Reloading EverythingPBcastcoTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Here is the write-up "My homemade black powder"

Boolit Master

KNO3 isn't flammable at all... it just makes about anything ELSE very combustable. I would surely avoid trying to vacumn it up with a dust buster!

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    KNO3 isn't flammable at all... it just makes about anything ELSE very combustable. I would surely avoid trying to vacumn it up with a dust buster!
    Thanks
    Sort of like oxygen.
    Wont burn but look out if it get to a fire.
    Maybe I will snort it,,,,
    Snorting oxygen is good,,, right?

I got the powder milled, now I just need to finish a couple of other projects then mix and press the pucks.
    I made a puck pressing mold and am modifying a hydraulic press, I made years ago, for putting on cable clevis's to press them with.
    The next batch, I am going to do without making the pucks.

Being 70 sucks.
    I have time and money but if I work/play for very long, my back starts hurting right away.

Boolit Buddy
    Let's assume for a moment that SHTF. Alcohol is not readily available. Refrigeration for making ice is non existent.

How does this change the procedure?

Would it be enough to leave the mixture in the sun to evaporate the water?
    7.62NATO - because shooting something twice with 5.56NATO is just plain silly.

Boolit Master

Longwood, I'll be 70 in September, recently retired and looking for new ways to play, making my own BP being one of them with sidelines back into amatuer rocketry and pyrotechnics. In the process of getting my Federal and state pyro shooters license, already have the C&R. Also thing of getting a CDL with haz mat endorsement so I can drive the pyro truck. Too many hobbies, too little time & money!

Boolit Master
    i might be speaking in gnorance but i believe its against the law to create your own gun powder like this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by odfairfaxsub View Post
    i might be speaking in gnorance but i believe its against the law to create your own gun powder like this.
    All depends on local laws, no federal laws prohibiting manufacturer. Storage is another matter though, requires a federally approved magazine.. don't you think that we might have considers such in advance? And if you aren't positive, it is usually better not to speak.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    All depends on local laws, no federal laws prohibiting manufacturer. Storage is another matter though, requires a federally approved magazine.. don't you think that we might have considers such in advance? And if you aren't positive, it is usually better not to speak.

Sometimes it's worthwhile to ask the question though. Someone can generally help to clear up any misunderstanding about what is legal and not legal.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I made up a batch last night. I must have screwed up - it looks like it worked. I definitely have more than 50g (sulfur + charcoal) of powder, so the KNO3 did precipitate out of solution. I ended up using a single 400mL bottle of alcohol. It was a neat experience. Total time spent was just under 3 hours. Knowing what I know now about the process, I'm sure I can get it down to a little over an hour per batch. I have yet to compute a cost per lb number, but I know it less than $25 (that's what the local Bass Pro is selling it for).

It was super humid last night, and today isn't supposed to be any better. My product is on a pan in the shed (there's no chance in hell that SWMBO will let me bring it into the house without it being in a safe container). Hopefully, it will warm up enough in there to throw off the remainder of the moisture.

I did test some this morning. My powder is still a bit damp, so it didn't want to light very easily. I took about 1 teaspoon of my stuff and mixed it with less than 1/4 teaspoon of GOEX 4F. Once the GOEX went, it took the rest of the pile with it. There is still some of my powder left unburned, but it is definitely less than what the pile started with.

What did I learn?
    1 - That $8 plastic cheese grinder isn't going to last too long for grinding up charcoal.

2 - Wear a dust mask when grinding charcoal. I was blowing black snot out of my nose all evening.

3 - It takes a lot more charcoal than I imagined it would to make 30g.

4 - Sift the charcoal and sulfur before combining them to get rid of large charcoal pieces and lumps of sulfur.

5 - Don't wait for the water to drain out of the coffee filter by gravity alone. It takes too long. Wrap a couple of filters around the main one and squeeze gently.

6 - Misquotes are a pain in the butt when working under the porch light after dark.

7 - When using bug spray, make sure the nozzle is pointed in the correct direction. That crap burns your eyes.

8 - 9th century chemistry is fun.
    7.62NATO - because shooting something twice with 5.56NATO is just plain silly.

AHhhhhhhh man

Now i have to buy a black powder rifle

good job
    Who ever appeals to the law against his fellow man is ether a fool or a coward.
    whoever can not take care of himself with out that law is both
    for a wounded man will say to his assailant if i die you are forgiven if i live i will kill you such is the rule of honor!!

Boolit Mold

Couple of questions

I want to try this out but I have a few questions:

1) I live in California and don't have willow for charcoal. I have lots of Ponderosa Pine and Oak firewood though. Are these good substitutes?

2) Is there a good charcoal to just buy instead of making it?

3) How does the load data compare to FFg or FFFg? I'm going to try it in a .50 CVA side lock gun.

I currently cast my own round balls and REAL bullets and I think it would be really cool to shoot my buck(s) this year with my own bullet and powder.

Longwood
    [QUOTE=Steve s.;1743198]I want to try this out but I have a few questions:

1) I live in California and don't have willow for charcoal. I have lots of Ponderosa Pine and Oak firewood though. Are these good substitutes?

