WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Cast Boolits tips

I used a length of grey schedule 80 pvc pipe with the end of it "capped" with cardboard cereal box taped in place like a little top hat over the end. Then a third of the pipe was filled with bad boolits wide enough to almost fill the inner diameter followed up with rolled up cardboard to hold the lead in the front third of my weighted sprue persuader. The end is taped to keep the plug in place. Works great, very durable and the tape can be replaced if it wears out after about a thousand or two sprue whacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick2010 View Post
    get a good board or mallet to hit sprue tops or you just go through to many.....haven't found a good one yet.

Boolit Bub
    I have learned where to buy tumbleing media and howto treat it among other things. Thanks

With only 25 years of casting I cannot add a thing except I learn something new every year... THIS YEAR was 45/45/10 as a final coat on any other lube.
    Over kill yes, but I've also never had ANY problems leading......ever.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

As a Newb here, I have learned that I have a ****Load to Learn!

I now spend my lunch hour everyday at work reading everything I can here while I eat.

Hey, thats a pretty good tip right there!

Boolit Master

I now spend my lunch hour everyday at work reading everything I can here while I eat.
    If you can get by with only an hour a day on this site, you are a disciplined man. It seems to absorb time every time I sit down at the computer.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilmonty View Post

Hey, thats a pretty good tip right there!

I've been doing that for several years when possible.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Bub
    Reading this post has given me some great tips on this hobby...thanks to all

Boolit Buddy

I guess the most important thing I've learned here is that no matter how much I read, there's always more good information waiting to be read.

I origionaly came to this forum seeking advice loading some cheap cast bullets in a 9mm(and no it still doesn't shoot them well).What I've learned this past year is ,if you associate with people with filthy habits(like melting metals)...you WILL pick up the same filthy habits.Thanks to many of you and LOTS of reading ,most of it here,casting was really not as big a challenge as I'd first expected and its been LOADS of fun.Thanks to all of you.

Boolit Man
    I have learned that many years spent loading "J-word" loads, means exactly squat once you open the casting door and walk through it.

But the best tip I have received (and there have been MANY) is the lead hardening over time. That explained a whole lot of my problems.

Yup^^ If your getting some leading and your boolits were cast less than a week to week-and-a-half before, let them sit for another 2 weeks and retry. When I got in a rush and cast up a pile of boolits from a new mold, I didn't want to wait so I water dropped them and loaded some up within a couple days. I got some leading, once I set them aside for a month and shot some more, all went good. Better accuracy and no leading. It's now standard practice to plan ahead and cast the boolits I plan to shoot at least a month down the road.
    Don't wait to size them though, they can be rather a pain to do it once age hardened.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

I have learned that if I log onto Cast Boolits and read the things that people post that I can learn something new every day.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Learned about:

> Gluelits
    > lubing - what and what not to use (45/45/10 is the best!) (not straight mule snot)
    > Re-loading in's & out's / up's & down's / over's & under's
    > How long it takes to read some of these threads that are 150+ pages long!?!?!?
    > Not to fret about the 3 ring circus in Washington DC doing the "Olde Ammo Grab".....just load 'em myself!
    > Just about anything I want to know that I did not need to know I needed to know!

"People that think they know everything..........really piss of those of us that do!"

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    With only 25 years of casting I cannot add a thing except I learn something new every year... THIS YEAR was 45/45/10 as a final coat on any other lube.
    Over kill yes, but I've also never had ANY problems leading......ever.

I'm gonna try!
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Boolit Man
    #1 tip......cast a BUNCH. use whatever you got. it aint rocket science.

just like shootin'. the more you shoot, the more you learn, the better you get.

Maybe I missed it, but i didn't put it in my earlier post.
    A primer in the sweepings will empty a 20 pot of lead in .0002 nano-seconds.... straight up.
    dufus....
    It's been a lot of years, but you don't soon forget cleaning that up off the ceiling.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tip, I will file it away for when I am done casting for air guns...LOL Cast boolits can fly waaaay better than pellets; that is why I am here so that I can learn to make 'em myself.
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

#1 PID's just rock .. the longer I have it the more I use it
    #2 The plug and wire off of your wife's old hairdryer has a circuit breaker on it that works perfect for a PID setup
    #3 In the late 70's I was poor and had to cast. 30+ years later I pulled my old casting stuff out . Last notes were 1980. What is old is new again
    #4 Lithi-bee still works well
    #5 being a tool and die maker since 1975 and having the tools is making casting a lot more fun ( I mod everything )
    #6 The hotplate warmer seems so dirt-bag simple I wonder why it never occurred to me
    #7 Mining the outdoor range for lead !

Great, the more info casters can find in one place, the better chance that they will find the info they should be using to better their casting.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Buddy
    Something I learned by watching someone else today (work related but applies to casting as well):

-Be humble.No matter how much you think you know one day it will change.
    -Being know-it-all smart-*** wont get you anywhere but in trouble.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast