RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideal/Lyman 310

Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    savvy jack --
    what do you need ? I have a few 310 45colt bits - pm if you like -
    I just looked and it looks like I must have got all I needed at one time....dang I am getting old

OK -- glad you got the bits -- I understand the old part very well -

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, while everybody is still digging around in their parts and pieces... I could use a #29 MR or CMR... it's the one that comes with a 30 Carbine or 32-20 set of dies. I've got some goodies to trade!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    I load .45-70 for my H&R, using an old 5-die set. I'm trying to design a case to hold my reloading outfit, 20 loaded rounds, and the components for 100 more. I have discovered that the components for these 100 rounds take up more space and weigh more than my entire reloading outfit.

Harbor freight has a 12" poly tool box that may serve -- about $5

Boolit Grand Master
    I put my 457 bullets in cases made for 45 ACP. These hold 50 rounds each and keep each separate from their neighbor to avoid bruising. As big as these bullets are, there is no way to keep them from taking up a certain amount of space! Depending on your powder charge, you may have to carry a whole pound of powder to charge those 100 rounds. You might look for one of the old flat sided steel cans that were discontinued recently, or better yet one of the more-or-less cubical cans that the old Bullseye™, Red Dot™ and other powders from Hercules™ used to come in. If you do use a repurposed can, though, be sure to mark it clearly and permanently to avoid problems later! I would avoid carrying primers in any but their original packaging, both to avoid contamination and mixing and to insure they don't go off from jostling together, a remote but real possibility.

Froggie

PS I found an old hip roof Kennedy tool box that holds my "field kit" just about perfectly.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just got a nice boxed set of 38/357 dies with a broken handle... probably from the '50s, and in a flea-Bay auction I got a very nice set of steel handles marked 38 SPL. There's another caliber taken care of! Along with my steel handled sets for 32 S&W, 32-40, and 45-70, I'm getting things pretty well covered. Perhaps the most difficult find was the rare Large and Small steel handles that use the shell adaptor rings (only made a year or two) that I got to use with die sets for which I lack the properly marked handles. I'm not sure steel handles make me load​ any better ammo, but they sure do give me a feeling of pride when I use them.

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    Pavogrande,

Thanks for the Harbor Freight comment. It reminded me of their canvas riggers bag that I have for another use. It might be perfect.

Green Frog,
    I have a bunch of those old Goex cans. It looks as though I will be keeping them for a long time. I detest plastic.

Actually, I was thinking about something shaped more or less like an attache case, with room inside for 20 loaded cartridges in loading blocks, 100 slugs in a wood block, the 310 tool, dies, a small balance scale, powder, primers, and a two-piece drop tube. With everything out of the case, it could be stood on its side and serve as a stand for the drop tube. The design is still evolving in my head, and I will eventually produce some plans on paper, and hopefully a finished project.

Boolit Grand Master

Re: 44-40/45 - I don't know about the adapters but the J shell holder for the 45 S&W fits the 44-40 perfectly.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold

310 Decapping pins?

On my 5-die .45-70 set, the decapping pin wobbles around quite a bit, although it works quite well. I took it out for inspection, and it looks as though it might be a brad that was pressed into service. The head is not what one would call a precision part. It is not round, is less than .030 thick, and the lower surface is not flat. The finish bears little resemblance to the decapping pins found Lyman or RCBS dies. Also, the end of the pin is not square.

How does this compare to the decapping pins in your dies?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JTeale View Post
    On my 5-die .45-70 set, the decapping pin wobbles around quite a bit ...... it looks as though it might be a brad that was pressed into service.
    The correct decapping pin will not wobble. Most likely you are correct that yours has been replaced with a brad or nail - a common occurrence.

Jim

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. It works, because I just decapped 10 more cases today, but I'm always a little dubious.

Next month I will be ordering some more stuff from the 310 shop, and I'll see if he has any decapping pins.

I initially posted this video on youtube a few weeks before my initial post to this forum but thought I'd share it again.

Last edited by Savvy Jack; 02-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Great video...

Here is a quick blog post I made about the Lyman 310 handloading die set. Some forums get an attitude about posting outside links. Actually I have only had a problem with one forum. Rather than duplicate the text, I will post a link.

https://www.44winchestercenterfireca...-Hand-Tool-Kit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12