Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Spartan Single Shot 7.62x39

Banned

Remington Spartan Single Shot 7.62x39

I copied most of my post from another forum. Just purchased this rifle Saturday and would like to show it to you guys:

Net picture.

Gun show today, and came home with the imported Remington Spartan, from Baikal Russia. It is a single shot break open that looks much like a almost fancy rifle. Stainless looking receiver, hammer forged barrel with the external twist that actually looks better than the Ruger 10/22 Target with the twist. Mine is in 7.62 X 39 Russian and came with an inexpensive scope mounted for $250.00/new. It has checkering that is functional but not terrific, the action is very solid to open or close with a lever at the trigger guard. A surprising feature I didn't notice till I read the manual is a cocked or uncocked indicator than pops up or down on the receiver tang. This is an inexpensive rifle and I wouldn't hand the seller the money until he took the trigger lock and I tried the pull. I told him I wouldn't buy it if the pull was horrible as I stood there with cash in my left hand. He obliged. Pull wasn't horrible, A little creep, then crisp about 3.5 lbs.

I brought it home and immediately cleaned, lubed and slugged the bore to check groove to groove diameter left on a slug. It measured half a line less than .311" on my Starrett micrometer. That Russian caliber has a reputation for running all over the place. I had expected it to be bigger but am happier with .311" I only shoot cast bullets and have several molds that throw bullets large enough to gas check and size to .312" I scoped the bore and the finish was also better than I expected. It isn't mirror perfect like my Colt/Sauer but the finish looked honed and no turning marks or chatter were visible the length of the bore. My experience says this bore will like cast bullets and will never taste copper.

Sport open sight rear is screw adjustable for windage and front adjusts for elevation. Metal finish on barrel is superb, receiver also. Trigger is broad and smooth about 5/16 inch wide. with a cross trigger button safety. The opening lever actually cocks the internal hammer and takes a hefty squeeze but it has a dual finger curve that is easy to grip. The muzzle is more than a simple crown, it has an additional bevel also of about 30 degrees by 1/8 inch. That is a good touch rarely seen on American firearms, and very practical for protecting muzzles.

Worst feature of the Spartan is the stock finish. I could smooth wood gun stocks, stain and finish them better when I was in 5th grade. I will likely re-work the stock, that is no big deal for me personally as I have finished very many stocks professionally.-- Retired!

I actually went to the gun show looking for a throw in my Jeep .308, maybe an inexpensive sporterized Mauser. There were some at the show, but the prices were perverted and bores horrible.

The 7.62 X 39 Russian is one of those cartridges that is loadable with full capacity/compressed loads and lead bullets with at least 2 different powders and not be any where near high pressure with those specific powders. That is something that is a big plus for bullet casters like me--no ignition problems requiring fillers that large capacity cartridges sometimes require for good ignition with cast bullet loads.

Just ordered new dies, Lee Cutter Stud and brass. It will be a while before I shoot it, But I'd be really be surprised if there is any problems.

Any body else have a Spartan? Some internet snooping on this model says it is made to Remington standards unlike the identical looking Biakal rifles that are not marketed as Remington imports with the Remington logo and that the Spartan has much more attention to metal fit/finish.-- but obviously not the wood!

I can tell you that in searching the net, that there are Canadian videos 2 years old of the lower grade blued receiver and non checkered stock Biakal single shot rifle that do not have the
    Remington logo.The gun show today in N. Tonawanda, NY had 2 dealers with the stainless receiver Remington Spartan IZH18MN with the checkered stock and scope package.I just learned the Spartan is imported by USSG ROCKLRDGE, FL.and importation is spotty. Double rifle versions are also available in 45/70 and a few other calibers.

My Midway order for loading stuff is expected the 24th. I'm waiting to get shootin.

I did remove the butt stock today to look at the action. The trigger return spring is a stout leaf type spring and held with a single screw. I didn't want to bend the spring to lighten the trigger pull, but it's retention screw was long enough that I removed it and placed a 3/64" thick spacer washer under the spring and that lightened the trigger pull to less than 3#. The creep is still there. There was gunky factory oil and grit in the action and I cleaned it out thoroughly and lubed the action with my favorite mix of non migrating Stop Leak oil, Slick 50 and Marvel mystery oil, 1:1:1

The action is smoother and it smells better too!

A little work was put into the stock as well. The crude checkering with no finish in it just looked way too raw. I brushed Old English staining scratch filler into it and it sucked it in so the checkering, at least, doesn't show raw wood. After that dried I gave the whole stock 4 coats of the old reliable Johnson Paste Wax and it filled the open finish of the wood pretty well and shined up nice. The whole rifle looks more expensive now. I'm a lot happier with it's appearance.

I did find reference from Biakal that the bore on this rifle is chrome lined.

Finished cleanup and used my homeboy bore polishing method with a Hoppe's .30 Cal Boresnake and chrome polish. I drop the Boresnake cord through till the rope starts then fill the chamber with chrome polish and take 10 pull throughs. That is repeated 6 times for 60 pull throughs with polishing. Then another 20 pulls without adding any more polishing paste. Yes the bore is really chrome lined. I wish my focus had more depth to show the sharpness of the rifling, but it is quite nice, sharp and polished full length. The rifling is 4 lands/grooves. I do this bore polishing with every new firearm I have purchased since the Bore Snake hit the market and I believe the polishing completely eliminates any need for the breaking in a barrel chore at the range.

MY RIFLE:

Some pix of the Remington Spartan:

You can see the color I added to the checkering and the many coats of Johnson Paste wax helped a bit for the looks of the wood.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.
    Last edited by onondaga; 01-17-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Gary, I don't know how the chrome bore will work with cast boolits as I have no experience with that combination.

As with most things Russian, Baikal guns are generally utility grade. They don't look great but where it counts they are well done and as tough as a T-34 tank. Over the years I've owned more than half a dozen Baikal shotguns with two in my possession at the moment. They have all been excellent performers.

I'd be interested in knowing how your particular rifle shoots so please update your post when you've had a chance to use it.

I have one of these, but it is a .410 bore with a vent rib, same action.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Master
    I've been looking to find one of these for a while, but never seem to find them at shows or shops.

Neat gun, and for the price, if it shoots, nothing at all to complain about!
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

For the Westerners, Big 5 does/did sell the Spartan shotguns and "I think" the rifles. When they're on sale the price isn't completely out of line.

Nice score, here's the link to my rifle and what I have done to it:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=73872
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

Banned

Te Hopo:

Thanks for the link to your post. I see you have used a pretty short scope. I had to take what came on the rifle but I plan to get a short scope as the mounting area is very limited and the longer scope on my rifle comes too far back for me..

The trigger has me a little bugged. I removed the return spring again to lube under it and lube the hammer sear. The parts just didn't re-assemble the same and my trigger pull got heavier . I will have to fuss with that some more.

Gary

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I see the rings are necessarily too close together due to the short mounting area. An option would be to D&T the top and use a Weaver type base, or possibly, a Picatinny rail.

That rifle in 7.62x39 intrigues me, but that SHORT NECK might be problematic. I would be curious to see what the throat and leade look like. If it doesn't seen to be cast friendly, a 30-40 Krag reamer will take care of it.

Banned

excess650:

I have got my eye on a one piece scope base adapter that will fit this rifle's grooved receiver top and it has wider spaced ring ability:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=185985
    It may need a little trimming at the front, but I will get it to work.

A number of members here have had great results with the 7.62X39 and cast bullets. I have a Leemented 150 gr. flatnose mold that drops 158 gr bullets at .313" and will size and gas check them to .312". I also have the Lee TL mold that was designed for the 7.62X39 and it drops 174 gr gas check bullets at .314" and those will be gas checked sized to .312", So I think I have a couple of decent choices in bullets for the rifle and plan to seat bullets to just touch the lands. The gas checks fit and crimp very tight on both of those bullets. That has worked with other single shot break open and falling block rifles for me. There is no magazine length limit for LOA with single shot break open rifles, so I've got high hopes.

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 01-18-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I'm thinkin' you need to try the Saeco #315. Its a tapered design and weighs right at 175gr with GC & lube.

The problem with these rifles is they're not set up for a scope mounted too high, I got around it by drilling and tapping where the dove tail is and fitting a weaver rail allowing me to use low rings.
    I have updated my thread here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...4&postcount=26
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

Banned

excess650:

Oh, I'd like that Saeco #315 ! But alas, I haven't even got Saeco handles. I have quite a mold collection, but all Lee, Lyman, RCBS and Shiloh. I'll make due. Thanks.

Gary

Banned

Te Hopo:

Looks like you got some nice versatility improvements on your rifle. I plan to make a leather cheek piece for eye alignment similar to the Palma with a bag and add shell loops too.Did you check the link in my reply #9. That base will work with a variety of scope lengths. I will have to trim under the front of the Trueglow base to fit where the grooves in the receiver stop, but I rather trim a mount than drill the rifle. I do have an assortment of high, medium and low rings. My favorite scope mounting is the Deadnutz one piece that I have on several of my rifles, but it is not available for the Remington Spartan.

The Truglow base adapter I'm referring you to has some good height to it. The multiple screw retention looks sturdy too. I bet medium rings would clear a big scope because of the height of the base. The bore center to scope center distance with the setup I have now measures 1.8 inches. That is really a high number to run in the ballistic chart software and effects bullet path relative to line of sight more than I prefer, so I hope my new mount can be less, and use low rings with a 2-7x 32 short scope.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by onondaga View Post
    Looks like you got some nice versatility improvements on your rifle. I plan to make a leather cheek piece for eye alignment similar to the Palma with a bag and add shell loops too.Did you check the link in my reply #9. That base will work with a variety of scope lengths. I will have to trim under the front of the Trueglow base to fit where the grooves in the receiver stop, but I rather trim a mount than drill the rifle. I do have an assortment of high, medium and low rings. My favorite scope mounting is the Deadnutz one piece that I have on several of my rifles, but it is not available for the Remington Spartan.

