Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lube/sizing Bevel Base Cast Bullets

Super Moderator

..............Two problems with a recessed ejector pin. One is that it doesn't end ALL lube there at the BB, just most of it. In order to be practical the outter circumfrance of the lip has to have a bit of a flat on top as a true knife edge would be fragile and could eventually be ruined by catching on the lube holes. Second problem is that now THAT ejector pin is ruined for regular FB slugs.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    Buckshot, if you are manufacturing those, please let me know how I can purchase one. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I modified the ejector rod in my .401 sizing die to fit the bevel of my cast bullets in 40 caliber. It ended the lube deposit on the base of the bullet. While I had the rod in the lathe I turned .125" off the other end of the rod. This prevents the bullet from sitting so high in the die on the up stroke and helps center the bullet to the nose punch. I can now size bullets much faster because I don't have to finger fuddle the bullet and nose punch alignment.

Nighthunter

Boolit Mold
    Nighthunter, are you willing to modify the one one I have?

Boolit Master
    Elby, It would probably be faster and cheaper to find a person local to you that has a lathe and is willing to do it for you. It is a very easy 3 minute job to do it. If you can't locate someone send me a PM and we'll get it done.

Nighthunter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
    Here is my take. I asked the same question, got the same answers above. What I ended up doing was buying an RCBS lube die that has one row of 4 holes. I adjusted my sizer so those holes line up with the lube groove, then I tossed the ratchet handle and got a 1/4" wrench. I push the boolit down, turn wrench, release pressure, and pull it back out. there is never a point where the bevel base is exposed to the lube under pressure and it solved my problems. Life is now happy.
    I have been a member on this board for 6 years, and the shooters board before that.

This has to rate as one of the top 5 ideas I have picked up here.

Thanks thehouseproduct
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy
    I found this thread when trying to figure out why I was having problems lubing my Lee 452-200 SWC bullets. When I ran them thru my Lyman 450 the bottom was covered in more lube than was in the groove. I tried several suggestions from backing off the screw before removing the bullet to cutting out cardboard gaskets and nothing was quite doing the trick.

I finally combined several suggestions and shot a video that shows what finally worked for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kElGHsgePU
    I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

Visit my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigRix?feature=mhee

Boolit Mold
    you the man bigrix works great fought this problem for years thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12