RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just when I think lead can't be found...

Just when I think lead can't be found...

SCORE!!! My sister called me up and asked if I wanted 300lbs of BRAND NEW stick-on WW's still in the box!!! Her husband works at a place that sells damaged goods from truck shipments and they got in three 100 lb boxes. With his employee discount, I'm getting all 3 boxes for a total of $80. And to think I was starting to get disappointed with all the tire shops turning me down for WW's.

Oh, and I found a nice lady thats going to sell me 100 lbs of linotype for $1 per pound! It's gonna be a good year!!!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Grand Master
    Congrats!

I'm sure you are aware that the sick-on WW's are usually nearly pure lead, so that linotype will come in handy.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Vendor Sponsor
    The company I work for shares the building with our sister company owned by same man. Part of the their process uses large cylinders of foundry lead 99.9% pure. When the cylinder is pressed into the center of the product quite a bit of lead is shaved off and is sold as scrap. The local scrap dealer gives $.37 per pound for the scrap and so do I...all I can get my grubby little hands on. I have 105 pounds to go for the first $100 I paid toward 270 lbs. Don't even ask, I had to promise that it was for my use only. So it looks like I am set for soft lead and at a price that will let me buy tin and antimony if I can't find WW anymore.

ammohead

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Awesome for you both!!!
    Dave

Boolit Master

neat find

Boolit Master
    Steve,could be you might be able to trade some of that Lino for WW's. Just a thought. Dennis Eugene

Thanks all. My sister brought them over last night. All brand new WW's (strips of stick-on's), but probably 30 or so lbs of steel and zinc in the boxes too. I think I'll sell them (the steel and zinc) on e-bay and see if I can recoup some of my $80. Definately was a good score for me. I almost feel bad melting down brand new WW's. Yeah, right....
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Eugene View Post
    Steve,could be you might be able to trade some of that Lino for WW's. Just a thought. Dennis Eugene
    Yeah, I may do that. I'm picking up the lino middle of the month. Until then I don't know exactly how much she has, but she knows she has over 100 ingots.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
    Thanks all. My sister brought them over last night. All brand new WW's (strips of stick-on's), but probably 30 or so lbs of steel and zinc in the boxes too. I think I'll sell them (the steel and zinc) on e-bay and see if I can recoup some of my $80. Definately was a good score for me. I almost feel bad melting down brand new WW's. Yeah, right....

No sir, that's bargaining material. All those shops that wouldn't sell you clip ons? Go back and trade them the non lead stick ons for a full bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    No sir, that's bargaining material. All those shops that wouldn't sell you clip ons? Go back and trade them the non lead stick ons for a full bucket.
    I may try that!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Boolit Buddy
    I would find a tire shop and trade them for 3 times there weight. You might only be able to do a little at a time. But 900lb sounds better than 300

Boolit Buddy
    All of that weight by the 3rd?! Damn bro your off to a real nice start for 2011.

L.Bottoms

Yeah, and my sister called yesterday and she has another 100lbs of diving weights for me at a cost of .15 cents a pound. So, for $15 bucks I have another 100 lbs waiting for me to pick up. So far, so good! I should have paid attention to all the other threads where guys said just get the word out and the lead will come. Because I got the word out and now I'm getting a good bit of lead. And to make the year even better, I just talked to a guy the other day that told me he shoots a lot of .357 and .38's, and he doesn't reload, so he said he'll start giving me all of his brass. So, 2011 is starting off pretty good!
    Last edited by *Paladin*; 01-08-2011 at 01:08 AM.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Boolit Buddy
    Im not sure if i like you anymore. lol jk. GJ and keep up the good finds. I think i remember a few of your post where you wernt finding squat. Guess we wont be hearing that tune anymore.
    Instead it will sound like "hey guys just picked up 1/2 a ton from my sisters neighbors mothers dog". lol.

L. Bottoms

Boolit Buddy
    Nice scores. Getting the word out definitely helps.

I just got off the phone with my older brother making sure he got my package of brass I forgot to take home for the holidays to go with the reloading setup I got him for Christmas. Anyway, the discussion migrated to lead/wheel weights and he said he should be able to get me a bunch of wheel weights, so it sounds like he's going to start gathering them for me to pickup the next time I make it home.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadbutt View Post
    ... just picked up 1/2 a ton from my sisters neighbors mothers dog".
    What an idea!
    This might not be right but would beat walking around at night with pliers:
    suppose a dog could pull a couple WWs per night on his "run"?
    Who would suspect a dog sniffing a tire?
    Any trainers out there?

Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    What an idea!
    This might not be right but would beat walking around at night with pliers:
    suppose a dog could pull a couple WWs per night on his "run"?
    Who would suspect a dog sniffing a tire?
    Any trainers out there?
    LMAO! Hey, I'd bet a dog could be trained to do it!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Nice thing about the stick ons is virtually no waste! 100 pounds will likely net you 98-99 pounds of useable lead. Clip ons is more like 88-90% with loss of the metal clips. Great score!

Jeff
    A woman has the last word in any argument.
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Paladin, a little ironic that you have trouble locating lead in Idaho. The silver valley was once the mecca for lead and silver before the Bunker Hills mine closed. I worked for a time in The Lucky Friday mine.
    Id bet before the Super Fund clean up you could walk down the side of the road and find all you wanted.

Justin

Boolit Master
    Keep asking! I picked up about half full 5 gal. bucket from the garage that does all my auto/truck repairs yesterday. Its a national chain and I guess he is supposed to recycle everything, but for a good regular customer he makes exceptions. got a tune up and some other work done, he threw in whatever ww he had accumulated in the deal. I will drop off some donuts tomorrow!

Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast