MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Lyman Molds

Boolit Buddy

Old Lyman Molds

I just sent Lyman an e-mail suggesting that many of their old molds be available on a special order basis. I know that some here have had problems with Lyman products but recently I have a good experience with their reps and products. I know they will most likely ignore my suggestion. The number of old black powder cartridges, old military rounds and even the resurgent in cast lead target shooting of modern calibers makes me think this would be a good business move. I am thinking mostly of the old rifle target designs but also those for lesser known cal.s such as 9.3 (366408) most of which are shown in the back of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (#2, from early 70s). I know I am a dreamer but I am tired of searching gun shows for molds I want.

Boolit Master

Good luck, there are probably a few I would seriously consider if they go for your idea

walt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The problem there is, Lyman sold many of it's old cherrys and obsolete molds to Mike's Reloading years ago. They would need to make new cherrys, and I doubt that the new ones would match the old.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Scroll down on this link below, then on to the next page to see what some of those old numbers looked like.

http://www.sodcity.com/gallery2/view...res-etc&page=2
    N.R.A. Life Member

The last 9 months, or so have seen more articles in gun magazines related to cast bullets than I think I saw in the 5 years before that. It seems that you may be right about a resurgence of interest, or perhaps need with the huge increase in jacketed bullet prices. We all know that usually once one shoots some successful loads with home cast bullets, they are hooked. I got really lucky perhaps 15 years ago, and came across a box full of old Lyman, and Ideal molds, mostly single cavity, that the shop hadn't been able to get rid of. I think I gave them $35 for the whole box, but that won't happen many days of the average week, and certainly not in recent times, but it does pay to keep your eyes open.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    All the Ideal Molds ...
    http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm
    Correct on the cherries and diagrams - Gone! Did a group buy for the Ideal 375166 and had to draw the schematic myself and send it to them
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Waksupi, I dont think Mike has them if you are refering to Mike Morton of M & P Casting. He lives about 40 miles south of me and I see him every three or 4 weeks. He told me about a month ago that he was down to Lyman and that they had 2 palets of obsolete old mold cherries. He's been trying to get them for years, or to get Lyman to start running obsolete molds. They are just plain BONEHEAD.

Banned
    Lyman listening to what a customer wants. The government caring about what the serfs want. An honest politician. BigFoot. The boogie man, Vampires, and A woman knowing what she wants before she opens the menu.

All the above are things that make me say "YEAH RIGHT"

The small vendors here actually care about what YOU want and are willing to serve your desires for a very small profit. Not doing business with a feller that is willing to turn your dreams into lead rates right up there with wiping fore ya poop in my book. It simply makes no sense, but that is my take on things.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Easy enough. Everyone put put your favorite number in a pot. Makers to publish offers of production, cost, and time for numbers that intrest them. Let us individually vote on each to establish a production priority, each vote being a public commitment to purchase at the price and constraints offered.

Group buy from a new catalog of old designs. Saves the moaning & groaning, prodding the disintrested ex-makers, waiting forever, etc. BvT

Boolit Buddy

I know I am a dreamer. Should some kind soul wish to make the cherries and sell molds as a part time business I feel he could do very well. My thought would be to make some of the better target boolits and Schuetzen type boolits. Perhaps a retired tool and die maker or machinist retired or part time. Some of the smaller manufacturers could also do it. I just feel that there is a place for these types of molds because of the interest in older rounds and the target shooting of the newer rounds. It is just a cry in the wilderness. I thought that Lyman might give it some consideration.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Lyman has made a couple of special runs of discontinued molds in the last couple years. They are single cavity only but were nice molds. Thet were pre-ordered but I can't remember the man's name who set it up but there was a certain minimum wich was met easily. So you may very well get them to run a mold for you.

Moderator Emeritus

While it would be nice, Mi-hec, NOE or BABore can do a better job IMO.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Even if Lyman started making them again they wouldn't be the right dia's so we wouldn't buy them and they would say ''I told you so'' and would go back to ignoring us. Pat

Boolit Master

I agree with GLL. The quality of molds available from our current custom mold producers is so good these days, and who knows what the heck we'd get from lyman.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Now there is the point: QUALITY. Cherries not needed. look at the pictures, scale them, program the cnc machines, make them. Surely enough expertise exists to do that. That is essentially what happens when I put the dimensions in Mountain Mold's template.

BvT

Boolit Master

Corporate America only cares to please "most" of their customers. So we go elsewhere. Of course then they whine like crazy about 'losing market share', and they wonder where it went! But they learned in their Masters of Business Administration programs that that's what they're supposed to do, so therefore it must be right.

Go figure.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lyman has made a couple of special runs of discontinued molds in the last couple years. They are single cavity only but were nice molds. They were pre-ordered but I can't remember the man's name who set it up but there was a certain minimum wich was met easily. So you may very well get them to run a mold for you.
    Shooter, it's not that easy. Lou Sellman in Pittsburgh is a Lyman Distributor. Through him, I was the honcho for the Ideal 457192 (45-75) and 375166 (38-55) remakes from Lyman. Lou needed a minimum number before Lyman would start up the CAD machine and Lou had to buy that minimum number. In addition, he had to PAY Lyman $2700 for 3 cherries but Lou owns the cherries. Also, Lyman had to be supplied with the bullet schematics calculated on 1:20 alloy because they sold them off years ago. If Lou didn't know Mr DeAngelo @ Lyman we would still be wishing for these excellent molds that were made by Ideal ... and we wouldn't have gotten SQUAT from Lyman!

Let's put it this way ... one would have to be the mistress of Lyman's President before they would do any favors for casters. Further they can't because they have no old cherries or schematics to load into the CAD
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Why even bother with Lyman when someone like Accurate will make anything you want AND lathe bore instead of cherry cut them??? I can see the surface appeal to the idea, but if you follow the thought through to conclusion I think you'd see it's not really the best of ideas. Best of luck to you though.

I'm afraid that most manufacturers today are more interested in home runs than in base hits. I'm sure that there are more Ruger 10-22 designs out there waiting to be found, but it may be a while with so many players in the game. What companies don't seem to understand is that their markets go through life cycles, and that they can do the same thing every 10 years, or so, and it will sell well. The 'Ruger 250-3000's, Marlin 1894 CL's in 25-20,32-20, and 218 Bee are examples. The other thing they don't seem to see is that there is a bunch of money to be made serving markets that are more "nitch" in nature well. Good molds, etc. are examples there. IF it is done right, there is money to be made doing things right in less than huge quantities........... isn't that the whole idea behind CNC machining, and other new manufacturing methods?

Boolit Grand Master

Who cares?

With Miha and other custom makers we get the ACTUAL shape and diameter of the old
    Lyman designs in higher quality molds.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast