Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: My homemade black powder

I think this thread is over and out. Black powder improvement has reached its pinnacle. How about ball shells and color scheme next , Or what to seal that new shed with....
    Last edited by super6; 08-16-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    I think this thread is over and out. Black powder improvement has reached its pinnacle. How about ball shells and color scheme next , Or what to seal that new shed with....
    This thread isn't just about BP improvement, it's a out BP discussion. Not over, not out...

Boolit Master
    If there are more than three things to remember I write them down then forget where I put the list. LOL. The drill bit I'm looking for is already in the drill

Boolit Master
    Well Super 6
    I would like some help with the selection of material for my work bench Top for making my Black Powder.
    Before I had just painted plywood.
    Then I covered that with a layer of removable EPDM Rubber.
    Does anyone else have any better suggestions ?
    I thought about Formica, or even Vinyl Plank Flooring that I have left over from the old house remodel, or even FRP paneling. ( Fiberglass reinforced Paneling like they use in commercial kitchens and rest rooms )
    Last edited by LAGS; 08-16-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Indian Joe.
    I had not thought about a Drying Table yet.
    But I too am particular about stiff getting in my powder when I am making it.
    That is why I want a Table Top that is Non Sparking, Non Conductive, and easy to clean off of both Powder and any Damp Powder that gets spilled on it.
    Any Powder that I make that I suspect get contaminated like with Sawdust or leaves blowing off the trees, I just use it for Model Rockets, or I Light it off in the Yard for my wife's granddaughters.
    They are under 6 years old, and think it is a Magic Show. " POOF"

Use the formica counter top; it h AZ s a backsplash to keep things from fall ing off the back and a front "swell" to keep things from rolling off the front, just *** some side rails. That's what I use for my loading bench.

Boolit Master
    @ pwc
    I have a friend that does Countertops, and I just retiring from the construction business, I still have connections for Tops as well as Cabinets.
    But with all my free time, I chose to build the cabinets myself.
    I like the Formica Top Idea, Non Static, non porous, easy to clean. ( way better than the old rubber EPDM pond liner that I was using )
    We may have to get together once I get the shop finished, and exchange Ideas since we dont live worlds apart.
    I still have connections at " The Stone Collection " that I built up in Phoenix.
    But I don't think I want Stone, Marble, or Quarts Tops.
    I have seen stone tops Spark if you accidentally drop something steel on them
    Last edited by LAGS; 08-17-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've been using an aluminum full sized cake pan for a drying pan and working with my home grown BP. It's made of heavy aluminum and has a rolled edge about 1/2 inch high. All I do is line it with five or six layers of newspaper and spread out my BP evenly on it. I have a piece of tempered glass out of a screen door which gets laid on top and I use a 1/4 inch dowel under the glass at one end for air flow. The whole thing gets put out in the direct sunlight and the powder gets gently stirred about every hour or so with a plastic spoon. I can dry almost an entire pound of screened BP in a day. Don't know if that can help with the corned BP makers, I would think the setup would work well with drying BP pucks also.
    Most of the time my work bench is covered with a layer of heavy cardboard for protection. I've a nice woodworking bench made out of beech which I try to keep clean and the cardboard is a good sacrificial surface. Beside that just make sure you sweep up any residue and fines after working with BP, the stuff will surprise you if even a microscopic amount gets spilled.
    Last edited by Eddie2002; 08-17-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Drying Pucks out in the sun here in the dry desert is no problem during most of the year.
    I just set them in an aluminum backing dish out in the sun on the patio for the whole day uncovered.
    I don't have to worry about them, even if the wind comes up.
    I haven't done much Screened Powder since I got the pressing dies from Fly, which work much better than the PVC ones that I made.
    But making Screened powder is on the agenda for when I get back up and running.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad to see this thread finally getting back on trach. The last several posts certainly didn't belong here in my opinion. It just adds to unnessery bandwidth everyone, especially new members have to wade through. Hopefully no hurt feelings as I know it's easy to stray from the topic.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master
    I do have a question , but not about Making the powder, But about Storing the powder once it is made.
    So Far, I have been using empty Plastic Powder cans from Smokeless and Pyrodex.
    But what else would be preferred to store your homemade stuff in.
    I so know that some plastics can be wrong for contact with certain Chemicals for prolonged periods of time.
    Certain plastics also generate Static Electricity.
    Also, certain Plastics will draw out certain Chemicals from the stored material.
    I am collecting some Plastic Mayonnaise containers, and also have a few Plastic Jugs left over from Cat Litter.
    Has anyone experienced any problems with what the powder gets stored in ?
    I do have several Metal Containers from 40 year old BP and some from Smokeless Powders.
    But from all I have heard, , storing BP in a metal container is not a good Idea.
    I also have several Gallon Paint Cans.
    The modern style with the Plastic Bottom and a metal lid.

Boolit Master
    I've been storing my home made in the one pound smokeless jugs with no problems so far but I'm only just through my first year of storage. I wouldn't think the plastic containers would be any problem, Geox is being sold in plastic containers now and some of my smokeless has been around for seven or eight years in plastic jugs. I would think that keeping your powder in mayo jars would work, just store the full jugs in the dark. I would also think that the larger containers like a gallon paint container could potentially draw more moisture out of the air when opened. I've been using plastic peanut butter and mayo jars for center fire reloads with no problems. I try to keep my home grown in the one pound plastic containers, it just feels a little safer. No matter what size the containers need to be air tight even after repeated openings.

Boolit Master
    The thought crossed my mind about the clear Mayo containers exposing the powder to light if not kept in the dark.
    I actually saved the gallon paint cans for storage of the milled chemicals like charcoal Sulphur and Kno3 and not as much for the finished powder.
    I have plenty of smokeless powder in plastic containers, but am not shooting as much Smokeless these days to end up with any more empty containers.
    And why buy more Pryodex or other Substitute powder, when I am making my own BP.
    That is why I thru out the question on what others use.
    Has anyone tried Things like Tupperware containers that are not clear, or similar products made by Rubbermaid with the screw on lids ?
    I use those for doing Shake and bake Powdercoating, but they just don't seem to be all that durable.
    I have had several crack within months.

Boolit Master
    I store mine in plastic gal coffee container's with snap on lids. They keep it dry. Just be sure & store it with your gun stuff. If not
    you may wake up haft a sleep & try to make a cup of black powder instead of coffee, they look a lot alike. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly

Boolit Master
    Thank you guys.
    You already have been a big help, and I am glad I was thinking along the same lines.
    I too was looking for a Larger storage container, and intended to use my limited supply of Old Powder Cans to be used for the transporting of the powder to the range or for hunting trips.
    My wife did find some Opaque Plastic Food storage containers at work with screw on lids that were about a gallon size.
    But I suspect they were not Anti Static Plastic.
    When you put a small amount of powder in them, then shook it around, a fair amount of powder would cling to the sides like it was magnetized.
    I had considered using the plastic Coffee containers, but was afraid that the lids could pop off easily.
    I do use those coffee containers right now for storage of my polished Brass for reloading.
    Muscle building Supplement Containers ??
    Maybe I should look into getting into better shape . LOL

Moderator Emeritus

My older protein containers where the white ones but they were discontinued. My current ones are more an orange tinted. No I don't work out anymore with my neck/back but continue to take the powder every morning.

Please excuse my last post, I Now see where all were going.Still like Polyethylene For storage symbol 2, Better yet are metal Quart containers As alcohol is sold in.
    Last edited by super6; 08-18-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy
    I use large Target trail mix jars and keep them all in a cabinet. I also throw a couple of desiccant packs in each jar just to keep the moisture out. As far as work benches go, I wound up with a few solid core door blanks that were finished on both sides. They make incredible, smooth heavy duty bench tops.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Boolit Master
    No problem Super 6
    We do sometimes wander, but hopefully it stems from things others need info on.
    We can only rehash the Making of the actual powder so many times.
    But there are a lot of things that are related to the production of the powder, that are never discussed.
    But it needs to cool down a bit outside, so I can spend some time Testing the powder that I already made in three or four rifles before I start in on my next batches. ( and Try to improve them if needed )
    But you did give me an idea by mentioning the metal containers.
    A few Years back, they use to sell Beer in Aluminum Wide Mouth Screw on lid containers.
    I used some of them to store small amounts of shotgun shot when the bag was getting low.
    I am not much of a Beer Drinker, but I do have plenty of friends that are.
    If they still sell those style of cans, I will buy some and invite my friends over for a barbeque to empty them for me.
    The aluminum might be better than steel containers since it wont rust, and wont Spark if hit.
    Last edited by LAGS; 08-18-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Lags said "A few Years back, they use to sell Beer in Aluminum Wide Mouth Screw on lid containers." they still do, I've seen them with Coors light in them. Another good container would be Gatorade bottles,they have a large mouth and screw on tops. I've been drinking a lot of Gatorade lately guess it's time to save some. Don't know how happy the range officer would be at the local range if I showed up packing a bunch of Coors cans, maybe a quick coat of paint would help. LOL

Page 142 of 410 FirstFirst ... 4292132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152192242 ... LastLast