RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: barrels

barrels

i may have stumbled onto a badger halfoct/half round in 45 cal. 1 in 18 twist and 34 inch long. here is the question...is this badger so much better then the green mountain barrels? i know badger has some good barrels but are they worth twice the price of green mountains barrels?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Badgers are more dependable on the interior finish than a Green mt.
    Green Mt doens't offer half and half, and it's quite a stretch to call Badgers twice as high priced.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

don...the badger i found IS twice the price of the greenmountains i find on track of the wolf. i just wondered if the badger is worth the extra price is all. i havnt for real priced these barrels and the availability of them...maybe this barrel is being pricejacked so this is the reasson for asking the question......and yes i do like the half-n-half style barrel but i could also see having one that is a plain taper like the winchester #4 barrel contour.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Might want to compare the prices on Badger between Track and Baco.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In old lingo:

"You don't buy a good barrel! You find a good barrel!"

And I'll put Shiloh barrels up against any of 'em!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    Very true:

Yet barrel makers can often tell a Hummer from a soo soo barrel when its being made.

KW
    The Lunger

I will put my Hell B---h Rifle against anyone at 200 yards to a Mile.

Boolit Master
    I've had quite a few Badgers and never a bad one, yes they are worth spending more, I just don't know how much longer we will be able to get them!!

Boolit Master

I just wonder if someone isn't gouging on that Badger barrel because the firm has been sold and the new guys are concentrating on the military (money) market. The difference wasn't all that much at one time.
    Two years back, Wyoming Armory was redoing a Ballard for me and they had trouble finding a Badger barrel, but that was in the middle of the transition.
    Does Shiloh sell their barrels separately?

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Bub
    Just received (mid-Dec.) my C. Sharps after having them re-barrel it in 40-70 SS. Before sending the rifle to them, I had read an article that said Badgers were no longer available so I called Badger and Ernie said..."so does that mean I should not send this new shipment to John?" (meaning a just completed order for some barrels). I requested and got a 1:16 twist. The cost of the barrel itself was along the same lines that BACO asks for theirs. Of course there was also chambering and and other things that added to the total cost of the barrel re-do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 41wyom View Post
    Just received (mid-Dec.) my C. Sharps after having them re-barrel it in 40-70 SS. Before sending the rifle to them, I had read an article that said Badgers were no longer available so I called Badger and Ernie said..."so does that mean I should not send this new shipment to John?" (meaning a just completed order for some barrels). I requested and got a 1:16 twist. The cost of the barrel itself was along the same lines that BACO asks for theirs. Of course there was also chambering and and other things that added to the total cost of the barrel re-do.
    So Ernie is still working there! He was the owner as I understood it before the sale.
    I guess that is sort of like having your cake and eating it to. But that means that they are trying to make sure the barrels are still high quality.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Shiloh does not sell just barrels.

They have enough trouble making plenty for the guns they make I gather!

The Lunger

KW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    Shiloh does not sell just barrels.

They have enough trouble making plenty for the guns they make I gather!

The Lunger

KW
    That is kinda what I thought.
    Good barrel making is more about the guy running the equipment than the equipment. My shooting buddy spent a fair amount of time at Bill Large's shop back when he was alive. His SIL tried making barrels after Bill passed and he didn't last to long in the business. My buddy still has a stash of Bill's barrels in the rafters of his basement. Probably a better investment that stocks at this point in time.

Bob

if your refering to the bill large that lived in springfield oregon,,,i knew him personally and what a grand ol fella he was. Milly his wife was a hoot as well. he is sorely missed and the rainy afternoons that i spent spinning thoughts with him will be in my memorie for ever. even when id come up with a largley stupid idea...he would just take it in stride and explain in a respectfull way how and why it wouldnt work or who had already done so and why it did work.

ah heck...even if this is a different fella..thanks for the memorie

Boolit Master

Not the same guy. This Bill Large lived in Ironton OH. Similar guy though from what my buddy said. His barrels are legendary with the ML gang in this area.

Bob