RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biggest, Heaviest Boolit for the .30-06

Boolit Master
    The 240 grain semi spitzer is 1.428 long and shoots well. It also kills very well even from a 30/06. The cast bullet is 1.335 so the bullet will be stable at the velocity I want to attain. A case full of WC 860 should be a good load and more accurate than the 311284 as lots less bullet is below the case neck. The .875 of bullet sticking out of the case neck is about the same as M2 ball.

Boolit Grand Master
    405 :

Can you " De-Code " the following for all of us :

Ben, gotta love those "waste of paper" targets. The only mystery is why no follow up discussion about that fine hole hole group? erhaa.... maybe I know the answer.

Boolit Master

Ben,
    I'd guess those fine groups were ignored for two reasons- Bullet wasn't heavy enough nor the load fast enough. If they weren't near 250 grains traveling at 2600 fps they didn't "qualify". All about mo-powr. Accuracy gets little notice. Little bitty one hole groups in such a large pice of paper still seems like waste of paper to me

Boolit Grand Master
    OK.....makes sense now...............

Thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I have a 311290 with lube and g/c that goes 222 grs. A fine bullet.

Ben

Your Picture is getting me excited. I ordered a Mcgowen 308 win barrel for my Savage F-Class yesterday. It's intended as a cast only barrel. Hope I can get groups like yours out of it. It is a pure tack driver with the Mcgowen 6BR barrel. 6mm J bullets are too expensive to punch paper with my current budget. It was fun but back to cast.

Testing all of my 30 cal boolits with the new setup should keep me busy for the rest of the winter and all summer!

Well, I just got around to seeing it (your target) for the first time and am very impressed, especially since it came from a Ruger. Have you had similar success with an '06 at 1800-2000 fps?... with any boolit?

MJ

IME for most 30-06 cast boolit loads 220gr. boolit weight with a fairly blunt nose is the safe maximum weight that one can be almost completely sure will stabilize and fly nice and straight in most common barrels with conventional twist rates. Try to go heavier then that or get a pointy spitzer like nose and it becomes a might work or might not work you have to try and see situation.

For that reason my next custom mold I buy for my 30 calibers (non-fat) is going to be a custom 220gr. (maximizing the weight while maintaining fairly universal application) from Accurate Molds that is basically a second generation of the hybrid designs I have been working with using both convention and tumble lube grooves with the lower TL grooves set up to double as crimp grooves and the upper TL grooves set up to function as REAL (Rifling Engraved At Loading) micro bands like a whole bunch of NEI style DD rings. Here is how it looks so far on the drawing board:

Last edited by turbo1889; 02-11-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    turbo1889,
    Your design is SHORT for its weight, and should work fine, and LLA may be adequate. My favorite 30cal at this point is the Saeco #301, and its a single lube groove type.

Yah, as I said stubby shaped nose allows for more weight. Currently my best mold in this size is an old 311299 that someone modified with a drill bit and extended the bore riding nose and made it longer with a drill bit tip shaped nose. It drops right about 225 grains with WW plus a dash of tin. The resulting nose shape causes feeding problems though.

Not just LLA for lube on my hybrid designs. Conventionally lubed and sized with a lubra-sizer to put lube in the conventional lube grooves on the base, then the nose gets dipped in tumble lube mix (I use 3/1 ratio JPW/X-lox) after it has been loaded in the cartridge. That way I don't get my boolit seating die all goobered up either.

I shoot a '52, Rem 721 in '06. It took me over 10 years to find a good boolit load for the old girl, but I finally did.
    Lee 200, (actual wt, 220) over 13.9gr of SR 7625, seated .250" into the riflings. It zeros at 100yd, but is very consistent to 450. Kentucky elevation req'd.... My rifle does not like anything lighter for a bullet. 1/10 twist bbl. No chrono, velocity unknown.
    If it doesn't fit, DON'T force it! Get a bigger HAMMER.

Sorry! My alloy is ww, +2% tin, sized .310", homemade lube.
    If it doesn't fit, DON'T force it! Get a bigger HAMMER.

