Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the heck happened here???

Boolit Buddy

What the heck happened here???

I have reloaded these rounds maybe 5 times. haven annealed them twice carefully I might add. Today i was setting down to reload them again and this is what Zi find!!! Not Ihave to admit, the shots were all over the place two days ago when iwent to the range. I am real anal about my reloads. Was using H4895 at 44.5 gr. under a 169 gr. Hornaday A-Max. now two weeks ago this load shot 1.4 " at 200 yds, three days ago they were all over the place.
    These are all Winchester .30-06 cases bought new 5 shots ago..
    Can somebody help me out here. I'm afraid to reload them again ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-06-13 13.03.15.jpg   2011-06-13 13.03.40.jpg  
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master

Talking

It looks like they are on the soft side of being annealed and the shoulder was pushed back more because of less spring-back.

At what stage of shooting/reloading are these?

How many shots since last anneal?

Do you full length size?

if the one on the right is factory, the others have Very long necks.
    Did you use the correct sizing die?

Boolit Buddy
    If you look carefully at the pictures you can see a line at the case mouth. I trimmed all the shells about a thousandth shorter than that line. I spoke to Waksupi and he suggested that the necks were also too long and that I may have had really high pressures. So I took his suggestion and trimmed the cases. I was worried if I could actually use them again as they were pretty deformed, but I figure they will probably fire form again after I shoot them. Nanuk, I think I was probably annealing too much and may have gotten the necks a bit soft. I reloaded about a dozen or so rounds and will see what happens at the range tomorrow...
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I was really surprised when I looked at the shells when they came out of the tumbler...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master

Talking

I posted above about the cases being on the soft side and the shoulders being push back during sizing. The soft shoulders possibly could not support the impact of the firing pin, and were driven into the chamber creating a gap between the bolt face and the head of the cartridge, and the case was being fire formed resulting it the rounded shoulder.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess that could be one of the reasons for my shots being all over the place as well, huh??
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Another thing, do not full length resize. Just size about 2/3 of the neck. You may also be pushing the shoulder back enough to be making headspace problems.

Looking at them, the cases don't show any signs of the annealing. I'm missing something here. How did you anneal them?

When you had first asked, I just focused on the obvious case mouth problem, but there is a lot of other stuff going on here.
    Last edited by waksupi; 06-13-2011 at 07:34 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, Normally I only neck size once they've been fired. ( in my rifle)..
    jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    I posted above about the cases being on the soft side and the shoulders being push back during sizing. The soft shoulders possibly could not support the impact of the firing pin, and were driven into the chamber creating a gap between the bolt face and the head of the cartridge, and the case was being fire formed resulting it the rounded shoulder.
    Doc I cant quite see how that would cause a rounded shoulder as the chamber should if anything shorten the shoulder flat as even if the pin drove the case forward there should be enough pressure to fireform back to propper shape although a slightly lengthened case neck with thinned web would most probably be the result.
    I have got a slightly rounded shoulder to sidewall when sizing 30-06 brass down to 7x57 but that straightens out on first firing.
    I cant offer an explatation but with respect, I cant get on boardd with this one.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master

Talking

Von Gruff, I am thinking the mark on the case mouth was from the end of the chamber and the brass being softer had a chance to grab the chamber wall stretching the case back towards the case head. This is possibly why they did not fill out all the way, the neck only was over annealed and not far down the shoulder. In post 4 he stated that the cases were trimmed about .001" shorter then the line around the case mouth.
    His load looks to be pretty much a max load of 4895, 44.5 grains with a 169 grain bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Doc,
    Hodgdon says the load for a .30-06 with a 168 gr. Hornady HPBT is 43.0 Gr. Min 2574Vel 41,200 CUP 47.5Max 2789Vel 50,000 CUP
    Now I realize I'm using an A-Max but is there that much of a difference between a 168 gr. hollow point and a 169 Gr. A-Max?????

Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Bub
    Maybe check the bolt for possible shift?

Doc, I am under the assumption that the deformed case is from the chamber after firing resulting in the mark on the mouth of the case

I have reloaded these rounds maybe 5 times. haven annealed them twice carefully I might add. Today i was setting down to reload them again and this is what Zi find

maybe I am looking at things differently but if the case was over length with the case mouth extending past the chamber mounth enough to see this mark,, it would increase pressure to the extent that the case would be fireformed fully to the chamber including the shoulder. The only way I can see this result is if there was a LIGHT powder charge rather than the heavier charge noted, unless the chamber is a little oversized in the neck area, which otherwise may have resulted in such over pressure load that rifle damage might have resulted.

Wildman Jack, have you reviewed your loading procedures as far as powder charging is concerned. How do you get your powder charge, weighed or thrown. and are you sure this was the actual charge. I see Lee lists 60000 psi with 47.5 gn H4895 for the 168gn bullet.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    Before I screwed with anything else, I would do a chamber cast. Let's see what the chamber looks like before we start changing everything in sight.

While I also suspect that the brass has been over-annealed and is too soft in the shoulder, let's eliminate other possibilities too. Jack, how did you anneal your brass? I personally use the Hornady gizmo with the heat-sink shell holders and the Tempilaq liquid. It's pretty much fool proof, even for such an experienced fool as I!

I'm not sure if that brass will fireform back to the original shape without head separations or not. I'd definitely check it with a bent paper clip before I tried.

One other thing - I normally fire brass 5-10 times before I anneal it, unless I'm experiencing other problems that indicate it's needed. Needing to anneal twice in 5 loadings indicates that something is amiss, IMHO.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Talking

Von Gruff, what I am thinking is the case closes to the mouth was over annealed and when fired between the force from the firing pin driving the whole cartridge case forward the softer neck was pulled at the same time into the lead of the barrel.

This would be like a black-powder case that was too soft with a heavily compressed powder charge.

His cases show varying degrees of shoulder sharpness and some thing has to account for this after five firings along with the greater case length.

Boolit Buddy
    When I load I use an RCBS Chargemaster and calibrate it before starting. Before loading a round, I neck size and de-prime, Tumble, clean the primer pockets. Then I us an "M" die to slightly expand the neck and re-prime. Immediately after expanding and re-primimg I drop the powder, and seat the bullet. Then I measure the OAL of the round to make sure that it is .002 off the rifling.
    When I anneal, I use an aluminum shell holder that goes into my drill. I darken the room and spin the drill as I put the shell mouth into the flame. As soon as I see even a hint of color I dump the round into a bucket and let it air cool.
    I'm really careful about how I load so that's why I was so surprised to see the condition of the shells yesterday.
    At this point I have trimmed all the shells as I said earlier, and reloaded them. I'm going to do my best to go to the range today and see what happens..
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WildmanJack View Post
    Doc,
    Hodgdon says the load for a .30-06 with a 168 gr. Hornady HPBT is 43.0 Gr. Min 2574Vel 41,200 CUP 47.5Max 2789Vel 50,000 CUP
    Now I realize I'm using an A-Max but is there that much of a difference between a 168 gr. hollow point and a 169 Gr. A-Max?????

Jack
    Yes, two different bullet styles. The HP is probably a tangential curve, the A-max uses a secant curve.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Buddy
    Well I went to the range today. It was probably 95 degrees!! Wind was quartering from my left shoulder at 10 gusting to 14. The old Savage shot like she was supposed to only BETTER. Between shortening the necks and changing to RL22 really tightened up my groups. Thanks to everyone that has contributed some kind of fix. You guys are an amazing wealth of knowledge...
    Here's to the best website on the web, and the best brother shooters...
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    How do your cases look today?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    They look like they should look, no more rounded corners, hard to tell the difference between them and new rounds.. Thanks a billion man. U were a huge help.. I owe u one..
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast