MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lead alloy calculators

Roto Metals does sell "Antimonial Lead" It varies in Sb quite a bit so I get pure (or whatever) and add superhard, more cost effective.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    anyone figure out a alloy calculator app for phones yet?
    I have opened this calculator on an Android phone with Google Sheets, Docs to Go, and OfficeSuite.
    Not sure about iPhone apps, but anything that opens an excel sheet would do it.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master

Talking Guessing game?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Yup, that's what I meant by figured it out. It's a guessing game..............but it works in the long run.
    Hi, YES I'm new on here but I couldn't help not putting 2 cents in. If you have "20-1" of anything that's 5%. SO, Multiply ANY amount of lead you got by 5% and it will tell you what amount of alloy to use. You will ALWAYS have a consistent ratio! (IE 10-1 is the same as 100-10 which is 10% of 100). Another way is to divide 1 by 20 which is .05 (5%)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Hi, YES I'm new on here but I couldn't help not putting 2 cents in. If you have "20-1" of anything that's 5%. SO, Multiply ANY amount of lead you got by 5% and it will tell you what amount of alloy to use. You will ALWAYS have a consistent ratio! (IE 10-1 is the same as 100-10 which is 10% of 100). Another way is to divide 1 by 20 which is .05 (5%)
    Mixing ratio math is not done that way.
    20:1 lead-tin alloys are made by adding 20 parts lead to one part of tin.
    So there are 21 parts in total. That gives you 4.76% tin instead of 5% like the 1 in 20.

The difference in percentages is greater in small mixing ratios like 1:1 (2 parts total) or 2:1 (3 parts total).
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Man
    general FYI: Lead pipe ingots I smelted XRF scanned at .6%Sn and 3.5% SB

Boolit Bub
    This is a very cool app. Now if I could only get access to an XRF machine to test my alloys.

Very cool app, thanks. Downloaded to my droid turbo 2 and works perfect with Android office.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I downloaded the Lead calculator (THANK YOU) but I have a question. I water quench, how do I take that into account when using your calculator?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccord View Post
    I downloaded the Lead calculator (THANK YOU) but I have a question. I water quench, how do I take that into account when using your calculator?
    The calculator is only for air cooled alloys, so you'll just need to do some testing to see how the water quench affects the hardness.
    I suggest that you drop a few samples out of each batch off to the side so you can take some before and after readings.
    It would be great if you were to post your findings so others could get an idea of what to expect for a particular alloy.

Cheers

I have been casting for a couple of years now, I can not beleive I just found this. THANK YOU!

I purchased a pallet of Linotype when I first started and mix my pure lead I get from the scrap yard. This is going to be very helpful. Now to do some test casts so I can see how the water quench will effect hardness. My first try will be looking for something around 20 for some 44 Mag I want to cast for my Ruger 77/44 Rifle I just got.

Boolit Master

great spreadsheet! Thank you for going to all the effort to do this. I had just crunched some numbers on a Superhard/reclaimed shot alloy mix and your spreadsheet matched my pencil/paper/calculator math without all the effort!

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    I have opened this calculator on an Android phone with Google Sheets, Docs to Go, and OfficeSuite.
    Not sure about iPhone apps, but anything that opens an excel sheet would do it.
    I havr no idea what im doing wrong It will open on my phone but I cant input any data....
    I tried again on my desk top same problem. I try to change the input data and it says read only format
    Last edited by mac1911; 06-25-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    down loaded apache open office and still in read only format. I want to try and make some alloy with the known scraps I have.

Boolit Master
    so I at least figured out how to get the alloy calculator to wwork...
    when you open it from the link I need to find the paper and pencil symbol at the top left of the screen on the spred sheet. When you put the cursor over it it will say edit this file.... just be careful as its easy to edit any portion of the spread sheet.

Banned
    This is a great boon, remember to read all of Bump's instruction's under the download, like all great things it has a couple minor quirks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    This is a great boon, remember to read all of Bump's instruction's under the download, like all great things it has a couple minor quirks
    It worked fine on my old computer not so much on this new one?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    It worked fine on my old computer not so much on this new one?
    Try to "save as" a new file. That should remove the read only issue.

Boolit Mold
    Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.
    Thanks for the great spreadsheet.
    I have question though, and i may have done something to the spreadsheet by accident, but I'm not sure my formulas are working correctly.
    Here's my issues:
    I put in that i have one pound of 50/50 solder, which on the chart shows to be a brinell of 14,yet with only the 1 lbs it shows an estimated hardness of 23.1, Am I missing something, did I mess something up?
    Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 4.00.33 PM.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	199607

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dingopb View Post
    Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.
    Thanks for the great spreadsheet.
    I have question though, and i may have done something to the spreadsheet by accident, but I'm not sure my formulas are working correctly.
    Here's my issues:
    I put in that i have one pound of 50/50 solder, which on the chart shows to be a brinell of 14,yet with only the 1 lbs it shows an estimated hardness of 23.1, Am I missing something, did I mess something up?
    Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 4.00.33 PM.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	199607
    That is due to the limitations of the hardness formula. It is really only valid with tin and antimony percentages found in boolit alloys. The formula produces good values when both Sn and Sb are higher that about 1%, but not higher than about 6%. It is all we have so far, so it is what we use. Just keep that in mind when using the calculator.

Thanks,
    Bumpo628

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast