RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: OLD WIVES TALES and MISINFORMATION

Boolit Master

Simple solution, I got rid of all my tupperware firearms. My Witness, 1911s and PPKs all shoot cast just fine.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master

Don't go lumping all "tupperware" into the same group.

Last I checked, my XD has traditional rifling and shoots cast superbly.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Grand Master

You can't shoot plain base boolits over 1000fps!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    You can't shoot plain base boolits over 1000fps!
    Thought that was only for Glocks...

Quote Originally Posted by tommygirlMT View Post
    Glocks have also been blown up with reloads --- just that --- reloads --- not lead just plain old jacketed bullet reloads following the manual --- 40SW especially

Reload the brass from a factory Glock and put it back in the Glock again and again and keep on reloading it until the necks split and dont consider the weakening of the head as well --- just a matter of statistics whether or not you blow up yours --- no lead required --- long story short its not the lead its the gun --- now don't get me wrong I own several Glocks myself --- just dont load the cases to many times and clean the copper or lead out of your barrel (yes copper fowling can do the exact same thing as lead fowling to agrivate the statistics against you) --- or better yet just get a good after market barrel with correctly cut barrel and chamber dimensions

Can you shoot lead in factory Glock? --- Can you shoot reloads in factory Glock? --- Can jacketed bullets copper fowl a Glock barrel? --- Can lead boolits lead a Glock barrel? --- Can you blow up your Glock if you are stupid? --- Can you blow up any other gun if you are stupid?

YES --- To all the above
    Whether one shoots reloads or factory ammo, any condition that leads to higher than normal pressure, or even normal high end pressure in a case with a weakened web area can cause a bad situation when fired in an unsupported chamber, i.e. Glock.

A blown case in a plastic framed gun is more likely to cause a catastrophic failure that one in an aluminum or steel framed gun. Barrel leading is only one possible cause, but one that seems to crop up among some folks who shoot lead bullets in Glock barrels prior to shooting jacketed ammo. As I said, it's not just lead fouling that can do this.

I once read a detailed incident report of an agency issued M-4 that blew up because the officer to whom it had been issued had shot it a LOT using factory jacketed ammo and routinely cleaned only the chamber, bolt, and bolt carrier. Eventually the bore became constricted with copper and powder fouling causing enough pressure to cause a Kaboom. And Yes, the bolt cam pin was in place.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by tommygirlMT View Post
    Glocks have also been blown up with reloads --- just that --- reloads --- not lead just plain old jacketed bullet reloads following the manual --- 40SW especially

Reload the brass from a factory Glock and put it back in the Glock again and again and keep on reloading it until the necks split and dont consider the weakening of the head as well --- just a matter of statistics whether or not you blow up yours --- no lead required --- long story short its not the lead its the gun --- now don't get me wrong I own several Glocks myself --- just dont load the cases to many times and clean the copper or lead out of your barrel (yes copper fowling can do the exact same thing as lead fowling to agrivate the statistics against you) --- or better yet just get a good after market barrel with correctly cut barrel and chamber dimensions

Can you shoot lead in factory Glock? --- Can you shoot reloads in factory Glock? --- Can jacketed bullets copper fowl a Glock barrel? --- Can lead boolits lead a Glock barrel? --- Can you blow up your Glock if you are stupid? --- Can you blow up any other gun if you are stupid?

YES --- To all the above
    I forgot to mention. It's refreshing to hear of a woman who reloads. I've met only one, and she is a great shooter in the Cowboy Shooting sports.

Hopefully you can lure some more womenfolk into the world of handloading.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Only use wooden dowel to slug your bore. I read that somewhere, and took it as gospel, but no more.
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommie D View Post
    That Swede was from the north. Southern Swede's say it Hoosk Varna. Now if you ask a Finish person, it's ........... well never mind.
    Lucky you guys, if you really want to know, just call me........

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by peerlesscowboy View Post
    The M-16 with it's 5.56mm round will kill the enemy even if you hit 'im in the big toe...........hydraulic shock will back the blood up and stop his heart.
    That new to me! And I thought I had heard.....quite a few.

