Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    I have seen signs up near Campgrounds that said.
    Collection of Firewood or removal of trees is Prohibited.

Boolit Master
    In any case, I don't think anyone would bother you for taking a few laundry baskets full of dead Willow limbs, which is what we would want.

Now a wood trailer with a cord of wood or two with chainsaws and axes on top would be a different movie....

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    Hmmm.... well, things change, and never for the better with the government. On my last two camping trips to the forest with my daughter, (both within the last year), we didn't encounter any problems with wood gathering, but then we always camp far from established camp grounds; both because we like the solitude, and to safely shoot our guns without complaints.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Well, here is some info for your area. Might need a lawyer to help decipher it all. You can just substitute the county in the middle of the URL for other Az. areas.

https://firerestrictions.us/az/az-maricopa-county/

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    The campgrounds were I saw the signs were established pay to camp spaces.
    I haven't seen the signs out in the open Boonie campgrounds.
    I think the forest service recognises that the pay to camp spaces get more traffic , and do not want the City Campers abusing the well used forest areas.
    Makes sense.
    Heck , half the year they won't even let you have open campfires because of High Fire Dangers.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, you're right. Some people strip campgrounds bare naked scrounging firewood. Hopefully it'll still be all right out in the "boonies" where the city slickers are skeered ta go....

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 12-25-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Master

http://southwestdesertflora.com/Webs...licaceae/Salix gooddingii, Goodding's Willow.html

Az guys, this type of black willow is supposed to be found all through Az with few areas absent due to no water. Should help put ya'll on the right track!
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    Roy AZ is a very different state. I just got back from Christmas visit with my son & family. We spent Christmas at
    Pine Top 2&1/2 hours north of Phoenix with a white Christmas. Drove back to the desert 60 degrees. It only depends
    where you are there. I have never seen one in all my trips out there. I,m not saying they don't grow there, just not
    much if any where I have been.

Fly

Boolit Master

Well I haven't been back in a lot of years....grew up on San Carlos Apache rez and hunted & fished Gila river and creeks. Used to be willow all along the watercourses back then, I supposed it wouldn't be much different now.
    The site I tried to link claims Goodings Black Willow is native and common in riparian areas through much of Az. Just tryin to be helpful.....
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    With Arizona being so dry, the problem is often "seasonal wet areas". Willow type vegetation needs year round water sources, and many "wet areas" of Arizona dry up; anywhere from months, to sometimes years!

San Carlos Lake itself, and others in the state, have dried up and disappeared at times before. (Yes, whole lakes!)

But I am moderately confident that we will find some willow. LAGS, have you the ability to check the Cottonwood area??

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Yeah LAGS, I bet you find some in Cottonwood.

https://cals.arizona.edu/yavapaiplan...ies=gooddingii

Vettepilot

Mr.vettepilot...you need charcoal? Got willow and red alder if you need any. Lemme know

Boolit Master
    Well, yeah. I want to find a source of wood.... I am all geared up to make my own charcoal. I could use some good charcoal for now, but with the outrageous cost of shipping these days, shipping the wood would cost a bundle.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    I will have to take a run over to Cottonwood and see what is there besides Cottonwoods.
    But cottonwood was what the South used for their powder in the Civil War.
    But I heard it burns very dirty.

Boolit Master
    Roy I know you were trying to be help full that's what we do here. I was just saying it is scarce in AZ. But yes around
    lakes & rivers are the best bet. Not so much in washes but worth a try.

Fly

Mr.vettepilot. how much you need? I can send it in a usps shipping box...if it fits it ships box..and it doesnt cost much. Shipping is like 18 bux i think. I can send you willow and red alder charcoal, or if you want wood i can send the actual red alder blocks i have left. I have no willow wood left...just the willow charcoal. I wont charge you for the bit of charcoal so just pay shipping and ill help ya out. Ive sent charcoal to swamp and fly and a couple others so you know im serious. Always willing to help others in our hobby whenever i can

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I will have to take a run over to Cottonwood and see what is there besides Cottonwoods.
    But cottonwood was what the South used for their powder in the Civil War.
    But I heard it burns very dirty.
    Yes, all reports I've read indicate Cottonwood burns dirty. (Stinks when burnt too.) But I know Cottonwoods need a bunch of water, and I have found that Willow often grows where there are Cottonwood. And there are a lot of huge Cottonwoods near Cottonwood, Az. Let me know what you find out.

OutLaw Kid: Thanks so much for the offer. I will PM you after I get paid on the first.

Thanks,
    Vettepilot

Boolit Mold
    Sent you a PM Fly

Boolit Master
    Yes John I read it & replied.

Fly

Boolit Master

has anybody substituted creosote for charcoal, would it be stronger or weaker do you think. how could you compare it with out making it into powder, some kind of burn test?
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Page 147 of 410 FirstFirst ... 4797137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157197247 ... LastLast