Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 89 of 403 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 8052

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, but I am mechanically challenged! Fly, I am going to PM you!
    gramps

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Ya Bob compresses his pucks in a vice. When you move up in tonnage like 4 tons & up the pvc will deform.
    I have tried to keep the price as low as possibly & my puck dies will last as long as we do. Most here use 6 &
    12 ton press.

Fly
    Probably true, even a big vice might do the same.
    To be honest I haven't felt under powered with the powder that I've been making since I use it for hunting. 2 deer and a bushel basket of squirrels sure couldn't tell the difference.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Bob how do you cook those squirrels. I need to take my .32 crocket out very soon.

Fly

Bob how do you cook those squirrels. I need to take my .32 crocket out very soon.

Fly
    Id be interested as well. We normally fry them, but they usually come out tough. I tried doing dumplings, but the meat came out stringy. Here is a pic from an outing with my dad a few weeks ago. Both guns were his. Sticker is covering 3 squirrels. Not sure about forum rules and gore (one was a head shot, 30 gr of powder at 15 yds!) Second pic is the crockett I picked up last week!

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Crock pot for me. I cook them until tender, then it's a lot easier to get the meat off the bones.

Boolit Master

Fly
    The recipe is in deer camp, 170 miles from here, also where I squirrel hunt. We slow cook them in Chardonnay along with some vegetables and pour over mashed potatoes. Best to just quarter them, not as many bones that way. I got the recipe from the KY F&G Dept Magazine and it is good. I'll try and remember to bring it back and post it if you guys are really interested.
    I fried them for years but like Fishingsetx said they are tough especially the fox squirrels. After that I usually threw them in Burgoo along with all of the other meats that go in it. It cooks so long that it was always tender in that venue but Burgoo is a major hassle and I only did it once a year at the hog roasts that I use to do.
    When my old huntin buddy (RIP) and I spent every weekend this time of year in deer camp we would hunt up camp meet when we weren't deer hunting. This was a nice treat after a cold hunt along with some sort of adult beverage.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    To be honest I haven't felt under powered with the powder that I've been making since I use it for hunting.
    My desire to achieve the same density as Goex is so that my competition target loads will be the same as what I'm currently shooting with Goex.

Of course, since the Goex is glazed, I'm probably looking at doing a new load workup anyway for the home made powder. I'm going to have to plumb the jack with a pressure gauge and use a stopwatch so I can get consistency from batch to batch in the corning process.

Steve

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    My desire to achieve the same density as Goex is so that my competition target loads will be the same as what I'm currently shooting with Goex.

Of course, since the Goex is glazed, I'm probably looking at doing a new load workup anyway for the home made powder. I'm going to have to plumb the jack with a pressure gauge and use a stopwatch so I can get consistency from batch to batch in the corning process.

Steve
    I believe that the way you make your Charcoal will make a bigger difference in consistency than the density. JMHO since I haven't tested that theory.
    I have tested my powder against 2 store brands and found that the difference in velocities when weighed was negligible. There was a difference from volume though. Grain for grain my powder yielded higher velocities than Swiss, generally considered to be the densest of the commercial powder. For competition I use commercial powder but 300yd is the closest we shoot. I'm not sure that the homemade would make any difference at 25, 50 or even 100yd from Goex which I don't shoot since it never shot that well for me at the distances I shoot at.

Bob

Boolit Master
    I agree with Bob. I never shoot over 100 yards, just to many trees in east Okla. Plus with open sights the gun shoots better than me.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    Would using powdered sugar work instead of dextrin? We used sugar and KNO3 for rocket engines.
    luvtn

Boolit Master
    When pressing powder there in no need for a binder. Your pucks will be as hard as china. I,m sending your die set out today my friend.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!
    luvtn

Quote Originally Posted by luvtn View Post
    Would using powdered sugar work instead of dextrin? We used sugar and KNO3 for rocket engines.
    luvtn
    My first batch of powder, I used dextrin made from baking corn starch. I didnt have a die or press yet so it was mix, screen, dry, and corn. That powder was SLOW!

After pressing using fly's die and no dextrin and a 6 ton press, then drying in a dehydrator, my pucks sound like porcelin when tapped together. Still havent chronoed my powder, but judging by shooting several different powders, measured at the same volume at 75 yds, the impact of my powder was almost exactly the same as goex.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingsetx View Post
    My first batch of powder, I used dextrin made from baking corn starch. I didnt have a die or press yet so it was mix, screen, dry, and corn. That powder was SLOW!

After pressing using fly's die and no dextrin and a 6 ton press, then drying in a dehydrator, my pucks sound like porcelin when tapped together. Still havent chronoed my powder, but judging by shooting several different powders, measured at the same volume at 75 yds, the impact of my powder was almost exactly the same as goex.

Staying on the same page with Fly & the rest, I press my pucks with a Harbor Freight 12 ton press, so probably a 6 ton press in the real world, but then I wrap them in butcher paper and throw them into a wooden box for a couple of months. Using two stages of grinding my weight per volume is within 1/2% of Goex and Chrono'd 5% faster. I have gotten these results repeatedly over the last year or so. Keeping your methods as close as you can to the guys that know on here will give you nothing but positive results.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Boolit Master
    I am having problem grinding my powder to fff. I am using a hario grinder at various settings but am getting dust. I have installed the hario bearing to center the shaft and remounted the grinder head so that it is level. I am using 5% dextrin. Any help would be appreciated.

I am pressing to about 1800 psi.

Boolit Master
    Why are you using dextrin if you are pressing your powder into pucks?

Fly

Boolit Master
    A great question. I have not tried it without dextrin because I thought that it would increase the binding. Will try it without and see what happens. It also just occurred to me that I may need to increase pressure until it is dense enough to break into larger bits.

Thanks Fly. And Happy Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Boolit Buddy
    I received the die yesterday, but got home this AM at 0030. Everything is good. Thanks!
    luvtn, out hunting

Boolit Master

I started being real picky about sifting out 3F, zero fines and anything that was bigger than exactly 3F gets reground.

Liked the results.....

(54 caliber flintlock pistol, 25 yards, standing offhand, using the aggregate target my club uses for scoring. score!)
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 12-21-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Staying on the same page with Fly & the rest, I press my pucks with a Harbor Freight 12 ton press, so probably a 6 ton press in the real world
    What do you mean by this? Are you pressing 12 or 6?

Steve

Page 89 of 403 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899139189 ... LastLast