fine but I picked up some 158 .358 rounds flat nose made by Suters that feed a lot better. You guys have me wanting to get my casting equipment back out but I don't have time to shoot anymore let alone cast. I use to shoot USPSA, cast, loaded an fired 20,000 rounds one year. But those days are gone. Used a Lee 6 cavity 170 TL 40 cal. really enjoyed all of it. Casting loading and shooting.

Boolit Master
    Now you need 1894 cowboys in 357, 44 mag, 45 colt, 45-70, 32 H&R and 38 spl (competition model cowboy) These Marlins are addicting. Get some more, you NEED them.

Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    Now you need 1894 cowboys in 357, 44 mag, 45 colt, 45-70, 32 H&R and 38 spl (competition model cowboy) These Marlins are addicting. Get some more, you NEED them.
    Yep they sure are addicting. Have three myself (357,41mag and 44mag). I think I will have to look for the 32H+R next.

sb
    sb

I saw a very nice 32-20 used $950.00 it'll be awhile before I get one of those. I have a 35 Rem and would like a 32 mag and a .22. All in time.

Boolit Grand Master
    I only have 1 cowboy model, a 45 Colt with the 24 inch barrel. Love it. My 32-20, 357, 30-30, and 45-70 are voting old standard models. Sigh.

Boolit Master

I have a 1894 in 357 mag with a aim point sight, that i enjoy shooting off hand , i have shot more rounds through it in 8 years than i have through all of my other centerfire rifles combined in my life , and im 62 years old, but i am a pistol junkie !
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 02-09-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Smile

I cannot say enough good things about my Marlin 357. I have killed many of these smallish Mid-TN deer with authority, in fact, all of them have been one shot kills within 75 yards or so. It is awesome for predators like coyotes also, and I have some 38's loaded with 125 RFN over 3.5 grs. of Bullseye when I want to plink around, and have even used these with great effect on small game.

Women/children or non-shooters seem to love the thing also because there is basically no recoil, very little noise, lightweight and easy to handle.

Here's my 1894 specific 170 grain FP. Nose is .300" long to insure feeding.

Last couple of new Marlin 357's We've encountered could feed the Saeco 180 gain RNFP. Don't know if that's dumb luck or if Marlin lengthened the spec.

If you hold the power down a littel you don't need a gas check.

I shot the 1894 yesterday with the Marbles tang sight all the way down. It was about 6 in. high at 25 yards with 158gr. and 3.5 gr. unique. Any idea how tall the front sight should be?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Here are three bullets that i shoot in my Marlins.
    Left to right 160,180 & 200
    If you would like to try some of these let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008.JPG  

PM sent

Did you have to modify your carrier to handle the longer heavyweights?
    GH1

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.
    Don't forget the 218 Bee!! Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Bub
    I really like the ranch dog 190 with healthy dose of little gun I followed his load data, it will not feed so you will have to fix the gun to work.

I called Brownell's and they gave me a formula that I thought I'd pass on. I'll bet some of you already know it but I thought it might be helpful.
    Take the length of your sight radius in inches times the number of inches correction you need then divide by the distance your were shooting in inches.

My gun has a 24 inch sight radius
    shooting 6.5 inches high
    at 25 yards
    24X6.5=156
    25 yards =900 inches
    156 divided by 900=0.1733333
    So you need to change the height of you front sight .173 or as close as you can. Hope somebody find this helpful.

Boolit Master

With barrel sights it's fairly easy to guesstimate based on barrel diameters at front and rear sight- then figure off of bore center. For the tang mounted sight it's a little tough. The basic idea is for the rear sight lowest position and front sight height to be parallel to the bore.

Without the math, I've measured and estimated directly and come pretty close when I've tried it. Take a heavy thread or fine string and run thru the center of tang aperture when the aperture is at lowest setting or enough above barrel top for best minimum sight picture clearance. Even a long straight edge can be used instead of the string. Taking into account the barrel taper you can estimate parallel to center of bore to the front sight. The string will show the height of where the top of the front sight needs to be for parallel to bore. With tapered barrels it takes some eyeball estimation. But with a little more effort you can run a second string thru the bore and laying along one edge... that shows bore parallel. Both strings can run well out past the muzzle for a much more precise method of judging sight line to be parallel with the bore line. Of course with no-taper round or no-taper octagon barrels it's a "piece o cake" and can be measured directly off the top of the barrel.