Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Buying brass from scrap yard

Boolit Mold

Buying brass from scrap yard

I was at the local scrap yard today selling some junk. When I am there I usually check to see if they have any lead. Today I asked about brass. The guy called his boss to see if they had any for sale and he told him he couldn't sell them for "legal reasons" Has anyone ever heard of this? Sounds like bs to me.

Some of it must be demilled depending on the agency it was acquired from. Usually it needs to be witnessed by a rep from that agency.
    -Corey
    www.shop.******brass.com
    Offering reloaders quality once fired brass at reasonable prices.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Sounds like baloney to me. He probably has a buddy sorting through the brass.

BvT

Boolit Grand Master
    Where is this "Local" scrap yard?? Near a military facility of auction site of military surplus??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    Not close to any military base. Would have come from a range and individuals.

Boolit Master

I don't have a problem buying brass at a recycler here. I'm guessing that if a recycler has it, it does not legally require anything more be done to it, rather the owner is anti gun or as mentioned has a friend(s) who take it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodl View Post
    ..."legal reasons" ...
    Sounds as though he knows the law on receiving stolen goods and just hasn't finished "laundering" the brass. Or he's under contract and waiting for a better offer.

Boolit Grand Master

There are no legal reasons for selling brass other than what is in his head or he saw on Law and Order. He either is being overly cautious which is understandable in this sue everyone time we are in or is anti-gun and just wants to destroy it. I think it's more of the former and "legal reasons" is his catch-all phrase to try and end the conversation without a bunch of argument.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodl View Post
    Not close to any military base. Would have come from a range and individuals.
    I just don't see an issue. SOunds more like someone just washing their hands of the gun brass issue.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    I live in rural TN. I doubt he is anti gun. My guess is either he is misinformed or has a deal set up on the side. Maybe he gets a kickback from someone he has a deal set up with. I don't think he was the owner, he just ran the place.

Boolit Master

I'd be VERY cautious buying scrap brass from a scrap yard. I've sold scrap brass before because that's what it was, scrap. NOT something I would reload. I got some surplus 308 that had been corroded from the inside due to improper storage. Caused a failure in my uncles M1A that blew his gun up. I pulled all the slugs and scrapped the brass. I wouldn't wish that brass on my enemy.

Just my 2 cents......
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Would selling this brass require the scrap yard owner to have an FFL ?
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

No, only if they are manufacturing new cases, or cartridge components. Sounds like they are doing the "better safe than sorry" method and not selling to individuals. It is possible that they have a contract with commercial reloaders, or they sell it themselves at more than the $3.50 or so scrap value.
    -Corey
    www.shop.******brass.com
    Offering reloaders quality once fired brass at reasonable prices.

Boolit Master
    If a scrap yard sells you scrap brass (casings) and lead and you use these to prodce reloads then perhaps if you shoot someone who knows.

Farmers are being sued for growing crops from seeds which were cross polinated by crops grown from seeds produced by Monsanto.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

My guess would be they're worried about the possibility of a live round. .
    My local scrap yard, where I buy lead, doesn't deal in cartridge brass at all, for that reason.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe he said legal reasons so he didn't have to discuss the issue any further. His yard so he can decide if he wants to sell anything. When people hear legal they don't press the issue any further. When they hear no, they start to ask a million questions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Maybe he said legal reasons so he didn't have to discuss the issue any further. His yard so he can decide if he wants to sell anything. When people hear legal they don't press the issue any further. When they hear no, they start to ask a million questions.
    I think we have the winner here.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    I would think if the person at the scrap yard were the owner he would of snatched your cash just as quickly as he could. I have never seen a scrap yard owner with anything less than a 1 inch thick wad of big bills in his pocket. You can find large quantities of 1x fired brass at govdeals dot com, govliquidation dot com and gsaauctions dot gov. Congress passed a law requiring military brass be made available for the public to buy . This went into effect about 10 years ago if i remember correctly and those 3 web sites are the places it is sold.