Boolit Mold

My old Howa .30-'06 seems to like the Lyman 311284. Nominal 220gr, turns about 217 with my 92/2/6 alloy. Chrono' shows 1850 over 27gr IMR 4227, 2300 over 42.5gr IMR 3031, and 2490 over 56gr IMR IMR 4831. All hit "minute of critter" to my satisfaction at Texas brush country yardage. The barrel is Ultra_Coat finished.

Reading this thread may be the dynamite I need under me to get out and fire for group ... bin sittin' on the ol' duff all winter!
    Geezer, veteran, mostly retired, mostly libertarian, Magma Engineering fan ... hey, y'all come eat some BBQ...

311284 and some similar custom molds are about the best it gets for heavy bullets in the '06. The problem is generally the rifle's throat more than the length of the mag. Even with the 311284 one must often manage the bullet nose diameter to avoid having to seat the bullet deeper in the case. The longer bullets are more finicky with the support they get from the barrel as they travel and they are more likely to get out of shape if everything is not right. I love the 284 but it is a fussy bullet compared to others.

Boolit Grand Master
    turbo1889 :

Do you plan to produce the mold without a g/c shank as seen in your illustration ? If so, is there a reason for the lack of a g/c shank ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Well, I just got around to seeing it (your target) for the first time and am very impressed, especially since it came from a Ruger. Have you had similar success with an '06 at 1800-2000 fps?... with any boolit?

MJ

No , not that tight at 2,000 fps. , but close to it, plenty tight enough to hunt with the load........................

1,800 and less .....YES !
    Last edited by Ben; 02-22-2011 at 09:48 AM.

1,800 and less .....YES !
    I'm pretty sure I was driving my 225 grainers to nearly 1800fps in my 303 Brit with an accuracy no worse than the shake caused by my heartbeat (bad rest). Can't see a problem with that kind of velocity and recoil is a mere shove. Never did pursue that load. It didn't fit the mag.

Ben's group is something to take note of!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I currently use a 314299 sized to fit with 4895 for propellant. But i am in for the 311365 grp buy they should run about 200-210 gr. What is the rate of twist for your barrell and bore diam. that should be the determining factor for bullet selection. There are far more savvy posters on here but that is what I look at before selecting a boolit. Bigger is not always more accurate.
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    turbo1889 :

Do you plan to produce the mold without a g/c shank as seen in your illustration ? If so, is there a reason for the lack of a g/c shank ?

I plan to order a double cavity mold with one cavity being a PB and the other cavity being a GC with the GC shank reducing the length of the base band so both boolits are the same length.

I have had excellent results with PB boolits in rifles. In fact, in many cases I see more need for a GC for handgun boolits. The larger case capacity and longer barrels of most rifles allows the use of large charges of slow burning powders usually with both an ignition booster charge and a granular buffer filler.

I've been doing a lot of work with several 7.62x54R and 303-brit. guns with a 0.315" diameter 180 grain plain base boolit constructed along the same lines. I'm using a couple grains of R-7 in the bottom of the case directly over the primer as an ignition booster followed by an almost full case of military surplus 50-BMG ball powder (extremely slow burning) and then topping that off with about 0.3cc of COW under the plain base boolit the whole thing being a compressed load and its shooting as good as I can hold out to 100 yards with iron sights and one of the 7.62x54R guns has an original WWII era Soviet sniper scope mounted on top of it and I've been shooting out to the 300 yard line with it.

Boolit Master
    turbo, that boolit looks very similar to Loverin's 311407 when ran into a co-axial die. I did some a while back but, haven't shot them yet.

Ben, a tip of the hat to you sir, that's some fine shooting! I suppose the GC was far below the shoulder in a .308?
    JDL

Boolit Mold
    A little note of caution before you go running off and spending good money on a long-bullet mold.
    I have a host of 1903's and an old Eddystone Enfield (all 30-06), as well as a 30-40...all of which use the Lyman 311284 (mine cast out to 215 grains).
    With the bullet seated as far down in the neck as I can get it, without the gascheck going below the base of the neck (which ruins accuracy), all the 3 guns barely allow the nose of the bullet in the chamber and all have rifling engraved on the bullet nose when chambered. In other words, any more length to the bullet, and the chambering will seat the bullet further into the case, thus destroying accuracy. I doubt the target, the deer, or the shooter will notice the difference between a 215 grainer and a 247 grainer.

Best wishes,

rooster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12