Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 87 of 403 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 8052

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    Where are you guys buying your KNO3 online?

Steve
    Here

http://hobbychemicalsupply.com/?reqp=1&reqr=

Looks like a dead page now? Dunno now, sorry about that.

Thanks, I just ordered 10 pounds of sulfur and 5 pounds KNO3 from them.

I successfully made charcoal tonight. I used Poplar. I do not know if this is a good wood or not, but as I have lots of scrap Poplar, I used it.

I first tried it on my grill side-burner. After going an hour and then shutting it down, it had just started turning black.

So, I put the paint can in my metal-melting furnace. It worked great, but burned the bottom out of my paint can. I'm going to need something more rugged for a retort.

I use a fish cooker/turkey fryer.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Harbor freight Dutch oven works for me. Cheap and tough. Just had to drill a hole in the lid.

Boolit Master

I'm sure many of you already know this, but for those who don't:

(d) Except for the purposes of subsections (d), (e), (f), (g), (h), (i), and (j) of section 844 of this title, "explosives" means any chemical compound mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion- the term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite and other high explosives, black powder, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety fuses, squibs, detonating cord, igniter cord, and igniters.

(h) "Manufacturer" means any person engaged in the business of manufacturing explosive materials for purposes of sale of distribution or for his own use.

(n) "Distribute" means sell, issue, give, transfer, or otherwise dispose of.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58741/download
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Harbor freight Dutch oven works for me. Cheap and tough. Just had to drill a hole in the lid.
    Ahah! That sounds much better! Wont' fit in my furnace though. Might have to do some firebrick stacking.

Steve

Boolit Master
    A outdoor smoker fire box works also or a campfire.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    I have pulverized my KNO3 into dust using a blender, and my charcoal as well. The sulfur is already flour-like. Went to Harbor Freight to get a 6-ton press and they were out of them.

Steve

Boolit Master

I have pulverized my KNO3 into dust using a blender, and my charcoal as well. The sulfur is already flour-like. Went to Harbor Freight to get a 6-ton press and they were out of them.

Steve
    You can do it in a vice till you get the press.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puck maker 002.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    I contemplated using my vice (I have a big one) but I want to do the pressing outdoors. I think I'm going to get the 12-ton HF press as it is on a full-height frame, and then mount it on a dolly so I can wheel it in and out of the garage.

Steve

Boolit Master

here's an odd thought I had, you know how some people talk about using pee as a wetting agent because urea helps the mixture, well would the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) work as well, its urea according to the label and maybe a little more pure than piss.

Boolit Master
    NO, NO, pee does not help in any way, that is a ole wise tail. Some one came up with that because KNO-3 can
    be made from pee. Believe me. If you wanted more than 75% KNO-3 in the mix just add more. But over the
    many years of powder making 75% KNO-3 15% Charcoal 10% Sulfur has been found to work best. Besides
    Charcoal is what makes the power. KNO-3 is just the oxidizer.

To much bad info on the Net. Please don,t muddy the water here.

Fly

Boolit Master

at least I admitted it was an odd thought

Banned

You boys are doing real fine with this thread. I've been following it. Oh making KNO-3 from pee you would have to have a couple tractor trailers loads of Budwizer or Millers to have enough pee to make enough KNO-3 to be worth while! Then the process is long too.

Boolit Grand Master

I thought it was the Bishop's urine that was needed, cause he got all the good booze!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got my charcoal process down. I'm using my Cowboy Furnace (powered by propane venturi burner). I elevated my paint can with some fire brick so it doesn't take the direct blast from the burner so it now survives fine. Had to stack some brick around the top of the furnace since the can now stuck up proud of the top. With the cover in place I can turn a 1-gallon can of Poplar scraps into charcoal in about 30 minutes.

My wife let me have our blender we got for a wedding present 15 years ago as we hardly ever use it. I think I may have used it twice to make milk shakes over the years. Anyway it pulverizes KNO3 prills into dust with ease. As it does the Poplar charcoal bits. I wear a respirator when pulverizing as it makes such a fine dust it actually looks like smoke when you take the lid off the blender.

I've got a 2-drum Harbor Freight tumbler ready to go, though I will likely only drive one drum of powder at a time. I've got a peanut butter jar full of wheel weight lead .69 round balls ready to use as media.

I'll probably go pick up a 12-ton press from Harbor Freight this weekend. Then I'm just waiting for Fly's Puck to arrive and I'm in business!

Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Hi guys,

When you end up with fines after grinding your pucks, do the fines go back into the tumbler for the milling stage or do you mix them directly with green powder at the puck-making stage?

I'd assume since they have already been milled and pressed that they could go straight into the puck making step.

Steve

Hi guys,

When you end up with fines after grinding your pucks, do the fines go back into the tumbler for the milling stage or do you mix them directly with green powder at the puck-making stage?

I'd assume since they have already been milled and pressed that they could go straight into the puck making step.

Steve
    Mine go straight into the puck making stage and are mixed with green powder. Not sure if that is the cirrect way, but seems to work fine for me.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Boolit Master
    I throw mine back in the ball mill with the next batch, but that's just what I do.

Fly

Boolit Master

I just put them back in the press and solidify them again. Whatever is left that isn't enough for another puck is pan priming powder and it works very well.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Got my Fly Puck yesterday, thanks Fly!

From re-reading this thread (I'm on page 61) it seems like in order to get the 3500 PSI that Goex uses a 20-ton press is needed.

Steve

Page 87 of 403 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137187 ... LastLast