Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Presses

Boolit Master

Shotgun Presses

Which press would be better for someone who has never loaded shotshells, the Load All 2 or the MEC 600Jr. I was also looking at the RCBS Mini Grand single stage, and I like it and may consider it too, but they only sell the Lee's and maybe the MEC's at BPS. I would be loading 2 3/4 as well as 3in 20ga shells. Buckshot and reg shot and maybe slugs. Thanks guys!!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Buddy
    I can only comment on the Lee Load All, its very easy to use and pretty idiot proof. It isnt as sturdy as MEC presses are but for the price you can hardly beat them. I know a few guys that poo-poo them but that is usually to make them feel better about themselves for paying a lot more for a different press. Now, if you decide that you like loading shotgun shells and want to move a little quicker, sell your Lee after you have gotten some use out of it an move into a more premium press. I havent gotten to that point yet and am still on my Lee that I got on Craigslist for $50 (for two presses one in 12g and one in 20g), a buttload of hulls and some wads. Look on C-list, ebay, and the for sale section here, there are occasional Lees for sale.
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Ariska,
    I have a MEC 9000 Grabber, it is the best thing since sliced bread, the only thing better would be a Ponsness Warren. Saw a couple of them at the last gun show for around $650.00. Probably not a bad price for them as they were like brand new and they are made to last forever!! But the MEC serves me well and i can't complain..
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

The MEC 600jr. is hard to beat for a basic single stage press. There are a lot of used ones around that can be had for the right price if you're in the right place at the right time. I'm 57 and have one that we have been loading on since we were teenagers. All I ever load is 2 3/4 in. shells and you can load them pretty hot with blue dot so I never shoot 3in. but it does those too.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I like the MECs myself. I had a couple of LEEs and I can't fault them. Bonus points go to the MECs for the available vernier/micometer adjustable charge bars and the swapable crimp starters that are full floating,also the adjustable finish crimp.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I would go with a gently used MEC. Also, after reading your other post, if you go looking for shotgun hulls, don't pick-up any that may have been out in the rain or the base wad may have damaged.

between the two,I'd go Mec...next time.
    My Lee has served me well,but it's very hard to change bushings,you have to empty the hoppers,and the bushings always are 'light' compared to what they are supposed to throw.
    the mec also has an aftermarket adj. charge bar that I'd think is the cats meow.
    Get one kind of hull and use the recipe for it,alll hulls are not alike. I actually like the cheaper 'gun club' hulls,they crimp great and can be had for next to nothing.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The 600 JR is probably the best single stage made. It does come with a few problems such as it does not size the brass head of the hull. I have never met a reloader that does not use hulls they find or buy and that is your problem. You end up having to purchase a sizer also. Your best bet if you are going to shoot more than 12 boxes a year is to purchase a Mec Sizemaster. They sell for around $275 new but I purchased mine about 4 yrs ago off flea bay for $75. It has served me well loading my hulls for SASS. If you purchase any Mec don't use the stock bars and bushings unless you only want to shoot one load. The after market has a adjustable bar for $40 that works for all loads. You can find hulls for less than a nickel a piece. Lots of fun.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    i have a Mec 600 ( Before it was a junior LOL) from my Dad,Simple as stone axe and as rugged. All the newer parts (charge bars etc) fit it. Get a used one cheap.

Boolit Master

I let this go a few days to see where it went. Bottom line start with a manual press and good to great data. when you get there. Start with good data and move to a progressive like the MEC. It's a great press, but it has a bite. If you have the wrong data it hurts.......
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Bottom line you are young.......Start where most did......The bottom! Do it right and go from there! We all started out and progressed, but we all knew nothing and learned from there. Good luck and learn from others. I don't have a clue, and I'm learning as we speak......
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master
    The Mec 600 Jr. or older 600 would be a good "first" press.

I like my Pacific 366 ...... now Hornady 366 progressive.

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy
    Unless your MEC 600 Jr. is missing the sizing ring, it does resize the metal case head. Just be sure you don't crush the rim. About a nickel's width from bottoming out on the decapper/ resizer station is the recommended adjustment. It is the MEC 650 model that has no sizer. Best Wishes, Bud
    Last edited by BudRow; 12-27-2010 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Added info

Boolit Man
    I paid forty bucks for the Lee and it has produced thousands of shells for me without a problem. Yes, you have to read the instructions, but I have no complaints. Check your powder and shot drops: you can even go with a larger bushing, then line the bushing with painter's tape to adjust the drop. Not as easy as micrometer adjustment, but perfect if you load the same thing over and over. Also good for slugs, etc. Fast enough to load a couple of boxes without killing the whole evening. I would whine about it if it gave me reason but it hasn't.

Boolit Master

When I first started reloading shotshells many years ago I got a MEC, loved the machine, ran great and made great shells.

I got out of shooting sports for about a decade or a little more due to financial issues and sold off all of my equipment and firearms.

When I got back into it I purchased the Lee to load skeet shells for my wife's shotgun, we do not go skeet shooting often so the press is good enough for my needs. I also load slugs and other loads for family.

If you are shooting shotguns alot get a MEC, if you are shooting low volumes of shells the Lee will do, and you can always move up if you feel the need.

I just got a Load All 2 in 12 guage for Christmas with the conversion kit for 20 guage.I can't wait to learn on it.I figure I can always upgrade if I start to load alot.I would honestly love to learn to make an accurate slug load for my sluggun so I won't have to keep paying $3 a piece for SST's! It's killing me!
    Preserve Wildlife,,,,use freezer bags!

Boolit Master
    I've got two MEC 600's, one set up for target loads, one set up for heavy field loads. I also use a Lee Loadall for the slug loads, it is very handy for that for both the Lyman and the Lee moulds, also I use it to drop powder on the sabot loads in 3" hulls, before I set the sabot and .50 caliber boolit and roll crimp on a drill press. They are handy to have around. They are not the machine the MEC is though for loading a lot of rounds and holding up.

Boolit Master

you said you load several loads and different shells go with the 600 and get the adjustable bar that way you can do any load

My vote is for the 600 jr for volumn loading. If you load more than one gauge think really hard about separate presses, they are a royal PITA to convert and adjust and a complete press in a new gauge isn't that much more than than a conversion kit. I have three of them, 12, 20, and 410, and the floating crimp head is great and comes with both 6 and 8 fold starters which change out in seconds. And as BudRow said they DO size the brass head if set right.
    Ignorence killed the cat---Curiosity was framed.

Friday Jones

Boolit Buddy
    There is a thread in Casting For Shotguns entitled "Want to start shotshell reloading". I read the title and thought "I want to stop shotshell reloading"
    Sadly financial constraints mean I will have to continue . I bought a 12 gauge MEC 600 Junior Mk2 in 1987 and it has been in continuous use ever since . I don't shoot as much as I used to , but still need about 500 a month . I conservatively estimate this press has loaded around 200,000 rounds with no repairs needed other than a new powder bottle . I say new but mean replacement. A plastic turpentine bottle was found to have the same thread so I used it instead of buying a new one . Cut a hole in the bottom to take the plug .
    A few years ago I bought another one in 20 gauge plus a conversion kit to do the few 410s I use.
    MEC gets my vote .