Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 86 of 403 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 8052

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    Had to put making powder on the back burner for a couple of weeks, got tied up with the .69 caliber left handed light Dragoon pistol build along with nicking a finger with a band saw, ouch!!.
    Looks like I've a small willow growing on the property which seems to be the charcoal of choice which is good but am still looking for a local supplier of sulfur. For the amount I shoot I really don't need to make black powder but it does sound like a fun project none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Had to put making powder on the back burner for a couple of weeks, got tied up with the .69 caliber left handed light Dragoon pistol build along with nicking a finger with a band saw, ouch!!.
    Looks like I've a small willow growing on the property which seems to be the charcoal of choice which is good but am still looking for a local supplier of sulfur. For the amount I shoot I really don't need to make black powder but it does sound like a fun project none the less.
    I'm not sure about the shipping requirements, but if it isnt considered a hazmat, I'd be happy to ship you some if you'll pay the shipping cost.

Just one small pile of scrap lol.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hey guys, I would have gladly sent anyone some sulfur, but its not cost effective for me to do it. USPS lists it as prohibited, and it would cost close to $20 for me to ship 3 lbs UPS or FedEx. Amazon has it listed at $11 for 3 lbs or $22 for 10 lbs. Those prices are including shipping. If anyone is ever close to me and wants some, just let me know ahead of time and I'll get you a bunch free of charge, but its not worth it to ship it.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	197982
    Cast slug propelled by my homemade black(90 gr) shot out of an 870 rem. black powder shotgun shells are fun! Got about 6" of penetration in that hackberry.

Boolit Mold
    Hi all.
    I found this forum by accident and I'm pleased to meet you, I have read through a lot, but there is so much info. I'm a pyro guy with a passion for black powder rockets, however, I made a .44 cal 12 inch cannon, my powder works really well. I bought a 20kg bag of KN03, fertilizer, which has lasted 10 years, and I have plenty left. Please believe me, it is not pure. Google Richard Nakka rockets, this guy is brilliant, under fuels, go to 'purification'. The process is a pain, but worth getting 99% pure KN03

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Paul View Post
    Hi all.
    I found this forum by accident and I'm pleased to meet you, I have read through a lot, but there is so much info. I'm a pyro guy with a passion for black powder rockets, however, I made a .44 cal 12 inch cannon, my powder works really well. I bought a 20kg bag of KN03, fertilizer, which has lasted 10 years, and I have plenty left. Please believe me, it is not pure. Google Richard Nakka rockets, this guy is brilliant, under fuels, go to 'purification'. The process is a pain, but worth getting 99% pure KN03
    Get the greenhouse grade or (better again?) hydroponics grade fertiliser - is good stuff - my powder does better than Goex over the chronograph - GG KNO3 + yellow dusting sulphur + hybrid willow charcoal.

Boolit Buddy
    Just thought you guys might be interested in another slant on charcoal making: I found it interesting anyway. Making the charcoal starts at about 1 minute in.

https://youtu.be/V_Mp1fNzIT8

Boolit Bub
    Can you use the salt petre that is used for meat curing?

If it is straight kno3. It's not sodium nitrate is it? That makes lousy powder.

Boolit Master
    used to be that salt petre for home curing was Potassium nitrate ---now? Make sure you get the right stuff . should be able to buy greenhouse grade KNO3 from a fertiliser supply - 20 kilo bag - you wont need to do it often! .....OR..... stump remover?

Boolit Master

The KNO3 from my butcher would make powder more expensive than store bought. My first batches were made with Spectracide stump remover and in all honesty I can't tell the difference from the bulk KNO3. CC seems to make the biggest improvement.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Whatever you use, be dang sire it is pure KNO3. Some stump removers are sodium bisufite. I get mine from tractor supply near the chainsaw stuff. About $8 a lb and it goes a long way. The easiest way ive found to check it is to look up the MSDS (SDS) and look at the ingredients section.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Boolit Master

I also used spectracide when I started. $6 at home depot.

It's expensive! $8 even more. But I'm not mail ordering 20 lb when I'm just getting started. 2-3 cans of spectracide from HD was the ticket as proof of concept.

Of course now I buy my KNO3 online for $3.50 a lb, life is good. Goes a long way in bulk

Getting it in 50lb bags makes it cheap as well as not having to order any for a long time.

Boolit Master
    Olyeller,

Stick with Spectracide until you get the processes down.
    After that Duda Diesel has good prices.

I dont make or burn enough to buy in bulk. 2 1lb jugs of spectracide will last me several years at my current rate. I do plan on buying a .32 caliber squirrel gun, but with a new baby, the wife being off for several months, my side business dying off and this harvey ****, it is kinda low on the priority list at the moment! Maybe next season!

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Boolit Buddy
    Of course now I buy my KNO3 online for $3.50 a lb, life is good. Goes a long way in bulk
    Where are you guys buying your KNO3 online?

Steve

Boolit Master
    I got mine from Duda Deisel.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

I too used the Spectracide stump remover. I used "Dusting Sulfur" as well. The charcoal was the issue. I used Mesquite charcoal from the grill. Why not? It worked like garbage, but I now know it works like garbage. I will try to get my hands on some legitimate charcoal and continue on.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I got mine from Duda Deisel.
    Thanks, I just ordered 10 pounds of sulfur and 5 pounds KNO3 from them.

I successfully made charcoal tonight. I used Poplar. I do not know if this is a good wood or not, but as I have lots of scrap Poplar, I used it.

I first tried it on my grill side-burner. After going an hour and then shutting it down, it had just started turning black.

So, I put the paint can in my metal-melting furnace. It worked great, but burned the bottom out of my paint can. I'm going to need something more rugged for a retort.

Page 86 of 403 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596136186 ... LastLast