MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 92 of 408 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 8145

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Bub
    Good to see my favorite thread is alive and kicking, Merry Christmas gentlemen!

Did not read all the posts on this thread but, the information that I read about the oldtimers said they used stale urine to wet the black powder to the point where when compressed in the hand into a ball then twisted in half, it would hold together in a clump. Then it was scrubbed on a screen. Made some BP about four years ago testing it on a brick burning little piles of it to see how fast it was. used Dextrin to help hold it together. Stored about 3/4 cup in a green vitamin pill bottle. Checked it a couple days ago and the clumps were the same seemingly. No dust. Didn't shoot any in my muzzleloader. You could tell the the finished powder burned much slower than the unscreened did. The powder with no urine seemed to burn faster as well. Not a very scientific report. Here is a hint; If one needs powder to be dryer, maybe use dissicant bags to wick out the moisture. ( The little "Do not Eat" thingys in the pill bottles.)

Boolit Master
    That's one I never heard. I do not know were you read that but it is BS. This kind of stuff needs to be deleated. I,m sorry & not trying
    to be rude, but we are trying to teach people safe ways to make BP & not confuse them with folk lore.

Fly
    Last edited by Fly; 12-25-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    The stale urine thing is from the Foxfire books.
    I agree; the way we're doing it here is much better than any of the common methods everyone has read about.

Boolit Master

I remember reading that in some Buckskinner Magazine back in the 70s. In any case with quality Potassium Nitrate you shouldn't need it, not to mention the smell would be a little objectionable.
    Potassium Nitrate was gotten by using the dirt from under outhouse and running water through it and evaporating the water to get the nitrate. Here in KY Mammoth Cave was a major source of Potassium Nitrate for BP during the War of 1812. The bat iguana in the soil was the source. Some of the wood pipes that they used to pumped the water to the surface are still there.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Just judging by the number of posts I see, there is a lot of interest in making your own BP. I am interested & would like to try it but right now, I have too much other stuff on my plate. When & if the time comes, you can bet I will be very careful & follow all the safety precautions. I will close with a quote this reminds me of : "the most dangerous thing in the world is a bureaucrat that thinks he has a duty to protect the public", author unknown.

Boolit Grand Master

That Bureaucrat will tell you a million reasons why our ancestors all died of starvation because there was no WalMart next door. Or they died from eating lead in the meat they shot. Or that we're not smart enough to make BP with the knowledge gained since the 17th century. They even shed tears because she/it didn't win the election.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    That's one I never heard. I do not know were you read that but it is BS. This kind of stuff needs to be deleated. I,m sorry & not trying
    to be rude, but we are trying to teach people safe ways to make BP & not confuse them with folk lore.

Fly
    FYI My Father told me how my Grandfather made his blackpowder to win many turkey shoots with a ML that I still have possession of including the barrel and lock, not the stock. They would also turn over rotting logs to get the white stuff from the bottom (KNO3). Their methods are the basis of the knowledge that we have today with improved means of making Black Powder. Just because one hasn't heard or seen doesn't change the fact that it exists! I have 4 oz. of BP that was made with stale urine as the wetting agent to form the ball then corned through screen for granulation four years ago. It is still granulated with not dust and will still go bang.

Boolit Bub
    The 1958 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica mentions that in former times urine was used to dampen powder during milling, with the urine of wine drinkers being preferred. They did not suggest that the practice had any scientific value nor that it was part of modern powder making.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    FYI My Father told me how my Grandfather made his blackpowder to win many turkey shoots with a ML that I still have possession of including the barrel and lock, not the stock. They would also turn over rotting logs to get the white stuff from the bottom (KNO3). Their methods are the basis of the knowledge that we have today with improved means of making Black Powder. Just because one hasn't heard or seen doesn't change the fact that it exists! I have 4 oz. of BP that was made with stale urine as the wetting agent to form the ball then corned through screen for granulation four years ago. It is still granulated with not dust and will still go bang.
    It sounds like a comparison test should be done with the only difference being the wetting agent. Chrono testing should reveal the answer pretty quick.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I started reading this thread backwards from page 90. There is a certain logic to this; going from current 'state of the art', back thru the trials and tribulations of getting here. It didn't take long to realize I need a cup of coffee and a sandwich to work thru these. I have gone from 90 back to 77, and will need lots more coffee and sandwiches to finish.

