Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #1

Boolit Master

Ruger #1

Maybe I'm a bit 'tarded, but why on earth do these things cost so much?

I was in making a payment on my next Handi yesterday,
    There was a very nice Ruger #1 in 280 Rem,
    Used, they wanted $895.00! why so much?

Maybe supply and demand. The first one I bought new was 499.00 and the prices have gone up since.

Boolit Master

For the same reason ammo is so expensive people just grumble and pay the price, some don't even grumble!

Boolit Grand Master
    your paying by the pound
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Because they figured some sucker would come along and pay their inflated price

Boolit Grand Master

It was always priced high, even back in the day. I am one of the fools that have bought more than one. But to me it has a certain feel and appeal to it and I like shooting them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Priced high because it is worth the money.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I seem to recall the new price back in the early '70s as $265. That was a LOT of money then as compared to a Remington 700 or Winchester 70.

The used price you saw seems a bit high to me, but possibly because of an odd caliber or such.

In regards to a Handi-rifle, there is no comparison. The #1 had always been blued steel and walnut until the recent addition to SS and laminated stocks. They are put together with screws, and nicely finished. Contrast that to a Handi- which is a shotgun action with plastic or birch stock, put together with pins, contains sintered metal and plastic parts, and not so nicely finished.

I don't (and won't) own a Handi-. I HAD a TC Contender some 30 years ago, and it was a decent product. I have no desire for an Encore or G2 which I think are both far superior to the Handi, but the switch barrel concept hasn't stuck with me. To each his own.

My "low end" gun is a Baikal 20" double trigger 12ga. Its a solid piece with beech stocks, and a decent value for the $. It does what I need, and I suspect the Handi- does what others desire or need. Its about choices.....

Boolit Master

yes high, but they are great shooters and easy to carry in the field. I only have one but glad I bought it.

Boolit Master
    Why do AR15s or Parkers or HKs cost so much? I have a few No.1 s and will never have too many. It's a really nice firearm at a decent price, I never felt I paid too much for one. I could have bought 2 No.1 s with scopes for what I paid for an AR10T once. The AR is worth every penny and I don't think I paid too much for it either once I found the bullet it likes and it shoots groups just about caliber diameter.
    It's a personal preference.

Banned

im sure part of the reason is that ruger has just as many machines and people on the #1 assembly lines as they do on 77s and proably sell 25 77s to ever #1 they sell.

I have a No 1 in 45/70 - nice piece of wood on it, shoots tiny groups. I can adjust to extract or eject. It is all steel and walnut, not plasic, 'hardwood', and a shotgun type action.

I do have a handi in .223. It shoots nice and I do not regret getting it. But it sure ain't as purty as my No 1!.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    I believe that they are more expensive to build, both labor and parts, even a nice piece of walnut costs money these days. The plastic ARs, I'm not so sure about.

Boolit Master
    I realize they are not even in the same class as things such as a Handi. They are beautiful rifles and I am not ripping on them in any way, except I wont ever be able to afford one

Boolit Master
    They are nice, and if you look at Lyman #49, it tells you that these are strong actions for a 45/70. A stronger action is part of the price.

Boolit Buddy
    $895.00 sounds awfully high to me, maybe it is the caliber. There is a 7MM mag on gun broker now for $650.00 which is a d**n sight better than $900.00. A 7 MM in a #1 will kick the daylights out of you though. I'll never own another one. Shop shows. I've seen them at Houston gun shows for $550.00 up. As to why so high, have you looked around at other dealers and or gun shows?
    DHB

The 280 is less common. 895 is the start price for new ones in my area. Ruger has a habit or making a run of calibers one week then switching to another with the #1.
    I like them because I shoot left handed and hate finding a rifle with the bolt on the wrong side.

Boolit Master
    Every one I have had, has been worth it!

Maybe I had to scratch a bit harder, dig a little deeper, but as said, worth it.

Better then average wood, class looks, Strong as a bank vault.

As long as I am able to think about such things, I'll remember sitting on the hill side in SE Wasingtion during elk season with my first #1B - 7mm mag. That would have been in the early 70s.

Didn't get an elk that year, although that rifle put down my first elk, but sitting there with that beautiful rifle on my lap, a dream come true.

Yep, worth dream'in about an work'in for!

Now, a RUGER #1s - 45/70 and 4 critters down with my own cast boolits, including one elk Worth every cent and the wait!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Banned

ill give this an amen. theres just something about a nice looking gun when hunting and they dont come no prettier then a #1!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Every one I have had, has been worth it!

Maybe I had to scratch a bit harder, dig a little deeper, but as said, worth it.

Better then average wood, class looks, Strong as a bank vault.

As long as I am able to think about such things, I'll remember sitting on the hill side in SE Wasingtion during elk season with my first #1B - 7mm mag. That would have been in the early 70s.

Didn't get an elk that year, although that rifle put down my first elk, but sitting there with that beautiful rifle on my lap, a dream come true.

Yep, worth dream'in about an work'in for!

Now, a RUGER #1s - 45/70 and 4 critters down with my own cast boolits, including one elk Worth every cent and the wait!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger actions are worth what they are charging. They are still good quality firarms that are finished correctly and made well. No one else makes a single shot rifle of that quality for that price.
    Now there is no love lost between me and Ruger, let me assure you. I think they took their barrel making skills and threw them out the window in favor of cheap production so no matter what model you get, your accuracy will be terrible to fair. Every now and then you can get lucky and find an accurate one, or you find one that was made back before QC went to schite. The cheapest after market barrels will tighten the pattern on any ruger product. If your $1000 #1 is shooting 1" @100, then you can certainly get 1/2" with an aftermarket barrel. That's the big turn off for me with Ruger rifles. They are some of the prettiest pieces I have ever seen but you never know what your going to get in the accuracy dept, 'cause their barrels just plain suck rocks. Whats worse is, they know about the problem and dont stand behind the accuracy of their products either.
    If you pay $1000 for a brand new #1 and take it to the range and are unhappy that it will only shoot 2" groups @100yrds with any ammo you feed it, and you call up Ruger to see if they will warranty that gun and make it right, you will be informed that the rifle is guaranteed to shoot better than 4MOA and you are well within those limits. That's pitiful.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast