RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Remington Model 25, 25-20 barrel twist?

Remington Model 25, 25-20 barrel twist?

Hi everyone,
    I'm the proud new owner of a Remington Model 25, 25-20. It is in very good condition and has a very good bore. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the twist of the barrel is and if anyone has any pet loads for this rifle. I've seen many threads for the winchester rifle and am wondering if there are any Remington Model 25 shooters out there. I'm thrilled with the rifle, it has what I believe is a factory Lyman peep sight and I got a box of Remington 86gr factory ammo with it and put it on the paper briefly and had 3 shot groups from 1"-1.75" at 50 yards. The groups shrank as I shot, don't know if this is me getting used to shooting the rifle or smoothing up the bore, who knows when it was last fired.
    Anyway, thanks in advance,
    Trapper458

I have a Remington 25 and a Winchester 92, both in 25-20. The Winchester twist is 1-14 and I believe Remington is the same.

I use the same load in both rifles 2573129/4227. This is a 85-90 grain (depending on alloy) gas check bullet. The powder charge is moderate and far from top end. This load has plenty of power for anything that should be short with the 25-20. I prefer an Linotype alloy and it fills out these small cavity molds very well.

Ranch Dog has a bullet design for the 25-20 and looks to be a good one. The above Lyman number is long out of print, although NEI offers a clone.

It has been a very long time, since I have shot these rifles on paper, but IIRC the Winchester delivered 2 MOA groups and the Remington 2.5 MOA. Either are plenty accurate for shooting small game out to 100 yards or so. Both of my rifles wear receiver peep sight.

As you can tell, I like the 25-20. I got my first one about 1961 and have not been without one ever since.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    I have a model 25 takedown and mould #257283 plain base. So far my best load is 5.8 grains of 2400.

Ever tried the 25720?

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on the Rem 25, wonderful little rifles. While I plink away with the 85 grain bullet with 4 grains of Unique, my 25-20 rifles really prefer the 257420 at around 65 grains, loads are....
    9.92 grains H4227 1735 fps
    7.16 grains Alcan AL-8 1684 fps
    12.1 grains AA1680 no velocity available. John
    The odd powder charges are because of the fixed rotor size of the old Pacific powder measure that I am using. I weigh 10 charges in one scale pan and move the decimal point over one..

Hey All,
    I just found a copy of the owners manual for the Remington Model 25 and on page 66 it details the rifle with a 20-inch twist. Perhaps this will shoot the lighter bullets better?
    Regards,
    Trapper

Sure that wasn't for the Model 25 in .32-20 Trapper?? The Remington Model 25 was chambered in .32-20 as well and that was the common twist for the .32-20 back then.

Eutectic

Boolit Grand Master
    1-14" is the most common twist rate in the 25-20 WCF.

I just recently tried out Chargar's recommended loading of 9.0 grains IMR-4227 under Lyman #257312. 1-1/2" to 2" five-shotters at 100 yards in my late-series Marlin 94CL. That is bumping up against my eyesight limits with aperture irons at that distance. My range has life-size iron coyote silhouettes at 100/200/300 yards, and once the dope was dialed in I rang the 200 yard iron critter 10 for 10. Holding where I would on a real critter--the silvery hits on black paint were all inside 5", and K-shots for certain. I was pretty jazzed at those results, and MANY THANKS to Chargar for sending that data along. This has been the best work ever turned in by #257312 in this rifle.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Eutectic View Post
    Sure that wasn't for the Model 25 in .32-20 Trapper?? The Remington Model 25 was chambered in .32-20 as well and that was the common twist for the .32-20 back then.

Eutectic

Thanks Eutectic,
    I looked closer and it doesn't specify, but it says on the same page the rifle is chambered for both the 25-20 Winchester and 32 Winchester. I figured I would just measure the twist for myself and with a patched cleaning rod, a bit of tape and a Sharpie I determined the twist is 1:14". Don't know why I didn't just do that in the first place! Now I know....
    Regards,
    Trapper

9.3 ... Thanks for the kudos, but I would like to give credit where credit is due. Back in the mid-60s John Wooters wrote an articled entitled "Eulogy for a Cartridge", which chronicled his experience with the 25-20 in a Winchester 92 carbine.

After much playing with powders, charges and bullets he settled on 9/4227/257312. I learned from his mistakes and lifted the load from the pages. It worked for me from the start and I have never tried any other.

I am one of those folks, who don't enjoy fiddling endlessly with loads. When I find one, that delivers all the rifle has to give, I quit and go shooting.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Can you make a copy of the explded parts diagram

I also have a rem 25. I would live to shoot it but I am having problems with it cycleing. If you could make a scan of the exploded parts diagram it might help.If not where did you get the owners manual?

thanks
    Bob

Remington Model 25 Parts

Quote Originally Posted by greenwart View Post
    I also have a rem 25. I would live to shoot it but I am having problems with it cycleing. If you could make a scan of the exploded parts diagram it might help.If not where did you get the owners manual?

thanks
    Bob
    Bob,

This is a copy from the manual that came in the box when the Model 25 was shipped new..

While it doesn't show parts 'exploded', it does show them all... with correct Remington names.

Eutectic

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Check out Gunbroker auction #235795539 "Buy Now" price. Talk about fantasy land!

Boolit Buddy
    Trapper,thats a good find,I rebarreled a Ruger #1 to 25-20.That caliber can be persnickety about what it wants to shoot.My best load was with 800x shotgun powder,a pain in the **** as it dosen't meter well from a measure but will it shoot.I just looked for my old load notebook can't find it, start with a modest charge and work up.25-20 will shoot cast as well as "J".Take a cleaning rod with a tight patch,start it in the bore,make a mark with a felt pen on top pull it upthrough the bore till the mark is on top again measure from that mark to the muzzle probibly be 14". Frank C.