Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: 30-30 winchester

Boolit Buddy

30-30 winchester

I have been using blc-2 powder in my Win 30-30 for some time now with good success to the point that it was all that I used. I developed the load long before I got a chroney and did not know how fast the 150gn hornadys were going, until the other day. i haved found that the velocity is nowhere near published velocity of 2358 and a factory winchester clocked in at 2282 for a 170gn bullet and mine averaged 2177 with 150 gn hornady and 36.7 gn of blc-2. This would not be a problem since i have not hunted with this rifle for some time ,but this year I have a spot to deer hunt that is wooded and will only make short range shots so I was planning to take my 30-30 and leave the 270 win at home in the warm house. I really would like to get all that I can get from the 30-30 but I am at a loss. I reworked the load up from 36gn wich gave me an average 2204 fps up to 36.4 with average velocity of 2162 fps and then back to the 36.7 gn with average velocity of 2162. It seems that the more the powder charge is the slower. (Think that I may try 1gn of powder) I am using standard cci larger rifle primers, and got similar results with the winchester. I am not expecting to get 2358fps as they most likely used a 24 inch barrel, but I would like to get into the upper 2200s. The load data from hodgen shows standard primers, but I was thinking that since it is a ball powder that I may need to use magnum primers. My chroney seems to be accurate and everything else that I have tried seems to be in line. I picked up a can of h4895 that I plan to try if I cant get the blc2 to work out. I may try to burn it up on .223 rems and give the IMR4198 (was my first powder I tried in 30-30) a rest. Thanks in advance for any help.

Boolit Master

Try a 150-180 Cast Boolit in that thing and see what they will do!

Clean all that coated bullet residue out first.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    honestly, the difference in 2100fps and 2300fps won't matter a bit if you put it in the right place.

go for accuracy.

Which load groups best, that's the one to use.

Think about how many deer have been taken with lesser rifles than the 30-30, plenty.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Grand Master

Those small velocity differences will make zero difference to the deer. Stop obsessing
    over velocity and shoot your deer, the round will work just fine even now that you know
    it isn't moving quite as fast as you thought it was. At short range the results will be good
    if you put the bullet where it needs to be.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

someone here has a sig that roughly quoted states " 5000 faster misses wont work any better than one slower hit " ( i did stated roughly quoted lolz ) in cast boolits sizing is everything but in firing any round accuracy is king , yes they may have used a longer barrel and one also has to recall that they use special lots of powder that arent generally for sale to the shooting public , i know a guy who keeps chasing the hornady superformance loads , i wish him luck but if he'd chase accuracy only instead of velocity he'd have a few more hairs left and less grey ones to boot
    when shooting j-words from my 30-30 i opt for the heavier bullet ( 170 , it retains energy at longer distances ) and chose a medium speed load that produces less pressure because a. it works , b. it feels like it produces less recoil , and c. it's very accurate , while i feel that the brass last longer as well that part could be just in my mind but the last lot of brass is already 2 loads past the one before it and still going strong
    one has to think that if you find a load with diminishing returns ( that's what i read by your post ) that you have already gone past the best load for that combo ( accuracy not withstanding )

Boolit Master

Talking

If you shoot a deer with a 170 grain cast bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1800 fps it will die. Shot placement, aim small hit small.

My .30-30 reloading experience with BC(2) or WW748 tends to favor heavier bullets of 170+ grains. In the 150 weight class I've had best results with powders like IMR3031, H322, H335, IMR4895 and Varget.

Boolit Buddy
    Try reloader 15 with the hornady and you will be pleasantly surprised,

Boolit Grand Master
    You're looking at what, a 4%-5% difference in velocity?? Do you think that will be an issue??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

34.0gr of H4895 (w/150gr Hornady #3035)

It works great in at least a couple Win M94s that I've loaded for over the years. My dad's, that my brother has now shoots it great, the old M94 30-30 I gave my little brother years ago shoots it great. Both shot it better than the W748/BL-C2/IMR3031 loads I tried. I heard for years how W748 was made for 30-30, I'll take the H4895 with cast or jacketed.

I have no idea what velocity it was going - couldn't care less. I know it causes more bloodshot meat that the 180gr 30 cal cast at 1800fps that I killed the last 3 with (311041 in 30-06, 311407 in 7.62x39 - both shooting within 50 fps of each other).

Both brothers still like the 150gr Hornady, they come over & load 'em up. I've offered them cast (311041/311291/311407) to try but they just don't want to.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Grand Master

Try the BLC2 with a magnum or WLR primer. Of course drop back and work up again. Also try the 34 gr H4895 load as it is a good one also. If you want a better ball powder for 150 gr J bullets in the 30-30 try H335 or AA2230, also with the magnumor WLR primers.

I also would suggest switching to my favoright 30-30 bullet, the Lyman 311041 cast of 50/50 WW/lead alloy AC'd , sized at .311, lubed with Javelina and with Hornady GCs. I load it over 29 gr H4895 as a "go to load" but it works very well over 30 gr of H335, both with WLR primers. If you have a Forster 1/8" HP tool then HP the bullet to 1/3 the depth of the nose. Deer just hate it....... Good luck hunting.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emorris View Post
    I have been using blc-2 powder in my Win 30-30 for some time now with good success to the point that it was all that I used. I developed the load long before I got a chroney and did not know how fast the 150gn hornadys were going, until the other day. i haved found that the velocity is nowhere near published velocity of 2358 and a factory winchester clocked in at 2282 for a 170gn bullet and mine averaged 2177 with 150 gn hornady and 36.7 gn of blc-2. This would not be a problem since i have not hunted with this rifle for some time ,but this year I have a spot to deer hunt that is wooded and will only make short range shots so I was planning to take my 30-30 and leave the 270 win at home in the warm house. I really would like to get all that I can get from the 30-30 but I am at a loss. I reworked the load up from 36gn wich gave me an average 2204 fps up to 36.4 with average velocity of 2162 fps and then back to the 36.7 gn with average velocity of 2162. It seems that the more the powder charge is the slower. (Think that I may try 1gn of powder) I am using standard cci larger rifle primers, and got similar results with the winchester. I am not expecting to get 2358fps as they most likely used a 24 inch barrel, but I would like to get into the upper 2200s. The load data from hodgen shows standard primers, but I was thinking that since it is a ball powder that I may need to use magnum primers. My chroney seems to be accurate and everything else that I have tried seems to be in line. I picked up a can of h4895 that I plan to try if I cant get the blc2 to work out. I may try to burn it up on .223 rems and give the IMR4198 (was my first powder I tried in 30-30) a rest. Thanks in advance for any help.
    If you're that worried about 200 fps, get some H Superformance or Leverevolution powder. They're now available at Grafs.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Iv'e been out testing my Savage 170 / 30-30 this morning with good results. I am using the RCBS 30-180-fn ~ it weighs 190gr's I use 28gr's of H4895 @ 2100fps. With an extreme spread of 37fps over five shots. Very accurate, very happy.
    Lead foot;

Boolit Grand Master
    I do believe you have found the sweet spot for your rifle
    plateau
    concentrate less on the #'s and plan on hitting where you aim
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    most deer here in ar, don't have a chroney so i don't think they will ever know the fps diff.

Boolit Master
    If your load hits consistantly use it. Never met a deer that cared how fast they were missed!http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...tor/smilie.gif

Boolit Grand Master

Larrys' load with H4895 is a good one with about the highest velocity listed in the 30-30. Layne Simpson did and article on the 30-30 awhile back and he had the highest velocity and best accuracy with H4895.

I use H4895 in my 30-30 contender carbine and my 30-30AI Contender pistol. I'm getting about the same velocity with my carbine and a 174gr cast bullet as you are with a 150gr jacketed.

Reloader 7 pushes my Lee 150-grain flat points at 2,300fps & gives me better accuracy than factory ammo out of a Marlin Microgroove.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

How far out do you have your chronograph? Published loads are muzzle velocity, calculated from the distance from the muzzle of the measurement. You have velocity probably 10 to 15 ft from the muzzle. Granted, you won't lose 200 fps in that distance, but you will lose some. Secondly, at what barrel length were the published loads shot? How long is your barrel?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!