The Truglow base adapter I'm referring you to has some good height to it. The multiple screw retention looks sturdy too. I bet medium rings would clear a big scope because of the height of the base. The bore center to scope center distance with the setup I have now measures 1.8 inches. That is really a high number to run in the ballistic chart software and effects bullet path relative to line of sight more than I prefer, so I hope my new mount can be less, and use low rings with a 2-7x 32 short scope.

Gary
    Sounds good mate, a lot of guys here in NZ are chopping these rifles down to make compact pack rifles and the general consensus for mounting scopes is to use one of the one piece rings/base clamp mounts like this which might work for you seeing as your gonna be using a cheek piece:
    – P. J. O’Rourke

Banned

Te Hopo:

I searched the Ronnie Sunshines Hawk one piece, These look adequate, but not available in USA . Although they are designed and marketed as airgun scope mounts they appear substantial. I think the Trueglow base I'm interested in will allow a more forward positioning of a scope. There are also some Picatinny to V groove base adapters that are even longer than the Trueglow, but I'm weary of that much cantilever.

Example:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=563030

However, the spacing of the retention screws on the Trueglow unit look more usable for at least 3 screws to function and secure the base.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Gary

Boolit Master
    Would the chrome lined bore make a difference if one was to rechamber one of these rifles? I have seriously considered buying one for a knock about gun, but I would want to rechamber it and have shied away because of the bore. I heard that it is not necessarily good to rechamber the barrel because of the chrome lining. BS or is there some truth to it? Thanks, Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Banned

Billy:

You got me on that one. You might get a variety of answers in our "Gunsmithing Tips and Tricks" forum. Personally, re-chambering a chrome lined barrel doesn't give me a concern. It is not a separate tube that is going to come loose in there. The chrome is electroplated after the barrel is bored, rifled and polished. the bond of chrome electroplating is at the molecular level and quite tenacious. The Military does this to resist wear in the bore, chrome is much more wear resistant than steel and the stuff doesn't just blow off in chunks even if it is damaged. Plus it is harder to damage than steel. The NEF Ultra rifles are great, I have one with several barrels and the NEF barrels are not chrome lined. Check those out, their new laminated thumb hole stock model is trick. Additional barrels come in a wide variety also:

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

Their barrel service and free trigger jobs are outstanding. Maybe they have the caliber you want instead of re-chambering.

Gary

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I know all about the Handi's. Still have plenty to learn about making them shoot better, but I like them. This is currently my favorite, in 225 Win and a 204 Ruger barrel. Several others as well. But they do not offer a 311 bore, and they have a hammer. I'm interested in the hammerless look. Or hidden hammer if you prefer. The only thing I have similar is the Ruger #1, and I'm not much for leaving it in the truck or dragging it through the brush.

I like 22's mainly though, but the only chambering I have seen in the Spartan/Baikal is .223 which does nothing for me. If I could rechamber to 222 Mag or something bigger without trouble, I'd consider one. Thanks, Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Banned

BCall

Sharp Handi. If you do the usual accurizing on the Handi, Full clearance barrel float, "O" ring on the forearm screw between barrel and stock, trigger job, and butt stock hole weight, there is still benching the rifle. That sling swivel stud will catch the front bag. Try losing it. Also hone the bore as I discussed, Handi bores are usually coarse and all the smooth you can get helps. The Deadnutz one piece scope mount makes a difference too.

A 3/4 inch copper plumbing pipe section filled with bullet alloy and sitting in the butt hole of that rifle is not for recoil, it is for old school stability at the bench and well worth it in group size when you are not pulling against a heavy trigger, my trigger pull is 2 lb 6 oz. and all up rifle weight with my laminate factory Ultra stock is 11 lbs 2 oz shooting sub 1/2 MOA in .223 Rem and sub MOA in 500 S&W Mag.

My hunting setup with the .500 S&W and alternate varmint stock; butt compartment of this stock is weighted severely with bird shot topped with Silly Putty. Note the Deadnutz scope mount. The neck shot hole under the ear was put there at 120 yards intentionally. Also note the swivel stud on this varmint style forearm is on the end of the forearm.

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 01-19-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Bcall, I know of one Spartan that was re-chambered from 7.62x39 to .303 British and it worked great!
    So I think there should be no problem getting a .223 reamed out to something like .222Magnum.
    You just have to remember these are all built on the same action which goes up to .30-06, so even reaming it out for a bigger .22 such as .22-250 shouldn't be a problem.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast