Load DataWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: I use the Wilson case length gauges for 380 9mm 10mm and 40 S$w

I use the Wilson case length gauges for 380 9mm 10mm and 40 S$w

I have a overall bullet length gauge for all the Calibers i reload. From time to time I find a round that just will not chamber correctly. Consequently i got into the habitat of using a Case length gauge two ways. I can check a loaded round and if it fits it will fire, any thing that does not is a reject. After pulling the bullets and seating the case in the OAL gauge backwards as if it was a trim die i find some are stretched and to be discarded. The 9mm is not a true straight wall, so can not put in backwards. Still can just put in without the bullet to test.

Or I have the choice to check all for stretched cases before I reload.

Some are happy to just use the pistol chamber and use the old timer eyeball and finger test. Sure they are doing what works for them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wislon 40.jpg  
    Last edited by tackstrp; 01-20-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added comment about 9mm

Boolit Master
    wt ??????
    what does seating the case backwards have to do with case length...the bases are not the same dia as the mouth....
    MEASURE the case oal to determine if it is long....then trim and shoot some more...kinda strange in pistol format.....one trim in a life is normally the most one ever gets.......

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Grand Master
    I am with Mike. A quick check with a caliper will tell me all I need to know about case length. Also have not found any rounds for a pistol that did not chamber due to excess case length. Too fat a bullet in a thick case yes, too long a case? Never. Not saying it can't happen but it would be rare in my guns.
    And I dont trim cases for auto pistols. They work or they go in the recycle bucket.

I have been using Wilson tools and gauges for 50 years. I have a case length gauge in every rifle caliber I reload and a gauge like your in every handgun caliber. I would not want to be without them. They have solved many problem and help me avoid many, many more.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I have never used one.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

wilson case gauge

well they are handy I have been using them for years now in fact I need to get one for a 223they will tell you if you are making a mistake in your reloading with out having to load a round into a gun D Crockett

I'm with you btroj / Mike. Have shot the same lot of brass until it all split after a half dozen anealings, but NEVER trimed one, or had a problem with a long case. I think this is a soulution to a problem that I don't have. But if it makes a person happy, then they should do it.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

If we are talking just about case length in handgun rounds, I see no purpose in a case length gauge. I don't trim auto-pistol cases and for sixgun cases I use a file trim die to square off the case mouth for a uniform crimp.

If we are talking bottle neck rifle rounds, that is another deal. The Wilson gauge not only shows case length, but head-space as well. You can use it to understand the head space in your rifle and make certain your die/shell holder is doing what it is supposed to do. I have run into several die/shell holder combinations that did not produce proper head space.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    "I use the Wilson case length gauges for 380 9mm 10mm and 40 S$w"

I don't use the Wilson case length gauges for 380 9mm 10mm and 40 S$w. ??

Boolit Master

I learned to use the Wilson gages while loading for the .30 carbine and .45 ACP in Ruger single actions. With them, the control of the case length is critical as well as diameter, ect. This is not only for function but accuracy as well. Like most I use what ever brass I can get and the variances are amazing when you get to looking close.
    Later , with the .223, this was reinforced. We had a fellow up north, who wanted to get into custom loading and at first the reviews were mixed, some liked his work, some did not. I showed him the results I was getting using the gages, he tried a couple, then used the gages for every round he loaded. He couldn't keep up with demand.
    You must remember, they are only a tool. Micrometers and calipers will tell you the same thing but the gages do it quicker and with no doubt. They don't make good ammo, you do. They can help you however, make even better ammo than you normally do and also help you spot problems before you get to the range. How many times have you seen a fellow shooter trying to deal with a jammed round ? Range masters get real cranky when you want to field strip at the bench, with good reason I might add. Besides, its far better to find any problem before you are in front of the peanut gallery.
    The Wilson and Lyman gages WILL help you make better overall ammo.

Boolit Master
    EGW makes a couple of "chamber checkers" that work very nicely.

Boolit Master

I use the barrel or cylinder for checking my handgun loads. I start with a dummy, but if I have any questions I'll pull a barrel to check a loaded cartridge for an auto loader. If I really get serious about handgun ammo production, I could see buying a gauge, especially for the auto loaders.

I stopped worrying about trim length on 9mm and 45. I have never seen them do anything except get shorter.

I use a Stoney Point (now Hornady) case gauge + dial calipers on bottleneck rifle for headspace. I don't know how I lived without it before. Well, I used to chamber and resize empties a LOT before I got it. I use a Sinclair wheel nut + dial caliper for measuring bullet seating length on the ogive. I hardly use C.O.A.L any more, except where magazine fit might be an issue.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tackstrp View Post
    I have a overall bullet length gauge for all the Calibers i reload. From time to time I find a round that just will not chamber correctly. Consequently i got into the habitat of using a Case length gauge two ways. I can check a loaded round and if it fits it will fire, any thing that does not is a reject. After pulling the bullets and seating the case in the OAL gauge backwards as if it was a trim die i find some are stretched and to be discarded. The 9mm is not a true straight wall, so can not put in backwards. Still can just put in without the bullet to test.

Or I have the choice to check all for stretched cases before I reload.

Some are happy to just use the pistol chamber and use the old timer eyeball and finger test. Sure they are doing what works for them.
    I have one for 9mm to check the base to see if it will fit or is too tight. I have several for Rifle to check the shoulder to see if it was pushed back to far. If so the firing pin "MAY' not hit properly causing the rifle not to fire. This happened to me with a 30-06 while deer hunting.

But I do not use any of them to check for shell length. I use a dial caliper and refer to one of many reloading manuals for length.

Remember not to be too hard on the people posting their opinion or experience they may vary from ours but that doesn’t mean that they are wrong.

Boolit Master

I use case gages for 5.56x45, 7.62x51, 7.62x39 to assure ammo is in spec. I also have a gage for 9x19 to check for expanded bases on brass, easier than taking a barrel out of a gun.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator