Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 1894 44! how accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    your doing better then me. The best 94 i had woud do about 4 inch at a 100 and my P will only do about 6 and thats on a good day. It is a very finiky gun and if it werent so cute and handy it would have gone done the road long ago. Ive just come to only take it out when i know the hunting range wont be past 50 yards. Like ranch dog said heavys are the way to go in it. With lighter bullets its lucky to stay on the paper at 50 yards.
    Well Lloyd Smale it was a long darn road to get mine to even shoot down in the 2 1/2 inch range at 100 yards. I mean hundreds of rounds trying. The best I found were the 300 Gr class of Boolits pushed hard.

I tried a 300Gr TCP/GC that would do 2 Inches at 100 yards but due to the small meplate I did not go with them since I planned to hunt with it. So I settled on the Lee 430-310Gr RNFP/GC sized at .432 with 21.0 Gr of W-296 in a Rem case and a CCI Large Pistol primer not the Mag as it does not normally get cold enough down here to need a mag primer.

And unlike you Lloyd Smale I just was not confident enough to use the rifle to hunt with since most of my shots start at 100 to 150 yards so in the end I traded the Marlin 1894SS in .44 Mag for a Marlin 336 CB in 38-55 and trying to work with that one at this time.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    This will be the dumbest question ever asked on this Forum do be easy on this old Canuck. Are those feral hogs suitible for eating or not? We obviously don't have them up here so I just got to ask.

Take Care

Bob
    The sows and young ones are really tasty.The mature boars stink to high heaven when they are being cooked.You can eat them but you will only cook them inside the house once.

Boolit Master
    Shucks. Piggy..... the other other other white meat. Hogs are guud, mmmkk? A trap full of piggys is like a day with sunshine. Its all good! Michael got my 44 mag lined out with his round. I too tried the lee 430 300gr'nr with dismal results. Ya gotta have at least .432 diamater to work well. Mine is currently shooting around the 2moa range. Good nuff for 200 yard shooting. Zeroed at 100 leaves me 4" high at 50 and 16 inches low at 200.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by dgslyr View Post
    The sows and young ones are really tasty.The mature boars stink to high heaven when they are being cooked.You can eat them but you will only cook them inside the house once.
    Good Gosh ain't that the truth. And don't think for a second you ever need to age that pork in the bottom drawer of your fridge for a couple of days either.

I'm not crazy about eating wild hog meat unless, as you typed, they are the young ones. I might take the tenderloin out of the older ones and do something with it from time to time ... but the rest I usually leave for the possums and yotes and buzzards.

They are a pain in our **** down here. Really, in all honesty, worse than the yotes. We are allowed to hunt them at night down here just like we would any other varmint species.
    What you think about you do ... what you do, you become.

Sounds like I need to go on a road trip before they put me under the grass. I'll bet they are fun shoots.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I have a handful of good 44 molds but the Lyman 429640 Devastator is the most accurate in any gun I've tried. When sized to .429 it will shoot touching groups at 50 yards in my '73 1894 Octagon using a Skinner peep sight.

Keep moving forward!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AKtinman View Post
    Last weekend I found a gently used 1894 Cowboy Limited 20” at a gun show and it came home with me.

This will be fun!
    Yes, it WILL be fun! I have 2 of the 24" octagon versions and one of the 20". I cannot possibly say enough good about them. The scoped 24" version is my 'main' huntin' rifle, the 20" is my 'truck gun'. But the peep sighted 24" version is my *go to* gun 24/7, 365 Because of that it has spent more time on the trail, more time on the range and more time taking game than most of my other rifles put togather.

Boolit Buddy
    44 flattop:

I had some initial disappointment with this rifle as it jammed on just about anything I fed it. After taking it apart and doing some of the mods suggested on this and other forums, it feeds near 100% now.

Last weekend I cast up some of the Ranch Dog 265’s and have them on the bench ready to load. The NEI/SSK 285 grain is too long for the Magnum case, but feeds fine from the Special case - but that doesn’t leave much powder room. The LBT LFN functions well through the action, but is likely a bit small in diameter.

An older Leupold Compact 2.5x scope was installed, and a few rounds fired at 30 yards for a quick sight-in from the front porch. Ammo used was 429360 over 13.5gr 2400 in the .44 Special case, which is very accurate from my 24-3. Five rounds into a ragged hole shows promise. BTW these rounds jammed on the SWC shoulder during feeding, but were what I had on hand at the time.

I’m thinking the Ranch Dog 265 will be just the ticket in this gun.

This rifle replaced a 1895 Guide Gun, which I sold because of the ports. I liked it and it shot the LBT 350 grainer well, but the darn ports were too hard on my hearing. No problem at the range, but off the tractor or ATV without ear protection, and one shot was just too painful.

Boolit Buddy
    AKtinman

I understand the 265 Ranch Dog is a good boolit. I don't happen to have one but I do have about 30 others from Lyman, RCBS, NEI, SSK, etc. I'm sure you'll have good luck with it.

Of my three .44 Marlin Cowboys, 2 feed anything. One does have a bit of a problem from time to time feeding SWC's from .44 special cases. It seems to be getting better as it is shot more.

If you ever want a really nice feeding bullet and load, try to find a 429640 and load it in a .44 special case with 15 1/2grs of AA#9. The accuracy is fantastic!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Do those Ranch Dawgs work well in the 444? I have both, the 1894 in 44Mag and a recent 444 with Ballard rifling (1 in 20 I think from memory). My mate bought a 30cal Ranch Dog mopuld recently and it works a treat!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Ive had a couple of older model 1894s that werent fussy about ammo but the newer model seems to be more difficult to load for. You will have to experiment some. I did find that the original 200 gr FN type 44 WCF bullet gave nearly one hole accuracy at 50 yards when loaded to 1300-1400 fps. The 38 inch twist was designed for that bullet. I use a 6x24 power scope to develop loads and could watch that load go into a tight group. The 300 gr bullets were good for 50 yards but were tumbling at 100 yards. I would stick to 200-265 gr bullets that will feed properly. Just my .02.

Sure wish I could find a "P" model - hint

sb
    sb

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shootingbuff View Post
    Sure wish I could find a "P" model - hint
    Heh heh! I know where there is one, been trying to dicker the fellow out of it, probably less than 50 rounds through it. Problem is, he wants me to trade an original Ruger 44 Flattop back to him for it, straight across, that I swapped him out of years ago. And he won't budge.

Boolit Man
    IMO you can't go wrong with the RD 265. Turned my 1894S into my first choice to grab gun. Was my mini14 with 69gr semi spitz jwords. The little Marlin with the 265gr hits with MUCH more authority than the 223 and is just as handy for snap shots.
    With a full load of 296 or H110 the marlin will do under 2 inches at 100yds from a rest and I can bust clay birds all day at 200yds with a little up adjustment of my front sight.
    I found that I need to mike the middle of the boolit to sort out any undersize, thats because I run 2 or 3 molds at a time and if I get side tracked the mold cools pretty quick.

Used the 265 on a couple of does this year out of my SRH 9.5, they literaly smack when they hit.
    Coyotes, dogs, cats and groundhogs don't like them either.

I'm itchin to try the RD300gr this year. Not sure why, I don't need it. I do like the looks of it though.

Of the 15 or 20 molds I have, Ranch dogs has been 1 of 3 that I haven't had to lap out. This includes older and new molds.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by 44 flattop View Post
    Heh heh! I know where there is one, been trying to dicker the fellow out of it, probably less than 50 rounds through it. Problem is, he wants me to trade an original Ruger 44 Flattop back to him for it, straight across, that I swapped him out of years ago. And he won't budge.

Wekk that is what you get for teasing me and more than not getting the best of the deal won the flattop
    sb

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    Ive had a couple of older model 1894s that werent fussy about ammo but the newer model seems to be more difficult to load for. You will have to experiment some. I did find that the original 200 gr FN type 44 WCF bullet gave nearly one hole accuracy at 50 yards when loaded to 1300-1400 fps. The 38 inch twist was designed for that bullet. I use a 6x24 power scope to develop loads and could watch that load go into a tight group. The 300 gr bullets were good for 50 yards but were tumbling at 100 yards. I would stick to 200-265 gr bullets that will feed properly. Just my .02.
    I think You're right about the 200 gr. FN type 44 WCF and the 1-38 twist, years ago I had an older gun that wouldn't shoot ANYTHING over a 200 grain, and even at that, it was iffy. I still would like to find a gently used Marlin, and have it barreled with a 1-18 twist so I could use lower velocity rounds in it and still have decent groups.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12