RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Lyman Molds

Moderator Emeritus

One recent example is a 358009 that was in our classified ads for 1 1/2 days before it sold a a reasonable price. When I started casting in the 90's there had been a re-introduction but they were hard to find. By the late 90's early 00's it was a $100 mold. Because of modern mold mfg's and group buys this one stayed here when it should have been gone by rights in 15 minutes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    don't forget Mountain Moulds.

And don't forgot that old abused molds can be ground to exactly fit a larger diameter caliber rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Time passes and the original owners of companies die. The new owners frequently have
    very differnt interests, goals and methods of business than the original owners, even
    though the name on the door stays the same.

Companies that produced desirable products, to high quality standards for reasonable
    prices prosper. Companies that produce unwanted products and/or poor quality will
    not prosper.

At this point, I can't tell where the current company with the Lyman name is going, but
    some here have reported unsatisfactory results. I hope they are not the new normal,
    but time will tell. For now, I am getting WONDERFUL quality molds to my exact
    needs by some fantastic mold suppliers. If Lyman were to go out of the
    boolit mold business tomorrow, I would not even notice.
    Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

MtGun44 is right, there are no voids in the marketplace that exist for long. One look at the Kimber success story makes that very clear. Many of us thought they were entering a market that was saturated allready, but they did it right, and very quickly became the name to beat if you wanted to be in that market. They also did it at a price point that was profitable to them, and stretched the average buyer just enough that they would find a way to come up with the cash. Other products like Ruger's single actions seem ripe for that kind of picking today so it will be interesting to see what happens. I've been using Lyman molds for nearly 50 years now, and sure hope that I will be till the end. I haven't been shooting Ruger single actions for quite that long, but I sure hope I will be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12