RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: First experience with Lyman 450

Boolit Master

First experience with Lyman 450

Someone gave me a Lyman 450 about 10 years ago but I had never used it because a) all my molds at the time were round ball or tumble lube, and b) I had no clue how to use it. Well now i have some molds that need a lubri-sizer, so i thought "why not give it a try". It had lube still in it and it was pretty stiff after ten years, but 10 minutes with a heat gun got it moving. Read the instructions and went to town. Just lubed some .45 ACP bullets and they turned out ok.

The great thing about this 450 (besides "free") is that it came with dies marked 358, 430, 452 and 309. Guess what i load for! Yep, 38/357, 44 spec, 45 ACP, and 308/30-06. Can't beat that. I may have to get some different top punches though.

I discovered two things in the process.
    1. I need some meat package styrofoam (bevel base bullets are a pain in the butt).
    2. I will need an old iron and a heavy aluminun plate. (my basement reloading room is 59 degrees)

Thanks for those tips, guys. Probably would have much frustration without them.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Buddy

I just started using my old Lyman 45 after about 45 years in storage--- can't believe how expensive the dies are now.
    Cleaned it all up, put new lube in and ready to go
    Floydster