Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 71 of 410 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 8198

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    Slow, I started it & seems like I keep getting off on something else. I need to get it finished.
    I will report back when I do, hopefully soon.

Fly

Sharpsman
    Hope everybody has the life insurance paid up!!

Just a matter of time!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsman View Post
    Hope everybody has the life insurance paid up!!

Just a matter of time!!
    Obviously you don't have a clue. If you don't want to add anything positive why not go to a thread that you can add something positive to. Reloading is dangerous if you are stupid and don't use common sense, as is casting.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Bob thank you for your post. This is just more of the same ole ignorance that is out there.

Fly

Boolit Master

Let's not forget riding a bike, crossing the street, eating hot pizza, and participating in sexual intercourse. Very, very dangerous indeed.

Boolit Master

derision and jokes aside, it is a simple mistake to swap out the idea behind activities that are "dangerous" and activities that "contain risk". And Risk Management is something all of us participate in every day.

Boolit Master

Biggest danger to me is driving to work. At least once a week some mouth breather crosses the center line while talking on the phone or texting. I figure it is just a matter of time before one of them actually gets me.
    My hobby for 50 years has been jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. During that time I had 14 parachutes not open or malfuntion and had to go to the backup. During the 70s and 80s I was a test jumper. I also fly airplanes and hot air balloons. I have had several dead stick landings during the 44+ years of doing that. I use to scuba dive as well. Somehow the minuscule common sense that is required for making BP is second nature. The above activities were very handy for getting rid of life insurance salesmen though.

Bob

With risk comes benefit. We determine if the level of risk is worth the benefit we receive.

I'm about to head to the gym to workout. There is a higher risk of me hurting something joint/muscle than if I just sat here on the couch. The benefit is that my 65 year old body stays in shape enough to help me enjoy life better.

We mix chemicals to make a substance that is explosive in the right conditions (hope ATF don't read that; just kidding). The benefit is we learn to do something that saves us money and allows us to shoot our guns more reduces our dependence on manufacturers and availability.

And the thing that comes with all of risk is the sense of accomplishment that we have been able to learn to do well something most people are unwilling to do.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    One thing about this. As Bob said driving a car may be one of the biggest dangers we face.
    In driving you can't always control what will happen any given day. But making BP you
    can control how you make it. When something happens it is because of carless nest. Again
    keep it away from heat or sparks. A can of BP caution says the same. Very simple REALLY.

Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Biggest danger to me is driving to work. At least once a week some mouth breather crosses the center line while talking on the phone or texting. I figure it is just a matter of time before one of them actually gets me.
    My hobby for 50 years has been jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. During that time I had 14 parachutes not open or malfuntion and had to go to the backup. During the 70s and 80s I was a test jumper. I also fly airplanes and hot air balloons. I have had several dead stick landings during the 44+ years of doing that. I use to scuba dive as well. Somehow the minuscule common sense that is required for making BP is second nature. The above activities were very handy for getting rid of life insurance salesmen though.

Bob

Geeeeeeez. My hat is off to you sir. I am perfectly comfortable taking a hacksaw, file, or lathe to a hunk of metal I plan to ramp up to 65ksi while my cheek is on it, but man my pucker factor is WAY too high to participate in those activities! More power to you!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Geeeeeeez. My hat is off to you sir. I am perfectly comfortable taking a hacksaw, file, or lathe to a hunk of metal I plan to ramp up to 65ksi while my cheek is on it, but man my pucker factor is WAY too high to participate in those activities! More power to you!
    My point of course is that risks can be managed. All of the problems encountered were trained for long before they were encountered and while raising the Adrenalin levels the response was what was trained for. Same goes for making BP, a little attention to the safety factors prevents piss poor performance.
    I make my powder for hunting and there is great satisfaction in being self sufficient. BTW it is fun to, after all I fire multiple rounds getting ready for the hunting season.

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    My point of course is that risks can be managed.

Bob
    Agreed!

Boolit Buddy
    Got to jump in here on the "risk and dangerous" topic. I have been over 1000 feet under the water, been shot at by angry Koreans and some pot farmers, raced two & four wheeled vehicles at speeds well over 150 mph and flown airplanes upside down very close to the ground. Yet I fear more for my life driving into town than any other situation. I had an "oh whoops" episode with BP that is chronicled in this thread way, way back in the lower page numbers. But even that was nothing more than an interesting pyro display due to ingrained caution & common sense. Along of course with advice and tutelage from my mentors here on this forum. (Thanks Fly, Boz230, Whitrabbit, and many others) Maybe it's just the common sense that was pounded into those of us who grew up in the 60's or maybe the stubbornness of those of us who hate to be told what to do by ignorant politicians (for our own good, HA!) or nosy do-gooders, but I lose my cherub like demeanor when people spout off dire warnings based upon their own ignorance. If you don't want to play with us, go find another field with the other whiners and leave us alone.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hotfxr View Post
    got to jump in here on the "risk and dangerous" topic. I have been over 1000 feet under the water, been shot at by angry koreans and some pot farmers, raced two & four wheeled vehicles at speeds well over 150 mph and flown airplanes upside down very close to the ground. Yet i fear more for my life driving into town than any other situation. I had an "oh whoops" episode with bp that is chronicled in this thread way, way back in the lower page numbers. But even that was nothing more than an interesting pyro display due to ingrained caution & common sense. Along of course with advice and tutelage from my mentors here on this forum. (thanks fly, boz230, whitrabbit, and many others) maybe it's just the common sense that was pounded into those of us who grew up in the 60's or maybe the stubbornness of those of us who hate to be told what to do by ignorant politicians (for our own good, ha!) or nosy do-gooders, but i lose my cherub like demeanor when people spout off dire warnings based upon their own ignorance. If you don't want to play with us, go find another field with the other whiners and leave us alone.
    amen!

Boolit Bub
    Maybe I tend to visit the wrong threads or something, but I see these "you'll shoot your eye out" croakers everywhere I go. Never been quite sure if they're simply full of **** and trying to demonstrate their intellectual superiority, or whether there really are shooters out there who have the personality of a third grade school marm.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotfxr View Post
    Along of course with advice and tutelage from my mentors here on this forum. (Thanks Fly, Boz230, Whitrabbit, and many others) Maybe it's just the common sense that was pounded into those of us who grew up in the 60's or maybe the stubbornness of those of us who hate to be told what to do by ignorant politicians (for our own good, HA!) or nosy do-gooders, but I lose my cherub like demeanor when people spout off dire warnings based upon their own ignorance. If you don't want to play with us, go find another field with the other whiners and leave us alone.
    Well put Sir..bravo zulu

Fly could you please send me some information on your puck dies for powder. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I sent you a PM on my pressing die. Just pm me back if you are interested.

Thanks Fly

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I sent you a PM on my pressing die. Just pm me back if you are interested.

Thanks Fly
    Haven't recived your PM yet

Boolit Master
    I just sent another. Check your messages & let me know.

Fly

Page 71 of 410 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121171 ... LastLast