Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: star base drawing / hole placement ?

Smile star base drawing / hole placement ?

Does anyone have the dimensions/ hole placement for a star sizer base that they would like to share ?

Blazer, Do you have a Star Lubrisizer?
    Art
    "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting." Col. Townsend Whelen

I have one if you can wait until 4 / 4:30 ish Denver time, if no one else comes thru. It's an original San Diego model.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by STAR4ever View Post
    Blazer, Do you have a Star Lubrisizer?
    Not yet but soon ! I just finnished building my base for it at work and I need to know the bolt size and location so I can bore the hole for my lyman heater in the 1" thick alum base plate ! And drill and tap the actual mount holes . It will be a Magma model if that makes any diff ?

I checked two old San Diego models and the hole locations are inconsistent. On one the rear hole is .080 left of the CL and on the other it's .120 left of center. Same with the front holes, up to .060 difference in the distance from edge of base to center of hole.....looks like they were just eye-balled.

Maybe Magma is more consistent, but unless you can get identical measurements from two different sizers I'd say you're S.O.L and have to wait till yours arrives to get your dimensions.

Sorry about your luck....

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Dang sorry dude forgot about this must have been brain freeze, that'll happen at -2 degrees.

I agree with KYCaster, my SD Model holes are not uniform. My single hole is off center by atleast half the hole.

Jim

Smile

Thanks for looking fella's , It will be a short spell before I can scrape together the required extra funds to get the star on it's way . But had to try ! And I know what you mean about cold ! It was -49 c here yesterday with the wind chill factored in !!!!! And that is Damn cold I don't care where you are !!!!!!

Yup, I have three and all are just slightly different in hole placement. So wait till yours arrives and get it right the first time. Tell us more about your mounting base? Will you be using lubes that need a heater?

On the weather front.... this AM (2-2-2011) we have icy rain falling and it is 32 degrees with about 2 feet of snow on the ground. Talk about Ugch... we got it in spades in New England.
    Ahh but it makes life interesting.
    Last edited by STAR4ever; 02-02-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    Art
    "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting." Col. Townsend Whelen

Smile

Thanks again for looking ! The base that I made is a left over crossmember from the frame of a Western star highway tractor . This is mouted with 4 bolts to a semi brake drum , And on the top end flange there is a 1" thick piece of plywood for a thermal break ! The sizer itself will be mounted on a 1" x 7"x 5" piece of alum with the heater element from my Lyman 4500 . Should work dandy ? I plan on using LAR C- Red . Exclusively !