I have a CVA 50 cal Mountain Stalker rifle I've never shot but my grandson did well enough to get an invite to the 4H nationals. Over time I have looked at other black powder sites on youtube....some scary, others interesting in show 'n tell way. None as safe and complete as this one.

I have a question for Fly; on other sites I have seen it mentioned using isopropyl alcohol as the wetting agent. I would think this would dry faster than water alone (eventhough it does contain water as a dilutant). If isopropyl can be used, could regular denatured alcohol, used to thin shelac, also be used since it does not contain water?

I may never make my own BP, but I find this thread interesting and compelling. At 73 years, I do still participate in the shooting sports, and this has opened up an all new area of interest. Never stand still, always keep learning. By the way, since I started reading here, two more pages have been added to this thread...

Boolit Master
    WOw I leave town for the holidays and this thread goes nuts over the urine thing. When I said
    I never heard that I was talking roll get meal powder wet with urine I in ones hand.

YEs I have know for years kno3 was made from urine in the old days.Great book to read
    Is never want for powder. DUring the civil war kno3 was minded from bat caves. THis book
    Tell the whole story about it. NOw for the ones that talk about the ole timers getting better
    Performance from wetting there powder with urine explain WHY?

IS it because it contains KNO3 ? IF so why not add more than 75 percent when you make it?
    THe admount in the small amount of urine would not amount to squat. THis is not my first
    Go around on this subject.

THe alky has no benefit other than the small amount of water. where alky comes from is
    In making screened powder with red gum for a binder. REd gum needs alky to activate it.

PLease let's not confuse people with old foke lore and confuse the new guys. NO need in trying
    To reinvent the wheel. I will not Argue with anyone on this form, so be leave as you wish.

I hope I explained so everyone under stands.

FLy
    Last edited by Fly; 12-27-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    SOrry for all the typos above. I.m at my daughters and using this dam lap top
    And I hate these things, FAt fingers.

FLy

Boolit Master

one or more dumb questions, my pucks turned out fine but seem to grind into powder awlful easy, they don't seem to be as hard as the ones that brushhippie busted with a hammer, mine even had some powder right away with the chunks after only a few hammer blows.

the powder takes longer to ignight with a match than the stuff right out of the tumbler but it has about 3 times the speed and oomph once it catches. have not tried it in a gun yet as I want to make sure I got the kinks worked out first.

Boolit Master
    ARe you misting your meal powder before you press? What ton press are you pressing with?

FLy

Boolit Master

adding just enough water that I get a small amount around the outside of your die, when I release the pressure it reabsorbs into the powder. its a 20 ton press, only leaving it in press for a few minutes as it was dang cold in the shop. first batch I had puddles of water around die so added more powder and got it to the just barely squeezing water out.

Boolit Master
    HOw long are you drying your pucks after pressings? ALso be sure to dry them in side this
    Time of year.

FLy

Boolit Master

been drying for almost 2 weeks inside and with the wood stove the humidity is low, temp is about 75 degrees

Boolit Master
    Stupid question on my part, but after misting your meal powder, are you mixing the water in with the powder real good.
    I mist my meal powder in a bowl & mix the water & meal powder as well as I can before pressing. I know it is about right when I can
    grab a handful & squeeze in my fist & it just sticks together. Sometimes it is just little stuff as that can be the problem.

Fly

Boolit Master

using a big sheet pan, spread the powder out and mist then fold in with a flat scraper, everything is non spark. keep folding in until I get a uniform color, it gets darker the more water is added. how much water do you get at the base of your die when you are pressing yours, mine just barely releases any water. maybe the 20 ton press is too much?

Page 92 of 408 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102142192 ... LastLast