WidenersLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rossi .44 Mag

It is made by Lee,but designed by Ranch Dog.
    He puts alotta time and thought into them.
    Since most of his boolits are a tumble lube design, I aint tried any yet.
    But everyone who has, swears by them.

You can always run them through a lubricator as well. +1 on Ranch Dog's designs.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Anyone try the Lee 429-200-RF in their Rossi? If so, how accurate were they? I'm thinking light loads, but with the slow twist it might work.

Hoping to order a Rossi 20inch 44mag in the next 2-3 weeks...
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

i cast some of those for my Rossi 92 44-40 but have not gotten around to shooting them yet.

Post how they work out, loads and all the good info.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Buddy
    My Rossi purchased in Sept 2011, has an oversize bore .433, had LBT make me a 280gr LFN mold that I can size to .434. I won't post the load here but it is a good healthy charge of H110
    Punishing on this 70yr old shoulder. Cresent butt plate does not help this. Kills whitetails with authority. Might be wise to slug the bore before buying supplies.

Have a 357 on layaway and am not buying anything for it till the bore diam. gets measured.

Have fun with your new toy.

I know that you'll like that rifle, Bob. I have the same one. All I've managed is factory rounds, but I got some 200 and 240 gr. CBs from The bullet Barn to test. I also swapped out the stock rear sight for a Williams FP.

I may get a RD 265gr. mold down the road, but I'll try out some others first. I have a 310 Lee mold sitting here and I haven't made a single bullet yet. I got it cheap from ebay.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Quote Originally Posted by 303british.com View Post
    I know that you'll like that rifle, Bob. I have the same one. All I've managed is factory rounds, but I got some 200 and 240 gr. CBs from The bullet Barn to test. I also swapped out the stock rear sight for a Williams FP.

I may get a RD 265gr. mold down the road, but I'll try out some others first. I have a 310 Lee mold sitting here and I haven't made a single bullet yet. I got it cheap from ebay.
    I found the recoil brutal on the shoulder and had my 'smith install a recoil pad on the gun. It made shooting the gun a very pleasant experience. With the weather warning up here I plan to get out and do some work with the gun.

Take care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I forgot to mention that I slugged the barrel and measured it at .431. I'll do it again to confirm. The RD 432-265 is becoming more attractive. I just have to see what diameter bullets the Lee die gives me with Lyman #2.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Boolit Man

Rossi .44 lee 200 gr rfn

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    Anyone try the Lee 429-200-RF in their Rossi? If so, how accurate were they? I'm thinking light loads, but with the slow twist it might work.

Hoping to order a Rossi 20inch 44mag in the next 2-3 weeks...
    I cast up a batch of these bullets for my new Rossi .44 Mag, and they have performed well as light loads. I was hoping to use the rifle and bullets for CAS, and I worked some loads down from 6 gr of Red Dot through 5.5 to 5.0 grain Red Dot. Velocity went from 1100+ down to 975 and some ragged holes at 50 yards for 10 shot groups.
    As for other bullets, my Rossi also feeds the Lyman 240 grain Keith without a problem, crimped in the normal crimp groove. 13 grains of 800-x gives me around 1600 fps.
    I forgot to slug my barrel, but loads shot well in any case, and no leading.

Here is a picture of the recoil pad installed on my gun. The recoil pad certainly takes the sting out of shooting. Turns a painful exercise into a pleasant day at the range.

Take Care

Bob

That looks like a good fit, Bob. Congratulations.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

L Ross
    I shoot a Rossi 44-40 carbine and have loaded the Lyman 429215 gc ahead of a bunch of 2400 and shot 3 deer with it. No recovered bullets, two were heart shot and the hearts were not salvageable to eat. One shot in the back of the neck and it exited through the mouth and I have never seen a deer drop more dramatically. Sized to .431" I believe, but have no proof that Rossi uses the same barrel on the 44-40 and the 44 mag. .428" boolits key hole at 25 yds. 431" go into one big ragged hole.

Duke

Quote Originally Posted by 303british.com View Post
    That looks like a good fit, Bob. Congratulations.
    Thanks. I had my 'smith put a spacer in to lengthen the pull. The pad certainly tames teh recoil. It makes for pleasant shooting.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Man
    Shot a hog yesterday with a Lee 310 sized .430 & gc. pushed by 18gr AA#9 out of my new 16" Rossi. The shot took out both front shoulders like a cookie cutter. This is the load I plan on using for bear in june in Quebec. That load will shoot a ragged hole @ 50 yds, but probably drops 3-4" at 100yds.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HBAR2989 View Post
    Shot a hog yesterday with a Lee 310 sized .430 & gc. pushed by 18gr AA#9 out of my new 16" Rossi. The shot took out both front shoulders like a cookie cutter. This is the load I plan on using for bear in june in Quebec. That load will shoot a ragged hole @ 50 yds, but probably drops 3-4" at 100yds.
    Excellent performance from a cheap rifle and a $20 mould! Love it!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Excellent performance from a cheap rifle and a $20 mould! Love it!

I guess a hog makes good test medium, never tried shooting a bear, tho. Still testing bullets and boolits, I guess. Good job! Sometimes mo' money doesn't mean mo' betta.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I don't know about your hogs over there, but here they have gristle on their shoulder pads and a shot that can punch straight through that should surely punch through a bair!

But then again, what would I know, I know squat about bairs, apart from the fact that you really don't need to pi$$ them off with an underpowered mouse gun because they is way nasty enough already! lol.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Mick the .44mag is ample for Black Bears. Grizzlies, well the .44mag will work and certainly better than a stick but I wouldn't go hunting Grizzlies with only the .44mag. Good round though for self defense in the wild at short range.

Take Care

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Mick the .44mag is ample for Black Bears. Grizzlies, well the .44mag will work and certainly better than a stick but I wouldn't go hunting Grizzlies with only the .44mag. Good round though for self defense in the wild at short range.

Take Care

Bob
    I think if I was in an area where there were grizzlies about, my handgun would be my 45 Blackhawk convertible (4 3/4" BBl, Imitation Pearl grips (makes all the difference, lol) with the 45Colt cylinder and a 300Gn Boolit, loaded for bair, as they say. If I went afield I would be carrying my 444 or 3006 as a minimum. If I actually went afield to hunt grizzlies, I would be properly armed up with the 45 handgun and my 338WM or 375H&H or possibly even my 416Rigby.

As to a lever gun, I don't currently have a 45/70 apart from a Trapdoor, but I think I'd draw the line at taking the 444, I'd be a lot more comfortable with a shoulder pulverising load out of a 45/70 or 450 Marlin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast