Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger 44 Carbine

Boolit Master

Ruger 44 Carbine

Who is shooting cast out of this one? Wondering about the gas port and clogging, etc. What do you know? Thanks
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    I am picking up the gun Tomorrow, its one that I have wanted for a loooong time. Is anyone shooting boolits in theirs?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I use the lever gun version. All the versions have 20 twist now, provided they were made after 2000. No problem with accuracy at both min and max loadings. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I've used cast in my 44 carbine for many years with excellent accuracy and no problems at all. I use the RCBS 44-240-SWC cast from linotype - just because I have lots of linotype on hand. They're sized .430 lubed w/ LBT blue and gas checked. Accuracy is actually better than jacketed and I have zero leading or gas port issues.
    Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
    I've used cast in my 44 carbine for many years with excellent accuracy and no problems at all. I use the RCBS 44-240-SWC cast from linotype - just because I have lots of linotype on hand. They're sized .430 lubed w/ LBT blue and gas checked. Accuracy is actually better than jacketed and I have zero leading or gas port issues.
    Uncle R.
    Unc, The soft or hard LBT blue? No problems at all with the gas system? Do you have a maintenance schedule? Anyway, boolits or bullets its gonna be a keeper! Have you run anything heavier through the gun? What load are you using with the RCBS boolit? What is the twist of the old guns? I believe mine is mid sixties thereabouts. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Don't know the twist - never actually checked. The gun has a plastic butt plate if that tells you anything about the vintage...
    <
    The load is 23.5 of 296 - I think with a WLP but I'll have to check my notes for primer type when I get home. A moderate roll crimp. Blue is regular old fashioned "original" blue - not the soft stuff. I usually heat the lubrisizer a bit when I'm using it but I probably wouldn't have to in the summer.
    Absobloodylutely no leading and no problems with the gas system. I usually clean the barrel from the muzzle with a few passes of #9 on a patch and a brass guide. I haven't had the gas piston out in ages. I used to worry about cleaning it but it's proven to be a waste of time. I DO have to clean the action fairly often though - when the bolt and receiver load up with even a little crud reliability goes downhill quickly. I have this problem with either jacketed or cast at equal levels. I've never used anything heavier than the RCBS cast or 240 gr jacketed.
    Good luck - I think you'll like it. Mine's a fun little gun to mess with on the range and a surprisingly effective tool when I'm participating in a deer drive in the brush.
    Uncle R.

Twist is around 36 in the older guns. 265 grainers would be about max, consistently. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I may be wrong, but IIRC, the Ruger .44 mag I had in the late 60s had a 1:38 twist.

Correct! ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. I plan on using it as a scabbard gun for house mice and such . I am hoping it shoots 265 grain boolits. Believe I got a steal at $339 OTD. It ain't perfect, but then neither am I! I actually passed on a K Swiss for $150, real nice shape, with a nice peep sight! I did not think I would be kicking myself so hard for doing that...but is gone, at least I got this one! Thanks again for the help and encouragement. It will be a good woods rife.