WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    I learned my lesson years ago when I ran an angle grinder next to car battery that had been on a charger for a few hours. Blew the top of the battery clean off, glad I had safety glasses on. I spread news paper out all over the work bench when mixing or sifting my home made powder, it doesn't take much dust to give an unwelcome surprise.

Boolit Mold
    Not to be weird new guy in the group but has anyone tried Goldenrod before? I made a simple 75 15 10 batch with it but it seems similar to my willow powder, but without a chronograph I can only make guesses here. it "feels" similar if not a pinch stronger than my willow. (Using the colt navy .44cal revolver)

Boolit Master
    Almar;
    Didn't you change your mill media, here a while back? What did you finally use? I use 60 cal. lead, but kept gaining total weight on every batch and finally chased it back to my lead wearing down. I've got some lead with tin in it, that I'm going to try. If it continues to be a problem, I'm going to try the copper tube sections that have been talked about. Or possibly ceramic or brass balls. Which ever I can come up with the cheapest.

Hey Double buck, i switched to ceramic some time ago. Its a little pricey but it dosent wear out. I dont want lead in my powder, i enjoy the smell too much

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstructionK88 View Post
    Not to be weird new guy in the group but has anyone tried Goldenrod before? I made a simple 75 15 10 batch with it but it seems similar to my willow powder, but without a chronograph I can only make guesses here. it "feels" similar if not a pinch stronger than my willow. (Using the colt navy .44cal revolver)
    I have not tried it. I have used it medicinally, though. You might check with a local gun range, or gun shop, or join a local gun club, to find someone with a chronograph that you could set up a couple of tests with. Many times, they have tools to share amongst themselves. Ask about a buy, sell, trade board in the gunshops. I'll bet you can come up with one to rent or borrow. Good luck with it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    Hey Double buck, i switched to ceramic some time ago. Its a little pricey but it dosent wear out. I dont want lead in my powder, i enjoy the smell too much
    Almar;
    Where did you get it? And, what size is it? And, did you ever use lead, to have a comparison of the two, on mill times? I think I've seen you say that you are milling about 4 hours? If so, that is what I generally do, as well. Thanks, bud.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    I have not tried it. I have used it medicinally, though. You might check with a local gun range, or gun shop, or join a local gun club, to find someone with a chronograph that you could set up a couple of tests with. Many times, they have tools to share amongst themselves. Ask about a buy, sell, trade board in the gunshops. I'll bet you can come up with one to rent or borrow. Good luck with it!
    Appreciate the advice! There is a gun range very close to me and I had intended joining anyways.

Im trying to find the link but i deleted my receipt from my emails, something homestead...he sells compression dies and pressure gauges too, i got all of it there before i joined this forum, i think i got the media some time after. Let me keep looking...he is cheaper than other places i found for ceramic media. I built my own ball mill and i strongly suggest it if you havent already, the harbor freight one is not good enough in my opinion, i use it for polishing, or will use it for polishing once i get my powder down the way i like it. I try to stretch it out to 6 hours now, the clumping seems to less severe now with this charcoal.

I think ceramic may take a little longer to grind down due to the fact that its lighter but its clean and last a long time. I used 45 cal lead balls and 57 or 54 cal lead balls in the past i believe.

edit: got it: https://www.woodysrocks.com/store/p3..._Media_.html#/

this is the pressure gauge
    https://www.woodysrocks.com/store/p8..._Gauges.html#/
    i use the 30ksi...accuracy is best achieved when the dial is in mid range.
    Last edited by almar; 09-30-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Almar! I'm looking at your links right now!

Boolit Master
    Yeah, the Harbor Freight tumbler is not so good. I have other tumbler rigs, but thought to use the HF for small batches. It didn't last very long in that capacity... I burned up the motor in it yesterday. I should have kept it relegated to cleaning brass as I had before.

Checking around for a motor online, I found that they commonly fail. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that if you get the unit half full of media, as you should, it's over it's rated weight of 3 pounds by more than double. Since it's kind of a handy little guy, and I'm a "maker and a fixer", I'll likely adapt a much better/more powerful motor to it and keep it going.

Bummer that it quit just now though, as I am working on doing a ball mill powder explosion test with it for some other members. AARRGGHH...

There's lots of ways to approach setting yourself up for ball milling; some of them quite expensive. The best deal short of making your own I believe, is the Frankford Arsenal ball mill. Around a hundred bucks or so, and I really like mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...3038939&sr=8-3

IMPORTANT EDIT!! I HAD NOT USED THIS TUMBLER TO MILL POWDER! AFTER READING THE REVIEWS OF IT, (ON THE FRANKFORD SITE NO LESS), I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND IT FOR MILLING BLACK POWDER!! REPORTS OF IT NOT HANDLING MUCH WEIGHT, BUT WORSE--> STALLED AND OVERHEATED MOTORS AFTER RUNNING A WHILE!! UNSAFE FOR BP--> DO NOT USE!!

Vettepilot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 81hZGw6dBuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 09-30-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    When we discovered my Harbor Freight tumbler not tumbling any more yesterday, the motor was quite hot, yet had not popped a circuit breaker. I don't know, but had we not checked it when we did, we might have had an "explosion test" a bit sooner than anticipated!

So, if ya build your own ball mill, I think it would be very wise to use a thermally protected motor...

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 09-30-2021 at 07:17 PM.

vettepilot, do you know what the rpm is on that frankford by any chance?

Boolit Master
    It's very definitely faster than the Harbor Freight, which is good as the HF is slow at around 45 rpm I believe.

I have a way to check it, but the equipment is "buried" at the moment. Give me a day or two...

Vettepilot

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    It's very definitely faster than the Harbor Freight, which is good as the HF is slow at around 45 rpm I believe.

I have a way to check it, but the equipment is "buried" at the moment. Give me a day or two...

Vettepilot
    This is my ball mill I through together with a few parts from here and there, the motor was from a worn out Ryobi drill press. The motor gets a little warm so I keep a big shop fan on it, so far its been good to me. Until i scavenge a treadmill motor. the pulley ratio is to slow it down to get about 80-90 rpm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ballmill2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	289473

Boolit Master
    @Almar:

I went looking for the rpm number for you, and instead found disturbing info. Important--> please see my revised/edited post above!

Sorry everyone, but glad it's "out"/known now!

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    This is my ball mill I through together with a few parts from here and there, the motor was from a worn out Ryobi drill press. The motor gets a little warm so I keep a big shop fan on it, so far its been good to me. Until i scavenge a treadmill motor. the pulley ratio is to slow it down to get about 80-90 rpm.

Views:	40 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	289473
    Nice job!

Oh yeah, a treadmill motor and controller is "the cat's meow" for a homemade ball mill. I lucked into a whole treadmill for free! I was going to tear it apart and use the bits. But instead I had an idea to use it whole. I did so, and not only does it work great, but I still have a working treadmil too!!

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 09-30-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    Almar;
    I blew your picture up, so I could see your rig. That's cool! And you say you have problems slowing it down to 80-90 RPM, or getting to run that fast?

Boolit Master
    Had to fire up the laptop, as I couldn't add existing photos in my "Manage Attachments" files to a post. They wouldn't "Drag and Drop" in the Android tablet.

Anyway, here's some pics of my converted treadmill. Another cool thing about treadmill motors (and controllers), besides having rpm control, is they "soft-start", which is nice when starting up something heavy, like a milling jar half full of lead!

As far as making your own, here's a very good price on the pillow block bearings, and an old washing machine motor works well and are fairly easy to scrounge up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vettepilot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a-4.jpg   a-3.jpg   a-2.jpg   a-5.jpg  
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 09-30-2021 at 08:01 PM.

dang! That good vette! smart.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    Almar;
    I blew your picture up, so I could see your rig. That's cool! And you say you have problems slowing it down to 80-90 RPM, or getting to run that fast?
    here you go doublebuck

Views:	29 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	289479

its so that it would run slower.
    Last edited by almar; 09-30-2021 at 08:40 PM.

Page 218 of 410 FirstFirst ... 118168208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228268318 ... LastLast