If you want to gather Willow, in California, look in about any creek bed.

Hi Steve--if you can't find willow to make charcoal (or want to screw around with making it from scratch) I used to have good success with grinding up "Activated Charcoal" from any place that sells pet supplies. They use it for aquarium filters, and you can buy a pound of it for a few bucks.

The usually make activated charcoal from bamboo (a type of grass) and it grinds very well and makes a nice powder! At least that was my young-pyro experience with it.

What works great for the charcoal is an old coffee mill (I used my mom's--and she about killed me for it!). But under NO circumstances should you grind the ingredients together dry.

Hi Steve--if you can't find willow to make charcoal (or want to screw around with making it from scratch) I used to have good success with grinding up "Activated Charcoal" from any place that sells pet supplies. They use it for aquarium filters, and you can buy a pound of it for a few bucks.

The usually make activated charcoal from bamboo (a type of grass) and it grinds very well and makes a nice powder! At least that was my young-pyro experience with it.

What works great for the charcoal is an old coffee mill (I used my mom's--and she about killed me for it!). But under NO circumstances should you grind the ingredients together dry.

I forgot-- daschnoz --if there is some kind of SHTF scenario, I seem to remember the first Foxfire Book has an entire section on making black powder (and they even build a blackpowder rifle--lock, stock and barrel!).

Anyway, they described in detail leaching potassium nitrate from animal dung (the "nitrogen" in manure is mostly nitrates and nitrites), finding sulfur, and making charcoal.

If I remember there recipe right, the guy they interviewed didn't do the fancy precipitation with alcohol. Instead, he used stale urine to form a thick paste out of the ingredients and kneed them together. Then when it was kind of plastic, rub it through a window screen to size it into more or less ball shaped pieces.

Although (as a chemist) I really like how slick this preparation is. Thanks for this one.

Boolit Master

Depending on where you live in CA, grape vines can be used to make charcoal. Where I live the grape growers replace the vines about every 5-6 years. By then, the vines are about 6 inches thick. The growers place the vines in large piles beside the road and people pick from the pile to use in their BBQs. I remember reading somewhere that grape wood charcoal was used in the production of commercial fireworks.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

here is another source with very good prices for components

http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/cart/ind...x&cPath=72_119

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    here is another source with very good prices for components

http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/cart/ind...x&cPath=72_119
    I liked the Black Powder making link.

http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/Pyro/BP/...owder_101.html

Boolit Mold
    Hi folks. I'm the owner of the site referenced above and have been making Black Powder for a couple of days now. (grin) I understand the safety concerns that might lead you to consider making BP with water but I want to point out a couple of things.

Of the 3 ingredients, the KNO3 is the only one that's water soluble. When you add the water to your mix, the KNO3 goes into suspension and the sulfur and charcoal just sit on the bottom of your container. When you pour the liquid out, your throwing away a large part of your oxidizer. If you doubt this, stick a finger in the liquid and taste it. That salty taste comes from the nitrate. If you use stale urine, you might want to skip this and just take my word for it.

If you simply allow the water to evaporate, you'll see that the KNO3 has crystallized and you no longer have a homogenous mix. Your sulfur and charcoal will be pretty well mixed but the KNO3 will be sitting on top. The only solution is to figure out a way to remix the components and thus you're back to the beginning.

Grinding or milling the individual components as fine as possible and then mixing them is the only way to get good BP. running your mix through a very fine kitchen strainer several times is a good start. Those of us who "Paint the sky with glorious colors" throw everything in ball mills but that's a whole different story.

Making BP is not as safe as sitting in a lounge chair with a cold beverage but if done correctly, is less dangerous than casting "boolits".

Boolit Mold
    Netranger said

AHhhhhhhh man

Now i have to buy a black powder rifle

Isn't a 32 20 or a 38 40 etc a black powder rifle? How corrosive is this stuff? What is the proper procedure for cleaning a 50 year old gun after using it? How do you think it will effect a modern stainless steel gun? I know nothing about black powder, but I'm willing to learn. anybody shoot this stuff in old carbines? Love this site.

Boolit Grand Master

Well after searching in vain, for over a year, I found black willow growing right where it's supposed to be.
    In all the trips Ive made to the cemetery, I guess I had other things on my mind. Both my parents and a lot of my family are buried there. This time I was just following the creek/branches, with willow on my mind. The creek runs along the cemeteries future expansion edge.
    There among the usual over growth along a wet area, stood 4 black willows in plane view. I walked to them and broke off a couple branches, to bring home to compare with the pictures on line.
    Sure nuff its an exact match.
    Wouldn't ya know it, I made my great find on the 4th of July, when the city offices are closed? Well you can bet your last dollar, as soon as I drop the grand son, off at camp in the morning, I'll be dancing, in front of, the city office window, waiting for it to open. I have to find out for sure whose property its on, and get permission to harvest some.
    I can already smell the aroma of my home made black powder, fired from my Springfield Trapdoor.
    BTW Today was my Dads Birthday. ( 07/04/1911) Do ya think he's still helping me?
    Last edited by mold maker; 07-04-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast