WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Heavy 9mm

Boolit Man

Heavy 9mm

Got off work unexpectedly early today and this morning I was looking thru the back of the no. 2 Ackley book and found a few loads for 160 grain bullets for the 9 mm. Being the recent recipient of a NOE 358429 I immediately went HMMM....
    Needless to say with a little time to kill this afternoon I loaded a dozen 158 gr. semi wadcutter hollow points, sized to 356 on top of 3 grains of Unique, Light crimp right on the crimp groove, Grabbed my wifes glock 19 and ran out back to the range.

I can not believe how good this boolit shot. With a dozen rounds I beat the center out of a target like I normaly do with my Ruger security six. I dont usually shoot this particular gun that great. If I can load 158's in a 9mm I might just consider carrying one. If any one is interested the load Ackley had listed was 3.5 - 4.5 gr. Unique under a 160 gr. bullet. Keeping firmly in mind that Ackley, bless his heart, blew up A LOT of guns, I started this experiment by first backing off his light end a little. I loaded up a dozen more at 3.5 and worked without a bobble. No flat primers, actually seems kind of a light load compared to some factory ammo.

I've had very good luck with the Lyman RN .38 Special mould (358311?) in 9x19mm. With the alloy I have been using the mould casts about 164 grains and is very accurate. I've been shooting them sized .358 since I lack a .356 sizing die. Mostly just experments so far, but its worked very well. Its also nice to be able to load the same boolits in 9x19 and .38 Special.
    "The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Landric

Honcho for NOE .38-200 Mk. I British Round Nose Group Buy

Boolit Master
    The load I now use in my T/C carbine 9mm is a 150 RN boolit dropped from a Lee 38/357 mold. It shoots very well using 4.6 gr of Unique. No sign of overpressure whatsoever.

I think you missed your mould number. #358429 is the 170 grain SWC. Did you mean the #358477 ?

Boolit Man
    The hollow points from that mold weigh 158, at least mine do.

Great post. This is good to hear. I'm on the fence about trying something similar:

S&W M&P 9c 3.5" barrel
    9mm Speer Brass (.749-.754 case length)
    Lee TL .358-158 SWC (157.5 gr and .3577 diameter) Air Dried & Lyman #2
    2.5 gr of Power Pistol
    OAL of 1.009
    CCI 500 primer

Cartridges loaded on a Lee Turret Press, 38/357 4 pistol deluxe die set minus the powder-through die (use the 9mm Luger powder-through-die instead). VERY LIGHT FDC.

We will see if this works!

Quote Originally Posted by sewerman68 View Post
    Got off work unexpectedly early today and this morning I was looking thru the back of the no. 2 Ackley book and found a few loads for 160 grain bullets for the 9 mm. Being the recent recipient of a NOE 358429 I immediately went HMMM....
    Needless to say with a little time to kill this afternoon I loaded a dozen 158 gr. semi wadcutter hollow points, sized to 356 on top of 3 grains of Unique, Light crimp right on the crimp groove, Grabbed my wifes glock 19 and ran out back to the range.

I can not believe how good this boolit shot. With a dozen rounds I beat the center out of a target like I normaly do with my Ruger security six. I dont usually shoot this particular gun that great. If I can load 158's in a 9mm I might just consider carrying one. If any one is interested the load Ackley had listed was 3.5 - 4.5 gr. Unique under a 160 gr. bullet. Keeping firmly in mind that Ackley, bless his heart, blew up A LOT of guns, I started this experiment by first backing off his light end a little. I loaded up a dozen more at 3.5 and worked without a bobble. No flat primers, actually seems kind of a light load compared to some factory ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    About a year ago I found paging through a old Lyman, reload manual, couple load writtin up with good old Elmer Kieth, any hiw it was showing loads with wieghts up to 190 grains , cast super hard cast to soft medium hardness didn't say what brinell hardness, even had some zinc, washer loads.... Hmmmm..... Well anyway, I found a load using my rcbs162 grain gascheck mold, don't remember the charge, but have a bunch, 4-500 rounds made up never used, so grabed up my issue glock-17 sssshhh not a word!!!! And wow they worked great, very accurate, said hmmmmm... Tried same stuff out of my CZ 75 wow same thing, very low recoil, bur really good, thought hummmm.... Went for my cx4 storm 9mm carbine, it went bang bang bang, not bad, I checked both handguns for leading, man clean as a whistle, broke my cx4 down and holy ****, leaded up, oh **** balls, you all know the drill, haven't used my rifle in some time, with cast of any kind, so will try again, needless to say I was pleased with the pistols, but have since found my carbine likes power pistol, so I'll leave it to the other bullets for now.

Boolit Master
    I like the lee swc 154 gr tl bullet over 3.0 grains of bullseye with a wolf small pistol primer.

OAL is 1.080", and gives perfect function in my glock g26.

Slightly shorter oal swells the case base so it won't fit the chamber and the slide won't close. Slightly longer and the bullet engages the rifling and prevents slide going into battery.

Oal is key with these heavy bullets in my gun.... But they are great to shoot when you get them dialed in.

Boolit Man
    In the very past, I use the 358429 bullit in my FN HI Power.9mm.
    Loaded with 2.2.grs fast huntingpowder, Belgium made and not any longer available.
    It gives a good result and repeat good
    Now I use the bullit for .38 sp.
    I am very satisfyed about this bullit.

Quote Originally Posted by sewerman68 View Post
    The hollow points from that mold weigh 158, at least mine do.
    Yep, the HP 358429's from NOE drop at 158.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 10-25-2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Banned
    "Keeping firmly in mind that Ackley, bless his heart, blew up A LOT of guns, I started this experiment by first backing off his light end a little."

Mr. Ackley did blow up a few guns in his research into the strengths of those actions to find what was suitable for use and while testing case strengths. He did not blow them up accidently.