Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lead alloy calculators

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
    Just spotted this stickie so I'm having fun playing with your program. Thanks for your work!

On an aside note that Roto Metals formula is supposed to be X not necessarily 8.6 You put the BHN of your particular mix in place of X and calculate and add the other figures to get BHN. Surprised someone hadn't pointed that out before.
    +1 I have just figured this out today too.

This really needs explaining at the top, otherwise we never get any mix softer than Brin 8.6

Boolit Master
    My computer always had a hard time opening the lead alloy calculator. Now it won't even run?
    Is there a Lead Alloy Calculator in the works for smart phones /kindles and the likes?

Boolit Master

Originally Posted by Mike W1
    Just spotted this stickie so I'm having fun playing with your program. Thanks for your work!
    On an aside note that Roto Metals formula is supposed to be X not necessarily 8.6 You put the BHN of your particular mix in place of X and calculate and add the other figures to get BHN. Surprised someone hadn't pointed that out before.

Originally Posted by SniderBoomer
    +1 I have just figured this out today too.
    This really needs explaining at the top, otherwise we never get any mix softer than Brin 8.6
    Here is the source of the formula:
    http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm
    Basic Rules for Hardening Lead:
    For every 1% additional tin, Brinell hardness increases 0.3.
    For every 1% additional antimony, Brinell hardness increases 0.9.
    For a simple equation,
    Brinell = 8.60 + ( 0.29 * Tin ) + ( 0.92 * Antimony )

If you put in the numbers for hardball and lyman #2, the formula comes out very close to the published values using the "8.6" as-is in the formula. The formula does not work well (match published data) unless both tin and antimony percentages are about 1% or more. Of course, you can not get a lower BHN than 8.6 with this formula, but it does not say in the source that it works for every case.

I don't quite understand where the "X" number idea you guys mentioned above comes from.
    I would appreciate it if you could explain a bit more.
    Last edited by bumpo628; 11-30-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    My computer always had a hard time opening the lead alloy calculator. Now it won't even run?
    Is there a Lead Alloy Calculator in the works for smart phones /kindles and the likes?
    On the desktop, try opening the calculator with OpenOffice if Microsoft Excel doesn't work for you. Or an older version of Excel.
    http://www.openoffice.org/download/

On the phone, you can use one of the spreadsheet programs like Docs To Go or Google's Sheets.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    On the desktop, try opening the calculator with OpenOffice if Microsoft Excel doesn't work for you. Or an older version of Excel.
    http://www.openoffice.org/download/

On the phone, you can use one of the spreadsheet programs like Docs To Go or Google's Sheets.
    Im not sure how I got it to open last few times I know its always a pita. Doesnt look like I have Excel and when I try and get it they want me to pay for it. No not really spending anymore money on this old *** pc. I tried to get it to work with the kindle I really dont know what im doing wrong and never seem to repeat what I do right.

I tried the openoffice down load and all it seem to do was completely change my new tabs all around to some template BS arrgghh my wife is going to be BS.
    Last edited by mac1911; 07-19-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    I stuck a copy out on Google docs so people without Excel can access it and fiddle around with their own calculations:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    What am doing wrong I can not input any data?

Boolit Master

What am doing wrong I can not input any data?
    You can only do that in the yellow.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    You can only do that in the yellow.
    Correct which still does not allow me to enter data.....? I have all but given up on this.
    Thinking of selling off all my scrap and alloys and just buy fresh virgin alloy ?

Boolit Master

Correct which still does not allow me to enter data.....? I have all but given up on this.
    Thinking of selling off all my scrap and alloys and just buy fresh virgin alloy ?
    Then you have a setting that is wrong either in the program or Windows if you use that.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    Mr Bumpo628 - my hats off to you for a GREAT calculator. Took me a few minutes to figure it out - I was over thinking it. It's so simple, to figure an alloy, just remove all the "Weight" numbers from column "H", then put in the lbs of each alloy you have, and the result appears in the "Mixed Alloy" line.

In my case, I have fairly pure lead (dive weights) and old linotype from the early '70's. "Assuming" the alloy mix is the 4-12-84 ratio shown, I can take 1 lb of linotype and 5 lb of pure lead and have exactly what I'm looking for with a hardness of 10-11 Brinell which is pretty good for black powder shooting. VERY GOOD!!!

Thank you for all your work in putting this together.

Ken H>
    Last edited by KenH; 08-06-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use this on my iPhone and iPads (and PC) flawlessly all the time, every time. Just get an app that uses Excel file format. Easy. I always pay for my apps, but I am sure there is some free-bee thing out there you can find.

banger

Boolit Man
    I use it almost solely on my iPad, using Numbers. Works fine. Very convent to have in you work area.

Boolit Buddy
    i uploaded them to Google drive
    Google Sheets works on everything i own (desktop,laptops,phones,tablets)
    and the same data is wherever i go
    if you have a gmail account you already have everything you need to use the awesome calculator the 21st century way
    Last edited by guncheese; 08-13-2015 at 03:27 PM.

I have Windows 10, whoopy doo! I have Windows office (trial) for Windows 10. Double whoopy flippin doo! Give me back Vista as bad as it was! Anyway, I'm running Open office and quite frankly I don't like it much but it does allow me to use Alloy Calculator. Google drive you say? I will have a look.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-14-2015 at 02:11 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Please delete
    Last edited by Paul_R; 08-30-2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Question has been addressed

Boolit Master
    Bumpo628: You asked about "X" in post #181. I "think" what might be saying is the formula as RotoMetals has it is just a general forum that works for most all values - as you said "both tin and antimony percentages are about 1% or more:

"IF the formula is written as"
    Brinell = X + ( 0.29 * Tin ) + ( 0.92 * Antimony ) with the explanation of "Let X = value of lowest Brinell used in mix" then the formula seems to work nicely even for lower values.

Please do understand, I'm NOT saying the above is 100% correct, just it does seem to work with lower of brinell values.

Great spreadsheet!!!!!

Ken H>

Thank You, just getting into casting. Have a bunch of pure lead, WW, and linotype all smelted into ingots, some Tin and a couple bars of RM SuperHard.

Just needed to find something just like this.

Thank You.

Thanks for the spreadsheet. i suppose my hillbilly self will have to learn to read now. Can put my shoes and socks back on fer countin things.
    The HillBilly
    May God have mercy on the souls of my enemies, because I will not. ~ Patton

Boolit Buddy
    I just got this calculator working today. It wouldn't do anything on my old Vista machine but it works great on 8.1 Windows.
    I find it interesting that some of the alloy changes I was thinking about made little difference in the hardness and others made alot more difference. A great tool to have in the tool box. Thanks for making this calculator.

bumpo628 "I supposed you have been thanked some for this calculator…well here is summore thanks…thank you!"
    Semper Fi…charlie

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast