Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Hello All-New member here! I figure this a good place and need some tips on BP 12ga

Boolit Mold

Thumbs up Hello All-New member here! I figure this a good place and need some tips on BP 12ga

Hi everyone, just joined, have been poking around a bit what with my new hobby or 'want to do,get,shoot.....'

I need some pointers,links,info help..

Basically I am in need of-

Info on what the cylinder/chamber ID should be for shooting cast or store bought 12Ga slugs in a BP..

Info on what size or type of Perc Cap Nipple i would need to fire off above round(dont know if above XX BP charge you need XXX cap).

WHERE can I find info on the types of metal,RC hardness,etc used in BP pistols,Barrels,etc...seems like this is gold dust even on the web..

Finally---anyone have any links,leads,etc on antone having any of the BIG BORE antique revolvers like Mr. Ralph Huffakers?

Thank you and happy to be a member...more pokers in the project fire!!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I suggest you read the sticky section first.
    I then think you should do a search on this forum for your different questions.
    By the formation of your questions I myself are not clear on what you need.
    When becoming a new member of any forum you will gain more respect and help if you do some of the work yourself instead of asking broad questions with your first post.
    Buy the book by Lyman called Cast Bullet Handbook if you are interested in casting. You did not make that clear with your post as it was about loading and not casting.
    In the sticky section are plenty of postings that cover the basics. We also have a muzzle loading section when you decide if your are going to cast or buy your slugs.
    If you are going to cast then welcome to the forum.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledReaper View Post
    Hi everyone, just joined, have been poking around a bit what with my new hobby or 'want to do,get,shoot.....'

I need some pointers,links,info help..

Basically I am in need of-

Info on what the cylinder/chamber ID should be for shooting cast or store bought 12Ga slugs in a BP..
    In a BP...what?
    There would be a 'chamber' in any kind of cartridge gun, but only revolvers have 'cylinders'.

As for the ID of the cylinder/chamber (whichever you actually mean) here is a listing of dimensions for common shotshell cartridges. http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html
    Info on what size or type of Perc Cap Nipple i would need to fire off above round(dont know if above XX BP charge you need XXX cap).
    The 'standard' percussion cap, sitting on a 'standard' nipple, should ignite any black powder charge you are likely to put in a 12 gauge gun. But, if you are talking about caps and nipples, you have moved away from cartridge guns...and into the realm of muzzleloaders.
    WHERE can I find info on the types of metal,RC hardness,etc used in BP pistols,Barrels,etc...seems like this is gold dust even on the web..
    I can't help you immediately with that, it would take some research. But, if you are thinking of building a 12 gauge muzzleloader, barrels are available from quite a variety of sources.
    Finally---anyone have any links,leads,etc on antone having any of the BIG BORE antique revolvers like Mr. Ralph Huffakers?
    Back to revolvers, huh?
    Ralph Huffaker is apparently a member of the 'handgunsandammo' site. Here is a link to his profile, over there...
    http://handgunsandammo.proboards.com...&user=huffaker

Perhaps, if you joined up with that group, you could get direct access to Huffaker and information about his guns. Then, if you need advice about casting slugs for a 12 gauge black powder percussion revolver, we can help with that.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 01-28-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Mold
    ok....sorry apparently got off on the wrong foot.....let see if I can do better.....

Cajun Shooter-
    1- I am a member of a number of boards and have done some researching here but have not found what I was looking for...hence some of the questions.
    2-I would like to thank you for the lead on the Lyman Bullet casting book..so i guess the additional searching I will try will help me determining which way I will go...

Montana Charlie-
    1-I apologise for being vague,basically I did not want to come off sounding like a loon BUT I am considering building up or have built up for myself, basically a 12Ga BP CP Revolver to duplicate the 'Samaritan" revolver used in 'Hellboy'.I JUST discovered this is basically the Gilon Liege Revolver in .577/.600 that I saw posted HERE.

2-I have had sent to me some sample 12 Ga cast slugs which basically look like huge air rifle pellets-flat nose,')(' shape as well as some basic round balls. I guess i will try more research to find out what the bore would/should be s the projectile OD should be.Hopefully i can find some info that will also tell me wad kind of wad or patch.

3-Regarding the percussion caps-sorry, I just dont seem to find the info that states what size to use.I figure there is a 'line' kind of like 'small pistol primer/large pistol primer' ,etc. I will look some more.

4-Regarding the material needed I just thought someone may say 'go to BP project part of the forum, etc.' and look at 'projects' or 'links'---there are a LOT of stickies on here.

5-Thank you for the tip on Mr Huffaker,thought he was a member here because of his post where he states he casts his own bullets for the large revolvers.

So sorry if we got off on the wrong foot and what I was TRYING to avoid was any 'legal eagle-ing or badgering' because seems like everyone turns into a 'legal firearm expert' whenever i mention 'I want to build this', I 'was looking into this project', 'I am rewelding this part kit'....and it gets me a bit 'agitated'..

So hopefully things will get better here on out....thank's

In Remembrance
    You should be able to find out what size slug you will need by searching for the threads on slugging a barell. On the percussion cap size it will depend on which nipple you use, There are three popular sizes, but maybe more. We have a muzzle loading forum that should be able to help with that.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledReaper View Post
    Montana Charlie-
    1-I apologise for being vague,basically I did not want to come off sounding like a loon BUT I am considering building up or have built up for myself, basically a 12Ga BP CP Revolver to duplicate the 'Samaritan" revolver used in 'Hellboy'.I JUST discovered this is basically the Gilon Liege Revolver in .577/.600 that I saw posted HERE.
    Using 'Gilon Liege' as a search string, I found Mr. Huffaker's post on that subject.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...3&postcount=28

2-I have had sent to me some sample 12 Ga cast slugs which basically look like huge air rifle pellets-flat nose,')(' shape as well as some basic round balls. I guess i will try more research to find out what the bore would/should be s the projectile OD should be.Hopefully i can find some info that will also tell me wad kind of wad or patch.
    The pellet-shaped slug is probably supposed to be enclosed in a sabot.
    The link to 'dimensions' I gave you says a 12 gauge bore is .729". I expect that the OD of the sabot (or any full-diameter slug) would be within a few thousandths of that.
    Shotgun wads are pretty common fodder, with cork, felt, fiber, cardboard, and various plastics being readily available where shotgun reloading supplies are sold.

3-Regarding the percussion caps-sorry, I just dont seem to find the info that states what size to use.I figure there is a 'line' kind of like 'small pistol primer/large pistol primer' ,etc. I will look some more.
    To the best of my knowledge, Number 10 and Number 11 are the generally used percussion caps, and nipples would be sized to accept them. I think Number 11 is a bit more common in use...and will be found igniting charges in pistols, rifles, and shotguns.

4-Regarding the material needed I just thought someone may say 'go to BP project part of the forum, etc.' and look at 'projects' or 'links'---there are a LOT of stickies on here.
    While we have forums devoted to several different aspects of shooting, we are mainly focused on casting bullets. The other forum sections are primarily areas where the bullet casting gets more specialized.
    We are not, as a general thing, in to building the guns we load for.

5-Thank you for the tip on Mr Huffaker,thought he was a member here because of his post where he states he casts his own bullets for the large revolvers.
    I did not know he was a member here.

If you go to the post I linked (above) and click on his username, you are presented with a number of options. One of those is an opportunity to send him a Private Message.

So sorry if we got off on the wrong foot and what I was TRYING to avoid was any 'legal eagle-ing or badgering' because seems like everyone turns into a 'legal firearm expert' whenever i mention 'I want to build this', I 'was looking into this project', 'I am rewelding this part kit'....and it gets me a bit 'agitated'..

So hopefully things will get better here on out....thank's
    You can get more advice that you want on legal questions, and safety issues, if you don't word your questions carefully. If you start hearing more of that than you want to know, it's probably best to just not respond...and let your 'advisor' run out of steam.

Good luck with your project...I think.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.