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peerlesscowboy View Post
    The M-16 with it's 5.56mm round will kill the enemy even if you hit 'im in the big toe...........hydraulic shock will back the blood up and stop his heart.
    That new to me! And I thought I had heard.....quite a few.
    45-70 will kill an enemy if you hit them in the junk. Or anywhere else.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    5.56 tumbled so much if ya shot someone in the kneecap it’ll blow the top of his off!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

WOW!!!
    I Guess My Glock should have blown up about 25yrs ago.
    I bought a M23 when they came out in 1992. Only ammo I could get was F-C 180gr Lead. Shot maybe 500rds before I cleaned it. 400lead and then 100 Full Metal Jacket.
    My gun did not blow up.
    Then I got loading dies and cast a bunch of #40043, only bullet I had for it at the time.
    Loading 500rds for me and my friends M4006.
    Neither pistol blew up, none of the case heads blew out.
    Of course I did clean my Glock after those first 500rds.
    And there was no much in the way of leading either.

Got a Lee bulge buster about 15yrs ago. Don't know if it makes a difference or not.
    Never had a case head blow out yet.
    Not that many rounds fired yet, only about 12,000rds. Cowboy Shooting sorts interfered with shooting it for a lot of years.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    Obummer is the best Pesident since Carter.
    Sorry, just a joke....... We all know the correct answer..........
    What is the correct answer?
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

When I got my first Glock, no one told me 'you can't shoot lead in a Glock.' Since no one told me, I didn't tell my Glock, no ka-booms. (In all fairness, I treated my Glock like my other firearms which meant they were inspected frequently and maintained accordingly.)

I was at the range one day and testing my first powder coated 40 S&W boolits. There were 2 gentlemen shooting a scoped rifle at a 4" x 4" block of wood at 200 yards. They missed. I aimed at the block and was told 'you can't hit that block with a Glock 23.' It did take 3 to get my hold over and then I emptied the magazine into the block.

I guess since I never told my G23 it couldn't shoot 200 yards, it didn't know better. The look on that guy's face was priceless. I would like to see that guy watch my wife shoot her G23 at soda cans at 100 yards . . . with lubed lead hand loads, either right or left handed.

I love seeing folks who just don't think a pistol at distance can be accurate. I was at the range with my folks, we were shooting 6" steel plates from 25 to 65 yards. I cleared all the plates with a 2" 38 snubby, and of course, 'snubbys are not accurate.' I used to shoot that gun a lot . . . wife won't give it back saying 'get your own.' I guess a new snubby is in my future.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

1911 are the best ! Sorry not all 1911 are the same

45acp will throw the guy back 5 ft if you hit him

44mag are the most powerful handgun mm ok

Black powder guns are no good and not accurate and short range lol
    I hear that a lot lol

Old powder no good or it gets week lol �� you need fresh I shoot powder form ww2 and out of the 60s and 70s shoots just fine

I can keep going but I will stop for now

Boolit Master

1. Smoke your molds. Untrue and only causes problems in most cases.
    2. Lead hardness is paramount.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    What is the correct answer?
    And the correct answer is...(drum roll)... BS!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    1. Reloading will save you tons of money
    2. Your right to bear arms shall not be infringed
    3. Brass prep is super fun

The Great Plains North of the Platte River
    I have more than a few Glock pistols. All but 2 have Lone Wolf barrels. That said, I do shoot lead through the 2 stock barrels BUT, I'm absolutely fanatical about cleaning (yes, I'm a little OCD lol). I really like my Glocks and I figure if they're good enough for the SEALS they're good enough for me.

Not reloading/casting related but this one really bugs me. "Coyotes are just stupid animals. Just go to Walmart and pick up a $10 rabbit-in-distress call, drive out in the county get out and start blowing on your call full blast. They'll come running. Sometimes several at a time."
    Last edited by Slingin'Lead; 09-30-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    "Soft" boolits cause leading.
    This one should me the”mother” of all wives tales!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast