RepackboxLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    Thursday, my friend brought me some more willow. Saturday I broke some down into 1.25 inch cubes and filled two 5 gal. pails. Think I might have enough left for at least one more pail. The next project will be to turn it into charcoal. I use a gallon paint can for a retort. Too windy too fire up the burner for the nest couple of days. Should be enough to build up my Willow supply again. Doing well with Tree of Heaven.

Well set for awhile. Nice to have friends.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    Thursday, my friend brought me some more willow. Saturday I broke some down into 1.25 inch cubes and filled two 5 gal. pails. Think I might have enough left for at least one more pail. The next project will be to turn it into charcoal. I use a gallon paint can for a retort. Too windy too fire up the burner for the nest couple of days. Should be enough to build up my Willow supply again. Doing well with Tree of Heaven.

Well set for awhile. Nice to have friends.

swamp
    How has the TOH done for you? Just curious since it has worked well for me.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Boz,
    I have not done a lot of testing with it. Just some plinking. I am quite happy with it. It burns real clean. If I remember right I got 7-10 shots before needing to swab. Wanted to see how long I could go. All in all, I am quite happy with TOH, Willow, and Red Alder. The Alder I got from TheOutlawKid. Willow and TOH are local/
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure this is the right area to ask [semi related to BP], but were did the "making priming compound" sticky in special projects go? I last checked it last weekend and its not there now. Did some one complain? or are we getting more causus do to the inherent dangers of the raw materials used?
    Shaune509

Not sure whats happening but today the priming compound post is back. May be due to the updates that are beeing worked on???
    Last edited by shaune509; 01-09-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Tree Of Life, I have been reading about it on this site for a long time, wishing that it grew in the woods around here somewhere and I could find it. Okay, I found out the name of the "tree" is Moringa Olifera maybe Oliferia, a plant/tree that is well known South of our border and we are now finding out about it. Found it on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moringa-Ole...MAAOSwzFxa7T0n and ordered the seeds. It will grow in the deep South up to where freezes in the winter. But, it is said to grow to ten foot tall in one season. You harvest the leaves and use in salads, dried and crushed into powder and put in your juice/ drinks. It is used for many health problems hence the name "Tree Of Life". I have the seeds that I ordered and am sprouting three seeds to put in pots then transplant. Plan to plant a 25 foot row with six plants spaced equally. Should that be sucessful, one could grow their own black powder charcoal. Check the link above and I found in a search Moringa in Collumbia and saw plants/trees up to six inches diameter about six feet high. They were harvesting the limbs, then striping off the leaves to use in commercial pills. Bought a 00 pill maker and 00 empty capsules and enough powder to make 550 pills and take it morning and evening for one week already with no side effects. Research and you can learn all about the promised benefits.

Boolit Master
    I don't know about Tree of Life, but Tree of Heaven grows here(Denver, co) like a weed.

swamp

Boolit Master
    Today I mixed up a pound of powder using Tree Of Heaven charcoal.
    I will probably press it into pucks tomorrow.
    Not being our Normal Heat down here , it will take a few days to dry.
    I will keep you posted on how it works

Moderator Emeritus

Tree of Heaven is an invasive species and should be eliminated whenever possible. I had posted previously I would have sworn none were around me until I really looked. It is everywhere.

Could one of you guys please post a picture of the "Tree of Heaven". It seems that I may have made a mistake in naming the plants. Pictures::: https://gd.image-gmkt.com/MORINGA-OL....g_400-w_g.jpg

Boolit Master
    Lags: Did you ever make it to Cottonwood? According to this, there should be Tree of Heaven there too...

https://cals.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr...eofheaven.html

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    I never made it to Cottonwood.
    It is Snowing up there along the Verde River.
    I don't like the cold , and it is harder to find the correct trees without leaves on them this time of year.
    Once it thaws out I will be headed up there.
    It is only a 90 Mile drive from me.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I understand. At some point in the (hopefully near) future I will likely be moving back to northern Az., and will be able to have a look along the Verde River as well.

Man, don't ever go camping along that river! I did, exactly one time. The bull frogs kept us up all night with incredibly loud bellowing, and the mosquitoes dam near killed us!!

You know, I bet there's some of the trees we seek along the Gila River as well. I am almost sure of it as I think back to the time I tubed it. Man, that was a long time ago... worth checking if you get a chance.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    I made some cotton wood coal years back. It was very fast, but maybe the dirtiest stuff I ever shot. I mean if you could load twice with out
    cleaning you were lucky. Maybe why the south lost the civil war?

Fly

Boolit Master
    The intent to visit Cottonwood was to look for willows and possibly Tree of Heaven.
    According to the Forest Department , the Verde River would be the closest area to me where they would grow , among the Cottonwoods.
    But I might just snag some Cottonwood sticks when I am up there just to play with.

Boolit Master
    Well I got some black willow headed your way this week, also!

Fly

Boolit Master
    Thank you.
    Did you work on the Casing conversions yet ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The intent to visit Cottonwood was to look for willows and possibly Tree of Heaven.
    According to the Forest Department , the Verde River would be the closest area to me where they would grow , among the Cottonwoods.
    But I might just snag some Cottonwood sticks when I am up there just to play with.
    I would be willing to bet money you'll find Willow there. Whether it is the coveted "Black Willow" will be the question.

Regarding Tree of Heaven, if you don't find it around Cottonwood, you might try looking along the river up towards Jerome.

I am anxious to hear what you find. I know.... too cold up there just now.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Lags I,m still messing with them. But I think they will work fine. Just a little time consuming but once there done it will work fine.
    I tried that hydraulic primer removal & all that did was swell the brass necks.That might work better on the steel cases. I ended up using your jig in my vertical mill to hold
    them once I centered the cases & it has worked fine. I,m going to try the copper tube deal. Keep you posted.

Thanks Fly

Boolit Master

What says the collective about using water vs a solvent (IPA?) to spritz over the ball-milled-air-float powder before it goes in the puck presser? Anyone try both and have a preference? I have only used water to date, and it gets very messy. I am wondering if I would be better off using another material like IPA or even acetone.

Boolit Master
    I use 90 per cent alcohol. Works well for me.
    swamp

Page 148 of 409 FirstFirst ... 4898138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158198248 ... LastLast