Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Cast Boolits tips

Boolit Master
    [Originally Posted by noylj
    and commented on by RobS:
    2 I learned that many people consider low smoke and not getting their guns dirty as more important than how accurate a given powder is.
    Indoor shooting may be of their concern as they can't see through the smoke which may affect their accuracy; cowboy shooting much the same.
    All I shoot is lead indoors and I have never noticed smoke, until this year when I read all sorts of people whining about it. I say--put them on black powder for a week and then come back and talk to me.
    4 I learned that a LOT of reloaders see case expansion as only being case mouth belling and NOT getting the case ID to within 0.001" of bullet diameter, and then they don't understand why their lead bullets are being swaged down.
    Yes and no, for revolvers shooting magnum loads neck tension is very important in keeping the boolit from jumping crimp. .001 under boolit diameter often times will not be enough to keep a boolit in place and especially for the last few rounds in regards to magnum revolver loads
    Neck tension better not be that critical since they should be using a good roll crimp. They are NOT getting increased neck tension, they are simply swaging down their bullet. You pull apart almost any cast bullet load and you will find the case neck ID is 0.001" less than bullet diameter, not matter these numbers were before you seated the bullet.
    Again, I learned that people do not tear their loads down and learn what is really going on.
    8 I learned that WWs are a thing of the past
    not gone yet but state by state will be in the very near future
    If you can find them, they are mixed with zinc and steel and you have to buy the bucket and it isn't worth it.

Boolit Master

What I learned is that group buys should be avoided at all costs, yea right
    Second you never know when life is going to step up and ruin your life.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

stretch your primo alloy

1. kroil... yup
    2. stretch ww, lino and babbit alloys ...mix with free pure lead for a low antimony alloy which will still heat treat to 22+ and retain maleability in place of brittleness.
    3. make friends with a roofing contractor... ( 2000 pounds free lead so far, and it cleans up well and ingots to 9-10 brynnell!)
    Last edited by pls1911; 01-31-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling

This year I have learned that Bullplate is made from the tears of angels, and use a primer flip tray for flipping gas checks,cup up.
    Justin

Boolit Master

and use a primer flip tray for flipping gas checks,cup up.
    That's a new one for me. I'll add that to my 2011 tips list.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

first if it was not for the mention of citric acid I would think this thread is for casting?

What I have leaned about this forum is there :
    1 seem to be some very knowledgeable people out here.
    2 More than a few of you are in my age range.
    3 Why I had so much trouble with a Lyman Zouave 35 years ago.
    4 This is the most civilized group I have seen on the net. yet.
    5 The moderators do a fine job here.
    6 I am not the only one who shoots old or oddball calibers.
    7 Eds Red works well even though I have the formula in a old book it was feed back here that convinced me to mix some up.
    8 There are many more people who need help with simple problems that they can get here.
    9 Politics is inescapable for gun-owners and rust and politicians are a guns worst enemy.
    10 Ten is not enough but will give you the rough idea!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been a member of this "family" since 2005 (good grief, that is six years ago) and even tho' I have been casting bullets and reloading for sixty years or so, I have learned a good bit simply by sharing techniques. I commercially cast for a number of years and there are few who can turn out the quantity of match quality bullets that I can. However, I can truthfully say, on here, I have probably met my match.

One thing I picked up in the past couple of years (from Mike Venturino) is the use of a manicurist's fan. You can find them in the fan department of Walmart's or Target Stores (I got mine in Target) for less than $10.00. I have mine positioned less than a foot above my mould working area. After I fill the mould I slide it over under the fan and the sprue is hard in 2-3 seconds (by the clock) and it also helps me maintain the mould temperature without ANY extra effort. I NEVER have to cool a mould, whether it is a large caliber multi-cavity or a small single or double cavity mould. It is a BIG help in production of good numbers of bullets in a very short time. Using a six cavity .44 or .45 mould I can empty my RCBS pot (20-21 lbs of finished bullets) in less than an hour without trying. This is just a steady pace with NO interruptions to do this or that. "This or that" is no longer needed. All of this without having water in the vicinity of the hot lead.

A side benefit to the fan is that it is cooling the pile of cast bullets (I shove them to the rear of the fan) while I am casting. This allows me to pack them up for my trip from the utility barn to the house when I finish (instead of going back a half hour or so later). This is just another little convenience that pleasures me.

THAT (the fan) would be one tip I would put on the list.

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    I like the 45/45/10 lube recipe. The citric acid brass cleaner has also sped up the reloading process for me.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

Dale53 : thank you for the tip on the fan, Oh and that goes for Mike also. I've been casting for about 60 years also, started at 5 yrs. with my Uncle Joe (very kind, BUT STRICT) and his very watchful eyes. Still, it seems like every time that I peruse these pages , I find either a new trick or a mention of something that kicks those missing neurons in my brain back into alignment. So, while I am an old timey boolit caster, I wish to say a BIG THANK YOU to all the fine people on this site for some of the new tricks that this old dog has learned, keep 'em coming. God Bless to all.

P.S. I also want to comment on the courtesy of this site. this site and the one at <www,go2gbo> are in a tie as far as I'm concerned, though each site does get a "little" hot when it comes to politics and religion. Love it---hahahaha
    Last edited by goofyoldfart; 03-03-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Buddy
    OK, here is my contribution.
    Buy, read, and live, the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition.
    Available at Optics Planet for about $17.
    Rookies and Intermediates cannot go wrong with the foremost authority on the subject.
    Have Fun!
    Billy Boy

Boolit Master

Use of gloved hand to open the sprue plate instead of the mallet for a better cut sprue.

Ken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by justingrosche View Post
    This year I have learned that Bullplate is made from the tears of angels, and use a primer flip tray for flipping gas checks,cup up.
    Justin
    Good one! I'll have to remember that. As far a primer flip trays, I have a red one, green one, an orange one, and about two dozen black ones. The Lee ones that come with the safety prime kit for the turret press are head and shoulders above the rest in effectiveness. They have little teats on the surface of the tray instead of the usual concentic rings, MUCH better. Two shakes will flip 100 primers over every time.

Gear

1) for most pistol applications, air cooled is better than water dropped. 2) kroil, is great stuff, but not in aluminum molds. 3) Ed's Red, is just awesome. 4) finding a good, consistent lead source, is a lot harder than it sounds. 5) use jacketed bullets (this cuts much faster) and fine valve grinding compound to enlarge your sizing dies.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
    1) for most pistol applications, air cooled is better than water dropped. 2) kroil, is great stuff, but not in aluminum molds. 3) Ed's Red, is just awesome. 4) finding a good, consistent lead source, is a lot harder than it sounds. 5) use jacketed bullets (this cuts much faster) and fine valve grinding compound to enlarge your sizing dies.
    I sometimes do fine reaming and hole cleaning by cutting a 1" slit in a dowel or aluminum rod then wrap the end of the rod with a piece of 1" wide emery cloth/paper using the slit to hold the end. Adjust by lengthening or shortening the emery strip. I can take off some fairly tiny amounts doing this but be careful cause you can take of large amounts also.

Boolit Grand Master

The biggest thing I have learned is to always read the threads posted by:
    Beagle
    44 Man
    Larry Gibson
    Ben
    Brent
    Lloyd Smiley
    Felix
    Bullshop
    Mike Venterino
    And a few others I can't think of off the top of the head. Not that there are not others who are worth reading. However, believe in going with known realities.

Have never found their posts to be anything but informative. Occaisionally controversial as well, but well thought out. Any day I don't learn something is a day wasted. Never have one of those days when I am on line with Castboolits.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

The biggest thing I have learned is to always read the threads posted by:
    Beagle
    44 Man
    Larry Gibson
    Ben
    Brent
    Lloyd Smiley
    Felix
    Bullshop
    Mike Venterino

And to this list we must also add:

Bruce B as he seems to have a good handle on the care and feeding of Military Rifles and he has no agenda to espouse.

His speed casting technique is outstanding and I have found it very helpful and a valuable way to get more boolits made in less time with a minimum of fuss and muss.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub

sprue plate

get a good board or mallet to hit sprue tops or you just go through to many.....haven't found a good one yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick2010 View Post
    get a good board or mallet to hit sprue tops or you just go through to many.....haven't found a good one yet.
    Try a rubber mallet. Easy on the sprue plate and does not wear.

Boolit Master
    2 I learned that many people consider low smoke and not getting their guns dirty as more important than how accurate a given powder is.

Lord have mercy if that's where accuracy has gone!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    Learned how to make 45/45/10 using a $6 crock pot. Also learned that we should all read Glen's internet manifesto on bullet casting; best tome I have ever read on bullet casting by far.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast