MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From wheel weights to ingot??

Boolit Grand Master

Use a wire strainer to pull the clips and trash off and you'll find it a lot easier to flux...

Boolit Mold
    I haven't been able to cast recently - been busy with school.

As for the zinc comment, I look for any WW that have 'Zn' stamped on them - this means that the WW is made from zinc, and I don't put those in my smelting pot.

So far, I've only come across one Zn WW, so all's well right now. I keep an eye out just in case, and when I melt my next batch of WW, i'll make sure I keep the temp a bit lower than what it was so I avoid the gold/blue/purple hueing effect.

I use a SS spoon with slots in it to scoop everything out, and thats been working for me. I flux with paraffin wax, as others have said it works well. I might be able to smelt a bit tomorrow, but I don't know right now.

Thanks a bunch for the help so far though!

Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    I haven't been able to cast recently - been busy with school.

As for the zinc comment, I look for any WW that have 'Zn' stamped on them - this means that the WW is made from zinc, and I don't put those in my smelting pot.

So far, I've only come across one Zn WW, so all's well right now. I keep an eye out just in case, and when I melt my next batch of WW, i'll make sure I keep the temp a bit lower than what it was so I avoid the gold/blue/purple hueing effect.

I use a SS spoon with slots in it to scoop everything out, and thats been working for me. I flux with paraffin wax, as others have said it works well. I might be able to smelt a bit tomorrow, but I don't know right now.

Thanks a bunch for the help so far though!
    Just keep an eye on your melt, because I came across several zinc WW's the other day that didn't have Zn on them. They were grey painted and looked like any other painted lead WW. They felt different when I was sorting and when I put the cutters to them: rock hard and "tinked" when I smacked them on my vise. Not to worry tho, because as long as you watch your WW's when they go molten, you'll see the zinc floating on top...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master
    elixin77 where in the eastern nc are you?

I've been sorting since I started casting and there are some new styles/manufacturers out there. I had one pot this past week with 4 zinc ww with no Zn and not a cast I recognize. None were the same.

Boolit Buddy
    Well maybe its just my fear since ive melted zinc into lead before. Aint like its that hard to mess up a batch of lead your 1st time melting wws. There isnt really alot to skim off when your unknown temp is actually 800 degrees. Well except the steel. Im just sayin it takes out the guess work for a 1st timer. Thermometers arent the enemy. Whichever way you feel comfortable oneone is the way you should do it.

L. Bottoms
    Last edited by leadbutt; 02-06-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I found lots of zinc stick on weights when I sorted them last time.
    The clip on are mostly lead and iron (Fe). Only 2 zinc in 7 gal.
    I sure wish there was a market for valve stems, cores, and caps.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadbutt View Post
    There isnt really alot to skim off when your unknown temp is actually 800 degrees.
    The point is the pot doesn't go from 500 to 800 degrees in a minute or even 5 minutes. If you're going to be standing over it to read the thermometer, you'll be there to note when 90% of the melt is liquid. Then turn down the heat, give it a stir, skim off the steel and zinc, flux, skim the dross and pour.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    elixin77 where in the eastern nc are you?

I've been sorting since I started casting and there are some new styles/manufacturers out there. I had one pot this past week with 4 zinc ww with no Zn and not a cast I recognize. None were the same.
    Pitt county.

I've only seen one that was stamped 'Zn', but I have scooped out whole WWs from my first cast. I took those out when everything else was melting down, so figured they weren't lead. I didn't get a chance to inspect them, for somewhat obvious reasons, but I do keep an eye on my pot when I'm melting stuff down, so I don't ruin my batch. And I only put a handful of WW in at a time - since I'm new to casting, it helps me figure out what to do, without too much of a loss if I do mess up

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with using a thermometer. I started with one. I use it less and less. I still keep it handy since I don't know everything.