Load DataWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 105 SWC load data

Boolit Master

Lee 105 SWC load data

I have been using the search function trying to find load data for this boolit. It is spread out all over the place and quite frankly I got frustrated trying to run it down. I know from the multiple threads that quite a few members think highly of this mold. Maybe some of you guys using it would be willing to share some of your load data in this one thread that may make it easier for others to find in the future. I know I shoot .380, 9mm, and .38/.357 and it would be great to find info in one thread. Then, maybe it could even be stickied? The popularity of this boolit seems to be growing rapidly, both because of it's versatility and it's lead stinginess. Just a thought, thanks for looking.

James

Boolit Grand Master
    James,

I shoot the Lee 105 gr. out of my 38 Spec. Marlin , 1894. I shoot 7 grs. of Russian Unique. Very accurate. No pressure problems in my rifle. You can see the group in the link below ( by the way.....that bullet hole at 2 o'clock is me , not the rifle or the loads ) :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83154
    Last edited by Ben; 02-05-2011 at 01:10 PM.

bhn22
    That's kind of a tall order for a single thread, 4 calibers using the same bullet. Did you check the powder manufacturers websites? Particularly the ones whos powders you want to use? There should be a lot of data for 100- 115 gr bullets in each caliber. You can even develop data from starting loads for jacketed bullets & work up or down until you find loads that you like.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a " tall order ", but the little Lee 105 gr. may just be up to the task. A fine little bullet.

You'll end up with a lot more bullets from 10 lbs. of alloy. A " stingy " little bullet when it comes to conserving lead.

Ben

Boolit Master

bhn22, it was just a thought that if someone were to bump into this thread they could contribute load data. There are several threads on this particular projectile, but little in the line of load data. Maybe I am trying to over simplify things.
    Last edited by Finster101; 03-27-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 358105 SWC in a S&W model 14-6 as a plinking boolit using 3.5grs of Bullseye and any small pistol primer.
    It is accurate enough in my gun to shoot golf balls at 25 yards. That is good enough for me for a plinker and there is no recoil....................Terry

Boolit Master

I have loaded this bullet in 9MM with 4.4 gr. Unique and it shoots and functions fine through my Glock 17. When I first started loading this bullet I didn't know where to seat it and finally used the crimping groove and my Glock started feeding them just fine.

Skeet1

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I used this boolit years ago in my 6" S&W M14. IIRC, 5gr Bullseye shot really tight groups at 50 yards.

I use it in my .380 and 9mm and it does just fine. I don't have a 38 nor a 357.

Boolit Master
    This bullet tends to cast large..when sizing to .358" the grease & crimping groove gets reduced quite a bit and the front driving band will often hang up on a seater die (I use a Lyman)... I now use a .359" sizer die. I find it best to seat the bullet in a larger caliber die first then crimp with a TC die.

I shoot in a .38 Special with 4.0 grains of Red Dot--great plinker load. One pound of lead makes 67 bullets...

Boolit Mold
    The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition has several recipes for this bullet.

I would sure like to see more favorite loads with this boolit. Lots of folks seem to like it a lot.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I've loaded the 105 Lee swc over 3 gr of Bullseye in the .380, 9x18, 9x19 & .38 special. That load was a tad warm in the .380, but it was a *****-cat in the rest of them. My wife does well with that combination.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

In 38spl, S&W14-2 6"
    50/50 ww and range scrap, air cooled and sized 358, lubed with BAC
    3.2gr of VV-N310, federal sp primer
    OAL 1.38"

Clocks at 850fps. Very little recoil but good for punching paper out to 80 yds or so.

I use it for my national competition shooting.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to try that boolit. Right now I have the 6 cav. Ranch Dog TL358-100-RF. It's a lead saver too. Mine drop at .360". The boolit has a large meplat and was designed for the smaller .380s, but I have also shot it in .38 Special with good results. It's a plain base tumble lube design. Next I will try them in a .357 revolver and my 1894c Marlin.

Boolit Buddy

I have shot this bullet with range scrap (mostly .22's) and shot as cast with JPW and 1.5 grains of Bullseye with any SP primer out of my 6" model 14 S&W 38 special. I have to point the barrel up before every shot but the fun part is I can watch the bullet go down range on a 50 foot dimly lite range. Even less recoil than my .22 if that's possible.
    Fun to shoot and I can keep all the shot on the black of a B-2 or B-3 target. If you try it you just have to be vigilant of a bulet that doesn't make it out of the barrel.

2shot

2.8 grains of 700X shoots great in a 38 snubnose or a 6 inch 357. My alloy was soft, 10 or less.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot this yesterday :

Last edited by Ben; 03-26-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Boolit Man
    My plinking load with this boolit is 3.0 gr. of Clays in .38 special cases. Works good in my S&W 686 and my Marlin 94.

I bought the six banger mold sight unseen from all the reports i have read concerning this magic little Lee bullet.

Works fabulously in my nines and my LCP as well. If I ever get a .38 again, I'm already there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast